Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman crippling limitations with poi's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman crippling limitations with poi's
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlickHammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Navman crippling limitations with poi's Reply with quote

You have two choices for poi's, an A-Z list or "nearest"

Nearest poi is limited to around 15 miles!! wtf? , this is fine if your looking for a post office or a pub but if your looking for a beach or bird sanctuary (or whatever) and there's not one within 15 miles you have to use the A-Z list, this limitation is absolutely DREADFUL.

The 15 mile limitation is probably just a simple variable within the navman software and could probably be modified within a few seconds by their engineers but they ignore my e-mails.

Why is nobody else complaining about this limitation? Good luck in finding your nearest beach from Bradford, Leeds, York, London etc etc..

Mail navman.com and complain, there is absolutely no technical reason for such a limitation.

Flick Twisted Evil
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give everybody a break and return your Navman.
FlickHammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
Give everybody a break and return your Navman.

Just quoting the truth, you have a problem with that?

What navman should be advertising is it locates a point of interest within 15 miles, so why the hell do they include such obsolete poi's like beaches that are pretty much useless to the entire population that live 15 miles inland.

Now do me a favor and stop replying to my threads with such stupid comments, as far as I'm concerned I'm making a valid point and requesting a potentially excellent improvement for people who use GPS to locate entertainment instead of simply traveling from A to B

Flick Twisted Evil
darrenwright
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only problem i have with my ICN520 concerning POI's is that you can only activate around 25 of your own on the unit.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the flame Wink I'll be a little more constructive.

IMHO the current state of the art still has a long way to go to be considered robust enough for average consumers. It mostly works, most of the time, and is in the void space between early adopter and mass consumer product. Which way it goes is anyone guess - mine is the same way as early PDA's - not everyone had one, many people tried them and found they were too hard or did not deliver on the promises. A few, mostly with a specific problem solved by a PDA, can't live without them.

Your point about the beaches being included is interesting. Many people compalin that there are not eough POIs, and yet you (and others) complain that their are too many. Can you see the problem that TA (They provide the data, this is nothing to do with Navman) has - How many is too many and how much is no enough, and of what kind of information, to suit eveyone.

If you don't like to visit beachs you can turn POI catagories off and on in the prefernces, but obviously if there are some missing you cannot do a lot about it.

Now back to your Nearest POI problem. One way you can find a nearest POI that is close to a point, is to select that point on the map screen with the cross hairs, and bring up the map menu by pressing OK. This menu has a "Nearest POI" option, which is the nearest to the cross hairs.

I agree with the custom POI limited to 25 is a problem. Navman should have addressed this a long time ago. The workaround is to combine the POIs into a fewer number of larger files. (e.g. One speed camera file instead of 20)

Hope this helps.
FlickHammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@robertn

Laughing Out Loud you cannot be serious!!
You want me to go poking the whole UK coastline and then ask for the nearest POI just to find a beach Smile

All over the world there are people amassing databases of poi's there are even websites dedicated to them but the users are way too stupid to realize that they DON'T work on a navman.

I have poi's for all sorts of interesting places I would like to visit, zoo's, beaches, nature reserves, bird sanctuaries, and many more, unfortunately some blithering IDIOT who programmed the navman thought a 15 mile radius is good enough for a poi, and the users are too stupid to realize they don't work, if nobody complains then a fix will never be released.

Bottom line is "nearest poi" does not work, using the A-Z list is like finding a needle in a haystack, the first location in the A-Z list might be at the other end of the country.

Wake up navman users your poi database does not work, mail them and ask for a fix.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From you last post I assume you are refering to custom pois you load into the system, not the Navman provided POIs. I agree that the custom POI is significantly limited, as the data is no geocoded to the maps. because of this the normal GIS functionality such as area hierachy are not avalible, so searching is limited to A-Z and nearest POI. Again, becuse the data is not geocoded, limits have to placed on the size of the seach. Navman have obviously decided (rightly or wrongly - I am not debating this) that
15km is a reasonable limit.

Therefore the system does not do what you want it to, it's unsuitable for you, and you should return it.

Ergo - I retract my previous apology. Go buy a Tomtom.
FlickHammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@robertn

I'm talking about ALL poi's

From a programming point of view the navman (more or less) instantaneously produces the first 99 closest poi's (if available) and so you can deduce from this that they are looking at the map coordinates to find the nearest "line of sight" poi, if it was calculating a route then it would be noticeably longer.

Assuming the navman programming language is the same as any other then the filed of view for the nearest poi is going to be a single byte of code containing the number 15 (or the asci code for 15), it would only mean changing a single byte of programming code to extend the range to 256 miles, if it were 2 bytes (not likely) then by changing just 2 bytes you could extend the range to over 65,000 miles (256*256)

Imagine you live in a village in the middle of nowhere and you want to take your kids to the zoo, you ask your navman "where is the nearest zoo" and it just so happens to be 30 miles away, its going to tell you there is no zoo!!!!!!! wtf!!!! can you not see how stupid that is, the guy who programmed the 15 mile limit for poi's is a retard and clearly never gave it any thought.

If navman owners don't very quickly realize what an ass navman have made of this they will be so busy working on the next generation on GPS that they won't give a s**t about fixing this 15 mile radius.

From a programing point of view there is absolutely no reason for this limitation.

I don't know where you live but please tell me.

What is your nearest beach
what is your nearest nature reserve
what is your nearest amusement park
what is your nearest lake
what is your nearest camping site

Chances are that you can't answer any of these questions using your navman because some dick head programmer in his infinite wisdom decided a 15 mile radius was all anybody would need.

By the time the navman users wake up and smell the roses it will be too late.

e-mail navman and complain.

Flick Twisted Evil
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But can that be classed as 'near' I would not expect my Navman to bring back information on the 'nearest beach' as there are no beach's near to me. Yes it would be useful but I think it should be seperate to the 'nearest' section because I would image that it designed for if you are in an area you don't know and just want to find the 'nearest' cash point or something
FlickHammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@jonandmarkuk

Oh Jesus give me strength 8O

Of course you have a beach that's nearest to you unless you live on the moon :P

I'm not talking about displaying them on your screen when your driving about I'm talking about using the search for nearest poi, give me ONE good reason why there should be a 15 mile limit, the search result lists them in order of distance so you can easily ignore any too far away.

And give me ONE good reason from a programming point of view why a 15 mile limit is necessary and I'll pain target on my a-s-s hang it out of my bedroom window and leave a box full of catapults at my front gate.

e-mail navman and complain

Flick Twisted Evil
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
e-mail navman and complain

Why should we, we don't appear to be the ones with the problem.
Quote:
Go buy a Tomtom
FlickHammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:

Why should we, we don't appear to be the ones with the problem.

Just trying to enlighten the dim witted.

As I've already mentioned there are websites distributing poi's and droves of people collecting them but they are just too short sighted to realize the limitations of navman won't allow them to use the poi's they are collecting. Go figure.

Flick Twisted Evil
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your using custom POI then why use the 'nearest'
Have you contacted Navman yourself about this instead of having a go at everyone else on the forum? 8O
FlickHammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I don't want a tom tom
It would be like carrying a cricket ball in your pocket, small is a word they have no concept of.
FlickHammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
If your using custom POI then why use the 'nearest'
Have you contacted Navman yourself about this instead of having a go at everyone else on the forum? 8O

Because I want to use my GPS to locate interesting places to visit and I'm more than willing to travel over than 15 miles to get there.

Go try find the closest beach to visit from the middle of your country and see how useful your navman is.

And why complain? because like it or not its the only way to get manufacturers to fix their blunders, as I keep mentioning over and over and over and over again there is NO technical reason for the 15 mile limit.

If they hadn't put such a ridiculous limit in the first place I would be able to locate all the places I want to visit and I wouldn't be on here whining.

Flick Twisted Evil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: