Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NEW GO 910 FIRMWARE!!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW GO 910 FIRMWARE!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

graeme...
Re: keyboard layout. Difference could be due to either option of qwerty or abcde key layout, or option of big/small key layout.

Re: only getting one warning on a row of similar cameras. You are not doing anything wrong, it's a software bug. Isn't this what is being discussed at the front of this very thread?
lydiachris wrote:
Does anyone know if this cures the POI warning problem, which was that the go 910 would only warn you using a TTS warning once if the POI was the same... phew...blimey a mouth full 8O

For EXAMPLE...

Driving and going past two 70mph gatsos in a row and only being warned of the first...if that makes sense!!!!!! Wink

Get onto TomTom and give 'em hell! (and I bet they say they've never had anyone report it before!)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme, Andy is correct re keyboard to get to the #&? key (where I said it would be) requires you to have Change Prefernces/ Keyboard Prefences set to the QWERTY style, yours must be set to default ABCD style.

Having re-read through your posts on this subject I am a little confused as to why this doesn't work, in summary you should have the following set-up (for the speed zoned plus single file speed cameras)
Full speed zoned camera database intalled and all warnings set via "Type in your own warning". Set these warnings as per your normal preferences.

The single file camera database installed and the warning set as "Type in your own warning" (this is the one you use the _ key as the warning), set the warning distance for this specific alert to the minimum which is 100 yards.

I don't think using a mixture of spoken alerts and the "Polite3" warning will re-trigger the system to work correctly, as the Polite3 sound comes from a different area (non-Text To Speach related), give the above a try and I am sure the alerts will work - by the way I am going to ammend the instructions re the 910 to include this work around later today - Mike
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lydiachris wrote:
Probably a little off topic but didn't know where to post this...

My Father In Law is wanting to buy a GO 710, please read this:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=41772&highlight=710

There seems to be a lot of knowledable heads in this thread so I would appreciate it if someone could help!

looked at a few places most will get some time in july You can pre order here http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/ if i see somewhere with some will let you know
jean
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
by the way I am going to ammend the instructions re the 910 to include this work around later today - Mike

Thanks for all the help you are giving on the 910 Mike, I for one have found it invaluable.
swwchris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just updated the firmware on my 910 and now it does not seem to turn on / off when I turn the car ignition on. Is there perhaps a setting I need to change? It was doing this fine before the update
Cheers
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swwchris......
It is a deliberate bodge by TomTom to disguise the mount power problems.
See THIS TOPIC
There is nothing you can do about it except go back to the previous firmware (and complain to TomTom!)
graeme_symington
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike

Your right that works, must be, as you say because i had text to speach on one and sounds on the other. Have found one slight issue though. which is as i dont have the poi warning to alarm "on route only" it picks up surrounding cameras, but i dont always get close enough for the 100yds to pick it up. Almost there, only another few issues to sort now?

Cheers for all the help in the forums anyway
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graeme_symington wrote:
Have found one slight issue though. which is as i dont have the poi warning to alarm "on route only" it picks up surrounding cameras, but i dont always get close enough for the 100yds to pick it up.
Very good point, perhaps you should increase the distance for the silent alert, or even increase it to a higher figure than used for the spoken command, either way should produce the same result. Personally I only use the "Warn only if POI on Route" option, this makes the work around much easier - Mike
graeme_symington
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same thought, tried today, spot on. Added a second speed zoned database and renamed each file, as you suggested, for the silent detection and added 5yds to each of the silent poi.
It may be a bit long winded but it works 100%
swwchris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit confused by this speed camera problem. My 910 warns about the first camera but then stays silent! what do I have to do to make it warn about every on on the route?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a software bug swwchris. It shouldn't happen like that, and it doesn't on software before V6. Hopefully TT are working on it frantically (though I've not seen any mention here that they have admitted it yet).

There is a get round, where you force it to make a different announcement. Have a search to find it.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swwchris wrote:
I am a bit confused by this speed camera problem. My 910 warns about the first camera but then stays silent! what do I have to do to make it warn about every on on the route?
Re-read this thread from PAGE1 and you will find a number of posts made by myself detailing the work around, OK I would prefer the unit to work 100%, but if you can fix the problem for the time being with a simple dodge like this why not? - Mike
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Mike's single-file fix method works fine, but as you guys have seen, the icon is always the same for every speed zone. I've now ended up doing the bodge against another set of speed-zoned files (so grateful that the old POI limit of 40 catagories has gone!).

However, has anyone worked out how the TomTom determines which graphic icon is displayed when mutiple exist at the same coordinates? I've tried touching the files to change creation/mod date, copying them in last, etc, but always the single-zoned icon is dominant.

Cheers ... Chris
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, you have the idea to create the work around, why not install a second "copy" of the full speed zoned database, this way you will allways get the alert you require - simply re-name each of the files (I find adding _1) after each file name is the easy way, you need to do this for the ov2 and bmp files, sort this out on the PC then upload the revised POI to the unit.
Configure the new cameras (i.e. the duplicates) to use a silent warning sound at a different distance (or a secondary alert of the speed if you want to), this way you should get the correct icon at all times, the original single file method works and is easy to set-up, but is not as good in practice as the multiple speed zoned idea.
I have no idea as to how the device decides which icon to display, but if you load up the duplicate speed zoned set-up as above this problem will go away as it will be the same icon diplayed for each copy - Mike
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike - yes that's what I meant and did when I said about using the bodge. You're right that it works really well - although despite having a 100 POI category limit on the 910, I found I'd just gone over it when I copied in the duplicate set of speed zone files :-( Still, much better than before.

Let's make sure we all feed this back to TomTom (along with my complaint about TomTom Traffic missing out on three traffic jams today on just one trip to and from Birmingham - but that's for another thread!)

Cheers ... Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: