Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Car Stereo Connection
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Car Stereo Connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madmalc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Car Stereo Connection Reply with quote

Can someone tell me how I can connect my Tomtom 910 to my car stereo, it's a standard Ford Focus system.
Thanks
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think youll need the permanent docking kit or if its a cassette you could use a cassette addaptor and play your mp3's from the go

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even sure the permanent docking kit is available yet but that's what you need!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of system is in your Focus? there are various types, if it has a button marked AUX on the Head unit there is an input socket for the audio to plug into, usually this is mounted on the back of the glove box compartment, this will depend on the exact unit fitted though, so check the in car entertainment system guide book.

If there is no AUX input you can use a wired cassette addaptor as Alex mentioned above, have a look at Maplins part number CJ50E or DU09K, you may need some audio couplers to get the cables to interface correctly but Maplin stock them.

If neither of the above solutions are applicable to your car there is always this device (again from Maplins) L75AY its an FM injection unit, a little bit different to the normal illegal FM transmitters than can be purchased but not legaly used in this country - check the FAQ on the Maplin site under this item, there is a question about the legality of the device - make your own mind up on this though as the answer is woolley at best. Basically it fits in between the car aerial and the FM input to the tuner, again you will probably need some addaptor couplings to get the correct fit.

The 910 comes equipped to output audio from its own car cradle via a 3,5MM jack plug (you get the lead supplied with the device), simply connect any of the above options to this lead via the required type of coupling, on the 910 go to Change Preferences/ Speaker Preferences and enable the two check boxes :-

"Play music over external speaker"
"Play spoken instructions over external speaker"

You are then presented with a screen asking if you want to use a Bluetooth Hi-Fi device as the external speaker? for any of the above options select NO.

Last year a company was selling a Bluetooth equipped Cassette addaptor that would possibly use the Bluetooth Hi-Fi device option, but they didn't catch on, and I cannot find one for sale anywhere, I have spent a few hours looking to date.

A final note applicable to any of the wired connections, if you find electrical noise is playing through the speakers when in use (high pitched whine that usually varies with engine speed, but not always - the windscreen wipers cause interferance on my car for example) - if this occurs get a "Ground Loop Issolator" Maplins VW43W, although as yet they have no stock, I think Halfords sell these devices as well.

(And before anyone asks No I do not work for Maplins, they are just local to most people and carry the required items needed for this in stock at their shops) - Mike
Madmalc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Car Stereo Connection Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I will look into them.
Thanks
Madmalc

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: