Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How stable are TT1's?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How stable are TT1's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tinstaafl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: How stable are TT1's? Reply with quote

We've had a TT One for just over a week and admittedly not really used it much yet. We bought it mainly for the camera database and live traffic info/rerouting rather than direction finding.

However, when I've been sitting playing with it I've suffered a number of lockups and crashes. If the device has a route set it doesn't lose this upon the restart so it doesn't seem to be that serious. However, the other night, it crashed 3 times in a 2 minute period :/ I admit I was navigating around the menu system at some speed a couple of times but once it did it just giving directions in the car - nowhere near any cameras incidently.

The device is completely standard other than having the PGPSW database installed.

I just wondered if this just came with the territory and if not, where I should be looking for a solution. IE; is it likely to be a corrupt map, duff SD card, faulty hardware, etc. Traffic is enabled and set to update every 15 minutes. The thing didn't crash before this and the camera database were installed btw. I'm not expecting a definitive answer, more just trying to gauge how stable these things are in practice!

Thx
tinstaafl
dbarfoot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Traffic is enabled and set to update every 15 minutes. The thing didn't crash before this and the camera database were installed btw.

I have a similar experience, however, it's starting to look like it's route related or GPRS/Traffic related to me. I have the 20 odd camera files installed and update the Traffic every 15 minutes and travelling up/down the A303 it will reboot every 50 mile or so without fail. Travelled 250 miles along the A31/35 and back the other day and not a single crash, once I started up the A303 again, the crashes reappeared.

The other thought that occurred to me is that a few times I've noticed that the crash occurs in areas where my GPRS signal is weak/non-existent.

I'll probably experiment with reduced frequency of traffic updates, or turning it off altogether next week to see if that changes the behaviour. If that doens't work I'll put together another SD card restored from my initial backup.

Dave.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How stable are TT1's? Reply with quote

tinstaafl wrote:
We've had a TT One for just over a week and admittedly not really used it much yet. We bought it mainly for the camera database and live traffic info/rerouting rather than direction finding.

However, when I've been sitting playing with it I've suffered a number of lockups and crashes. If the device has a route set it doesn't lose this upon the restart so it doesn't seem to be that serious. However, the other night, it crashed 3 times in a 2 minute period :/ I admit I was navigating around the menu system at some speed a couple of times but once it did it just giving directions in the car - nowhere near any cameras incidently.

The device is completely standard other than having the PGPSW database installed.
TT
I just wondered if this just came with the territory and if not, where I should be looking for a solution. IE; is it likely to be a corrupt map, duff SD card, faulty hardware, etc. Traffic is enabled and set to update every 15 minutes. The thing didn't crash before this and the camera database were installed btw. I'm not expecting a definitive answer, more just trying to gauge how stable these things are in practice!

Thx
tinstaafl

IF there isnt much spare space on your card go to a bigger one, and look to see if there is a software upgrade as well. Doing both of those fixed a TT crash that occurred everytime I went by a specific point (at which there was a speed camera). I cant say say which of those it was but as the SD cards are v cheap (the one I have is now about £5 on Amazon) its worth trying.

Tw
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to say the same thing.
Assuming the One is similar to the Go300, there isn't enough room on the supplied SD card to have the PGPSW cameras and all the standard voices and the latest firmware, and still have some thinking space.
mrzipy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a lock up or crash here.
Thewisp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am resurrecting an old thread here but has anyone else had satellite fix problems or crashes with the TT1.

I've only had my unit for a week or so but i've yet to complete a journey without the unit crashing. Once a GPS signal has been lost, it will not return until I turn the thing off/on.

I have not been travelling in any city or built up environments which may affect the reception.

I have a BMW 3 series. I'm not certain if it has a reflective windscreen or not but the unit does hold a good lock for lengthy periods without a problem.

Any suggestions before I put it on ebay? Evil or Very Mad
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not take it back to where you bought it from and demand a refund - it is not fit for purpose at present
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Thewisp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion about ebay was tongue in cheek but I was really disappointed about the performance particularly after all the good reviews that this product gets.

Anyway, my frustration continued - could it be this poor or am I expecting too much?

I returned it to the retailer and had it replaced. The new new unit is spot on. Quick fix onto the satellites and it retains a hold.

Cheers Smile
redcivictyper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too had problems with crashes so i bought a bigger card and have not had a glitch of any kind since (touch wood) Confused
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my dad a one for christmas - he's in his seventies & doesn't like technology - BUT has not had a single problem with it - he uses it in a year old BMW 320d and the unit is unaffected by the windscreen.

I've installed the camera database on the supplied card and the latest software - not one crash.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used mine every day for a month and had not a single lock up. I copied everything to a much larger and faster SD card the day I bought it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: