Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - toshiba e570 globalsat bc307 kingston 1g sd tomtom 521 crash
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

toshiba e570 globalsat bc307 kingston 1g sd tomtom 521 crash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wok
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: toshiba e570 globalsat bc307 kingston 1g sd tomtom 521 crash Reply with quote

Hi,
First, thanks for a great site, and well done to all who contribte, you helped me decide on buying this particular set up which suits me. I like the reflective screen on the e570, it is easily viewable indoors and outdoors. It is good for tomtom, and also sefl with memory map for walking etc. (which I havent had any problems with)

I think that I am the first to post letting people know that this combination works. In the car I have been using it with this charger :-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8804562594&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

and have tomtom maps on the kingston 1g card with the lock on.

Or does it work ok..., I am having a few problems.

I set it up and all was working fine for a day or so.

Then, I was driving about, and tomtom exited all by itslelf. I then clicked on tomtom to start it up again, and it said that no maps were available. Using explorer, folders are there, but the files within them didnt show. I did a reset by jabbing the stylus in the hole. This cured the problem, but it has happened quite a lot since which is annoying.

I have noticed twice that it has happened when the voice giving directions kicks in, which suggests to me that it is a power supply problem, ie. globalsat + front light (low bright setting)+speaker+sd card+tomtom running is drawing too much current.

I now have a more major problem which is stopping me investigating the first problem. Whenever I start tomtom the globalsat isnt working. When it is working ok, the led comes on very dimly for a second or two, then comes on constantly, then flashes when it has a lock. Now it just comes on very dimly, and doesnt get to the stage where it is on constantly.

I have tried the globalsat in a laptop that it usually works in, and get the same symptoms, so I think that this is a problem with the globalsat. I have tried the gpsinfo utility that came with it, clicking on cold start, but this doesnt help at all.

I read somewhere that some gps units need to be left for a few days for the battery to discharge when they go tits up. Is this the case for the globalsat?.

My best guess is that both of these problems have been caused by too much current being drawn. Can anyone shed any light?.
wok
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read posts on e570, but didnt read the posts on glabalsat, it seems that the globalsat problem could be to do with sirf mode, and i might be able to fix it using software. I'll have a go, and report back. Still hoping for help regarding the crash problem though.
wok
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just tried sirfdemo and winfast navigator to try and reset it back to nmea(hoping that it is set in sirf mode), but i cant communicate with the globalsat at all. I guess I'll have to forget about it for a fortnight, and see if it resets when the battery goes flat.

I have found a link which may be of help to people with the 'dim led' problem: -
http://www.usglobalsat.com/faq_details/FAQ_CF_GPS.htm#q4
wok
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved now....
I bought a new GPS receiver off ebay. Its an unbranded one with a folding antenna. I have given up on the Globalsat one, as even after waiting for 10 days unplugged to try to reset it, I still get the dim led problem.

I still get the crashing problem with this GPS, but if I turn the volume down low, then it doesnt crash. So I guess it is likely to be a power problem. I'm happy with the set up now though Smile

Hope this helps someone out there!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: