Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GB.postal- postcode file, only one version available?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GB.postal- postcode file, only one version available?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
divadiow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: GB.postal- postcode file, only one version available? Reply with quote

has anyone established whether the postcode file gets updated at all?
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very good question - I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to that either. Given that new developments (residential and industrial) are springing up all over the country there must be new post codes being invented to cope with these new "addresses"?
Your post has had plenty of viewings but sadly there doesn't so far seem anyone able to answer your question.

Tom

IPAQ2210/ROM-1.10/LEXAR 32X 256MB SD/Kingston ElitePro 1GB CF
TTN3-V3.03/Wired GPS-V3.03/Globalsat BT-338
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be updated with a new map release (so I reckon) the postcode file with the vs5 maps is 8,8MB the same file for version six is 9,8MB so that adds up to a large change since the last map update - Note I have compared a TTN5,21 with the Go-910 files so they are not from the exact same platform - Mike
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a question very similiar to this some time ago, the answer that was given was that the countrey is already split up into postcodes and as new developments are being built they naturally take on the postcodes of wherever they are.

Howard
Active Synch 4.5
MohairSofa Calendar+Today Plug-in Ver.2.5.2
Softwinter Storage Tools Ver.2.0 ppc 420
Pocket Informant 9.01 build2390
Sprite Back up Ver 6.5.4 build 16
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not always true. A friend moved into a new development in Oxford. He was allocated a postcode, but all nternet mapping products showed he lived in Oxford's main sorting office for the first 15 months or so that he lived there.
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know the truth of what was actually said, however, it makes sense that the whole country is already split into postcodes and as new developments are built you naturally fall into that postcode.
That of course wouldnt account for the fact that the post office or whoever is responsible for allocating post codes could still put you into the wrong post code area or give you the wrong post code to start with.

Howard
Active Synch 4.5
MohairSofa Calendar+Today Plug-in Ver.2.5.2
Softwinter Storage Tools Ver.2.0 ppc 420
Pocket Informant 9.01 build2390
Sprite Back up Ver 6.5.4 build 16
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read the blurb from Infomaps navigator 6 they say that they have 400,000 more postcodes than TomTom
theripper
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howarduk wrote:
I dont know the truth of what was actually said, however, it makes sense that the whole country is already split into postcodes and as new developments are built you naturally fall into that postcode.
That of course wouldnt account for the fact that the post office or whoever is responsible for allocating post codes could still put you into the wrong post code area or give you the wrong post code to start with.

Howard

Post codes are allocated to streets - if the street does not exist it does not have a post code. It is a myth that they are allocated to areas. The area is the code up to the last number. The final two letters are allocated on a street by street basis as the streets are created. If a street is demolished, its post code(s) are released and can be reused in a different location after two years. As I said above, post codes may be allocated, but temporarily linked to a different geographical location when first created. Finally, businesses that recieve at least 500 pieces of mail a day can be allocated their own post code which will, within limits, follow the business if it relocates. The important thing is that post codes are allocated for efficient delivery of mail, and not for in-car navigation. All is discussed in this document which while written by a statistician, does show the problems associated in using post codes as a proxy for geographical location.

http://www.ninis.nisra.gov.uk/mapxtreme/linkeddocs/GeoreferencePaper_Dec2005.pdf
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theripper wrote:
If you read the blurb from Infomaps navigator 6 they say that they have 400,000 more postcodes than TomTom
theripper

Bulls**t
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
argosafe
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it? The fact is TTN needs a forum like this to solve its various limitations is, as you put it so usefully, bulls**t.
IPAQ 4700
Globalsat Bt 338
Globalsat 337 CF reciever
Navman sleeve
256Mb Kingston CF Card
Lexar 512Mb card
Toshiba 1Gb SD card
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT has full 7 figure post code search for the UK - you don't get any more than 7 figures on a UK postcode. I have used its postcode search many times in many parts of the UK and it has never let me down and always got me to within a few hundred yards (at worst) of the address I was trying to find.

At the most that database of codes is 2 or 3 years old and at that time it held all of the then postcodes in the UK. There are not 400,000 new post codes been added in the last 2 or 3 years - that would just make no sense whatsoever. It would also mean not just a few complaints of the occassional missed post code (as we get on these forums) but thousands of them. It simply makes no sense other than as a load of marketing bulls**t

I am sure every sat nav system has limitations and TT is no different but to suggest that there are 400,000 more postcodes on one than another that uses 7 figure post codes is simple hype. I suggest you ask Infomaps (or whoever owns them) exactly how they calculate that figure and then we may be able to see whether my opinion is right or wrong.
Copilot for USA
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who works for a company who holds a licence to issue the PAF (Fostcode Address File), I can confirm that they are update regularly. I am trying to find out how regularly and will add this later today.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We update our customers PAF every 3 months.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:
We update our customers PAF every 3 months.

Simon - you may be the man to sort this out then - have you added 400,000 new post codes since TT produced their database. Am ready with hat and tomato sauce if need be. :D
Copilot for USA
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that when I tried the beta version of Infomap Navigator I put in a postcode for a PO Box and navigator gave me the address
theripper

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: