Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin GTM units - postcodes of good and bad signal areas...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin GTM units - postcodes of good and bad signal areas...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Garmin GTM units - postcodes of good and bad signal areas... Reply with quote

Hi,

Further to a brief discussion in another thread, I'd like to collect and collate details of where the Garmin GTM traffic units seem to have good and bad signal for the UK.

I'd like to collect the following information...

1. GTM unit (ie, GTM10, 11, 12, 21) - GTM10 connects to the car aerial, GTM11 is the old portable unit with the 1 foot aerial, GTM12 is the new compact portable unit, and ships with the Nuvi 310 Deluxe, and the GTM21 is the combined power adaptor / antenna for the c510 / c550 models

2. Area (I'd like postcodes, but obviously things like M25 junction x to y" is equally useful).

3. Some idea of how frequently visited.

My reason for 3 is twofold. Firstly, I'm aware of at least one possible outage of the service, so repeated signal failures would indicate more of a problem. Secondly, it would be nice to try and work out whether there really is a dead spot, or whether the unit isn't coping when it has to retune, having gone out of the signal range of the previous radio station / frequency.

I've no idea whether this will be useful or not, but let's see what we can get to start with...
MrGrimsdale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea ! Ill start the ball rolling.

1. GTM21

2. Pickup of traffic data around A52 NG13. Kept signal all the way into NG1 NOTTINGHAM (21/6)

SHEFFIELD S1 lost it about 1 mile East on A630. Got it again briefly between J33 - J32 M1 then nothing (23/6)

3. Visit at least once a week.
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: GTM 12 Coverage Reply with quote

Hi

Works well in the Warrington Cheshire area. It is intersting however that on the Trafficmaster map of coverage the A55 in Wales is not mentioned yet on the RAC Live service tonight there are two mentions of Accidents!

David

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
al40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great idea!

(1) GTM21 (on C510D)

(2) Have not got any traffic info ever in Glasgow. Main areas I have tried have been South, West and City Centre (incl M8 to west of centre).
HughGW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And my 2p worth,

21 on the C510D

Gloucester, Forest of Dean, Chepstow, down to Swindon and then Salisbury Plain, east to Oxford up to Bedford via Milton Keynes, got the info all over!

The only place I didn't get a signal was around Hay On Wye on Monday this week, but the radio was c**p too, hills and stuff in wild Wales!
MrGrimsdale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HughGW wrote:
And my 2p worth,

21 on the C510D

Gloucester, Forest of Dean, Chepstow, down to Swindon and then Salisbury Plain, east to Oxford up to Bedford via Milton Keynes, got the info all over!

The only place I didn't get a signal was around Hay On Wye on Monday this week, but the radio was c**p too, hills and stuff in wild Wales!

Down south seems more promising !

M1 J 34 - J 27 Southbound - Nothing. Got a signal 4 Miles from J26 and Ok all the way into NG1 Nottingham
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guy for the comments so far - please keep them coming.

Also, I'm interested to hear if people have differing opinions to others, or even can confirm the same opinions.

Finally, I remember some people complaining about the M25 - can people add their experiences on how good the signal is.

Thanks
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anymore....??

There are plenty of people having issues with the GTM12 and GTM21 so please post your findings here...
hysys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M4 J11 - J12 OK
M4 J12 - J13 Mainly OK, some part with no Signal
A34 From M4 to Chilton OK

Garmin 510D, Focus with heated screen (not sure if it makes any difference)
hysys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRANCE :

signal way stronger almost never lost signal on A16 and Around Paris
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since fitting the GTM 11 to the car aerial I've had few problems, previously tough area around 16 - 10 juns on M25 was terrible.

Also found the same that in France heading to Brussels / Paris and Rouen and on towards LeMans and Bordeaux receoption has been no problem!

Someone needs ass kicking re signal strength it seems to me.

From my experience and what I read of others units, wiring to the car aerial seems the best option.
steviec909
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very bad signal in AL4 (st.Albans)
BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a GTM-11 on my SP2720 connected to my car aeriel. Wolverhampton West WV6 7xx area is no problem

B77 5xx Tamworth is rubbish - but used to be ok. Its right by the M42 so I don't know why.

M6 Toll Cannock - Weeford - used to be good until about 3 weeks ago.

I recently emailed the contact from RAC Live listed on their web site who simply sent a recommendation to reposition my aeriel even though I am using my main car aeriel and had told him areas that used to be good coverage had none in the last couple of weeks. Totally useless!!!

France - super service, very rarely drops on major road networks and has a choice of services.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: