Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TrafficMaster (RAC) - TMC Reliability/Availability Query
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TrafficMaster (RAC) - TMC Reliability/Availability Query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TGL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: TrafficMaster (RAC) - TMC Reliability/Availability Query Reply with quote

Hello,

Can anyone shed some light on why some days I get TrafficMaster information via the TMC add-on to my Garmin Nuvi (GTM-10), but then other days or even in the same day I get the message "No traffic data available", even when there are serious traffic jams? Sometimes I only get traffic data when I am near central London.

The Nuvi performs a diagnostic check of the TMC unit when it is switched on, and it says it's ok, and I travel the same route almost every day, so I'm wondering if it's just a reception problem or indeed TrafficMaster sometimes stop broadcasting their service?

Anyone with similar experiences?

By the way, the TMC add-on the Nuvi has it's own aerial which extends up the whole side of the windscreen. It's permanently located, and when I do pick-up a traffic signal it's consistent i.e. it doesn't drop on and off whilst driving down the M4. In my case I either get a signal or none at all.

tgl
MrGrimsdale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am experiencing the same problem. I have the GTM 21. Over in the Garmin Streetpilot/Nuvi forum, swing is trying to gather data about where in the country people are getting TMC signals on the Garmins. Maybe you can add your input.
TGL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrGrimsdale wrote:
I am experiencing the same problem. I have the GTM 21. Over in the Garmin Streetpilot/Nuvi forum, swing is trying to gather data about where in the country people are getting TMC signals on the Garmins. Maybe you can add your input.

Thanks, I will definitely do that. By the way, just for the sake of completeness, I am using a GTM 12 not GTM 10. Not that is should make much of a difference, except you get a better aerial with the GTM 12.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Experience with the GTM 11 suggests to me that the problems are aerial based.
As soon as I found and adapter to connect the unit to the cars aerial, the performance improved greatly. A new aerial mast that rises to full height has been another improvement.
Sort out a decent external aerial set-up!
TGL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cantgetlost wrote:
My Experience with the GTM 11 suggests to me that the problems are aerial based.
As soon as I found and adapter to connect the unit to the cars aerial, the performance improved greatly. A new aerial mast that rises to full height has been another improvement.
Sort out a decent external aerial set-up!

Thanks for the information.

I'm not sure how I could connect my GTM 12 to my car's aerial. The reason I say that is the GTM 12 connects to the side of the Nuvi and a single wire extends from the GTM 12, but there is no plug at the end of the wire, and no socket exists to connect a coax cable to it. Would just cutting the molded end off to expose the wire be enough to do the trick? I guess I could solder the wire onto the car aerial cable.

Any suggestions, or is there a special adapter kit I could buy.
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Best reception Reply with quote

Have people found that the GTM 10 which connects to the car aerial gets more reliable reception than the GTM 12 using an in car aerial? Just wondering which to buy.

Thanks
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Best reception Reply with quote

mwfox wrote:
Have people found that the GTM 10 which connects to the car aerial gets more reliable reception than the GTM 12 using an in car aerial? Just wondering which to buy.
There are not many GTM-10 users around, as despite being launched first, it's only just becoming available in the UK. A number of GTM-11 users found the signal improved if they connected it to their car aerials, as have other RDS-TMC unit users from other manufacturers.

However, although there are reports of problems with the GTM-12 and GTM-21 (depending on your unit), I think these are generally working, although there are definitely blackspots. In the Garmin Streetpilot and Nuvi forum, there's a thread for people to provide their experiences of these devices - you might want to check it out, although there aren't many comments so far.
paullygb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i have a street pilot 2720 with a gtm 10 i have the same problem one day i have a signal the next day no signal there have been many up dates for the firmware but still the problem is there im going to try a new car ariel
alexlake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new around here, so forgive me if I'm barking up the wrong tree... But I thought there is a recentish problem that is essentially down to a power adapter specification problem with the Garmin. Might this be related?

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=43201&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90 and see posting #8

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: