Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Recommended PDAs for TTN5?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommended PDAs for TTN5?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njwc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Recommended PDAs for TTN5? Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here so apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place - please be gentle with me Rolling Eyes

I'm looking for my first Satnav system and have more or less settled on TTN5 on a PDA.

However I'm not sure what PDA to buy to go with it. I'd like something with WiFi and ideally with built in GPS, but whilst the Mio 550 looks good on paper I've seen a few too many people saying they are having problems with reception. Built in GPS isnt essential but it would be preferable if possible

So, can someone suggest some suitable PDA's for running TTN5 please ? Ideally I'd like to buy the PDA and TTN as a bundle if I can save a bit of money as well.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you just want a pda with built in gps and wifi the then have a look at the I-mate pdaN its small has a good screen and also the feature you want if you want a phone built in to the pda then have a look at things like the xda mini S and xda mini also have alook at the mew E-ten phones

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also suggest that your first port of call is to check out the tomtom home page, on that it gives a complete list of compatable PDA's for TTNav5 for both wired and BT.

Howard
Active Synch 4.5
MohairSofa Calendar+Today Plug-in Ver.2.5.2
Softwinter Storage Tools Ver.2.0 ppc 420
Pocket Informant 9.01 build2390
Sprite Back up Ver 6.5.4 build 16
pendlemac
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended PDAs for TTN5? Reply with quote

njwc wrote:
Ideally I'd like to buy the PDA and TTN as a bundle if I can save a bit of money as well.

Do you have a pay monthly mobile? You may be able to get a PDA/phone as a free or low cost upgrade, then all you would need is the software and receiver bundle. ( Dunno how much the PDA/phones are on pay-as-you-go. )
njwc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended PDAs for TTN5? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far - keep them coming Smile
pendlemac wrote:
Do you have a pay monthly mobile?

No, my mobile is provided by work so I dont have one of my own and probably wont unless I leave or they chuck me out
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Built in GPS limits your options significantly and the bundles quite often involve buying a PDA that is more expensive than you actually need.

You need to decide whether you are going to use a PDA solely for SatNav - if so you probably shouldnt buy a PDA - a dedicated unit would be better unless, of course, you wish to use more than one SatNav product or you wish to change software in future (all satnav packages are not born equal).

I started with an IPAQ 3970 (bought on EBAY for 105 pounds) and Destinator 3 quite happy with both.

Upgraded PDA to Dell AXIM X50V (wonderful display!) from EBAY earlier this year (bought AXIM for 160pounds, sold IPAQ for 115pounds - yes more than I paid for it!) and bought TTN5 to go with it.

Just bought Destinator 6 upgrade (primarily for Ireland mapping) - works fine.

Use Bluetooth GPS (ultra cheap on on EBAY - claims to have see through case to allow more signal in!!). Using a separate GPS means you can locate the PDA anywhere in the car without line of sight of the sky, GPS is normally tucked up by the windscreen.

I do use the PDA for other things but I'm not an organised person so don't use organisation facilities.

If you do your research there are some real bargains for PDAs on EBAY but equally people will get carried away and pay far more than they are worth.

The Dell AXIM X51V is a fine PDA (especially with the latest ROM update in the last few days) and the X50V isnt far behind and is cheaper. Equally the IPAQ 4400 is good. Be careful of the X50V and IPAQ4400 with the Windows Mobile 5 upgrade though - both these devices have issues with it. Visit www.aximsite.com for details.

Good luck!
Dibby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought an E-Ten G500 and it works fine with TTN5.21. It's a great full featured PDA with a phone built in but the screen's a tad small. I've got used to it now and it's working like a dream.

If you don't want a phone and want a larger screen, the Fujitsu Siemens N560 looks good - integrated GPS, WiFi, bluetooth, VGA screen.
njwc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After quite a bit of research (interrupted by a lot of 'proper' work Twisted Evil ) I settled for a Palm T/X, then couldnt find anyone who could deliver one quickly at a competitive price Rolling Eyes .

So, I bought my 2nd choice of a Mitac Mio P350 and so far its been pretty good. It only arrived a couple of hours ago but within 5 minutes it was up and running and receiving a GPS signal.
pendlemac
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update.

May I be the first to wish you a long and happy association with your new 'baby' :D
njwc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile

I've now installed the speed camera database without any problems, apart from the shock of realising just how many mobile locations there are around here 8O.
ootoph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

njwc wrote:
Thanks Smile

I've now installed the speed camera database without any problems, apart from the shock of realising just how many mobile locations there are around here 8O.

You must live in Bournemouth then...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: