Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ipaq 4700, TTN & Mp3 player?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ipaq 4700, TTN & Mp3 player?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazzajones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: ipaq 4700, TTN & Mp3 player? Reply with quote

Hi Guys

thinking of buying an ipaq 4700 and putting TTN5 on it with a bluetooth reciever to use on my bike. Ipaq will sit in my pocket whilst the reciever will be under the fairing. I intend to use headphones and rely on voice prompts whilst on the bike, and normal speaker whilst in the car.

Can anyone tell me if i will be able to use an mp3 player as well as run TTN or will they interfer with each other. Would be nice to ride along listening to tunes and be told where to go. Being a PDA newbie i have lots of things to find out before i commit to buy.

Also, whats the battery life gonna be like?

Many thanks for any advice in advance.
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There,

It's been documented elsewhere that TTN is very processor hungry so your 4700 would probably be flat out just running the software let alone being used as an MP3 player as well. Having said that, the last time I remember this coming up, one or two people said they were listening to MP3 players as well.

With regards to battery life, my 4700 has given good service with regards to battery life, however, I run it in the car via the cigar lighter to keep it fully charged.

You won't have a cigar lighter on your bike 8O so you might need to wire something in to provide power to the 4700 and the receiver.

One thing to note, the 4700 get very hot when it is running TTN as it is working so hard so don't put a 'Yorkie' in the same pocket Wink

I hope this is some help to you.

Bodger
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm this will work on the 4700 - I have just tried it on my mates unit, the only drawback as BodgerBaz mentioned it gets very hot, 30 mins and its uncomfortable to hold!!
You can expect about 3 to 4 hours use offf the internal battery, but I would recommend fitting a charger socket to the bike, also for use in the car consider an amplified mount the audio output of the 4700 isn't that good.
The 4700 is a great choice, but there may well be a more upto date unit about to be released incorporating the VGA screen with WM2005, so if its not urgent I might be tempted to wait a month or two - Mike
steve_p
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi: I have used a hx4700 with Tomtom 5 whilst simultaneously playing audio through Windows Media Player in the car extensively for the past year. The processor can easily handle it. Rather more difficult is controlling Media Player whilst Tomtom is running. It's easiest if you merely intend to play a long playlist. If you want to be able to change tracks, you'll need a decent button re-mapping tool such as Vito Buttonmapper and a task-switchear mapped to one of the device's buttons to allow you to take the focus away from Tomtom to Media Player. It's also useful if you've got a media player skin with large control buttons (the MS Voice Command skin is ideal) since the biggest weakness of the hx4700 is the lack of decent hardware buttons and D-pad.

Note that under WM5 (which is available as an update for the hx4700) Media Player will for some unknown reason pause at the end of each track if Tomtom is active and has the focus). Under WM2003 there's no problem.

Lastly, be warned that Tomtom ogg files are recorded with a very high line out. This results (if you are intending to hook up the 3.5mm stereo jack to your car radio) in Tomtom routing commands playing excessively loud. There's not much you can do about this other than use one of the Tomtom sound editing tools to edit the data.chk file and install quieter versions of each voice command!

Cheers,
Steve
steve_p
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzajones: Just re-read your post. There's no way on earth you are going to be able to contol the PPC via voice command on a bike! You'd need a bluetooth headphone to talk to the thing but sadly at least MS' Voice Command will not work (at least on a Broadcomm Bluetooth stack such as that on the hx4700) via bluetooth and even if it did the background noise would put paid to any attempt. Voice Command doesn't even work well enough in the car for me to bother using it. Easiest solution: Get a bike mount for the PDA, stick the PDA in something waterproof (look at the Aquapak PDA cases) and use wired headphones to either navigate or listen to music!

Steve
badgerdid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the 4700 for tomtom and played my mp3s at the same time, it works a treat.
In the car i also play everything through a fm transmitter so it plays through the car radio, and its very very good.

You can get adapters for your bike to connect a cigarette lighter socket to so you could charge it at the same time, also a m8 has a tank bag wth a clear top and puts his mobile in that, he has tomtom on his nokia, he said it works great.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use TT5 on a 4700 on my bike. Please don't put it in a tank bag. You have to look down a long way to see it and you will take your eyes off the road for a few seconds - which is plenty long enough for problems to arise (don't ask how I know this).....

Instead, get a holder which sits just below the speedo (from the eye).

Alan
badgerdid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of holder do you use and how do you make it waterproof?
Is there a case to do it so i can use headphones through it too.

thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: