Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TI Traffic Module now available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TI Traffic Module now available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davemgill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unhban,

I ordered one from them yesterday and got an email today saying they are out of stock and have cancelled the order. They will email again once they are back in stock.

Regards
David
Unhban
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davemgill: Funnily enough I ordered one yesterday too, but it was early mid-morning. Perhaps I just beat you to the last one as I haven't had a 'Sorry' email, just one giving me confirmation and the tracking number - at the mo it says 'Order being processed'. But I just wonder if they may try to get out of the sale if the price on their site is wrong..... Question
peecee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought the iCN 550 with TM and remote as a kit.

From hantec.co.uk

All for £237.35

Ordered it Wednesday mid afternoon arrived Thursday morning, excellent service.

My problem is so far I have not had the TM module work. The furthest I got with it was getting a Receiving message, but nothing else.

I even went for a drive to make sure I got a good signal.

Classic FM aint the best reception to begin with in my area so I fear the TM module won't pick it up hardly at all.

I too dislike the very obvious satnav wiring on the screen so might simply wire up an external antenna for the TM unit alone.

The 550 seems to have excellent GPS reception and works in the house etc.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of THIS it details the external aerial and addaptors required to get the unit working, what is you current location where you are having difficulty obtaining a signal for the TMC? - Mike
peecee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fylde Coast area, just north of Blackpool.

I'll be reading your link after this post.

I guess the Classic FM transmitter for this area is Winter Hill between Blackburn and Bolton.

I'll be over that way tomorrow so will check the signal and reception then.

I might still do an antenna mod though just to ensure future effective use.

(right, off to read your link)
peecee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikealder, I posted in the linked thread, I'll be sourcing some better ways of doing the antenna mod and hopefully improving the antenna gain in the process.
peecee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be reading your link after this post.

I guess the Classic FM transmitter for this area is Winter Hill between Blackburn and Bolton.

I'll be over that way tomorrow so will check the signal and reception then.

I might still do an antenna mod though just to ensure future effective use.

(right, off to read your link)
Unhban
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peecee wrote:

Hi peecee. No, the transmitters for your area are Holme Moss - 250kW, or Morecambe Bay - 10kW.

The link for all Classic FM transmitters is:

http://www.classicfm.com/index.cfm?nodeId=1319&cset=1&sw=800

Most Classic FM transmitters use circular polarisation so it doesn't matter whether the aerial is vertical or horizontal. However, Fenham and Reading are vertically polarised so if you expect to venture into those areas the aerial must be vertical.

There's further detailed info here:

http://www.classicfm.com/index.cfm?nodeId=1320&cset=1&sw=800

They do add: 'There are no plans to add to the FM transmitter network in the light of the OFCOM requirement to move to DAB Digital Radio'.

Hope this helps. Unh.
Unhban
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to the above, if you do have the aerial horizontal, when the transmitter is side on to the end of the aerial very little signal will be picked up.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed that although I get Classic FM reception and the TMC says recieving, it often seems to take 30mins to actually get any information.
This makes it a waste of time when it only takes me 30mins to get where I'm going. So why sit on my driveway for 30mins?

Has anyone else noticed getting a signal but no data?. Do ClassicFM only broadcast information every 30mins at certain times of the day. If so how do we get them to broadcast more often. I need the same frequency of updates all day.
Unhban
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
Has anyone else noticed getting a signal but no data?. Do ClassicFM only broadcast information every 30mins at certain times of the day. If so how do we get them to broadcast more often. I need the same frequency of updates all day.

I've just got my T1 module working (after ditching the supplied aerial and using a ham radio 2m/70cms magmount) and the module took 90 seconds from cold to find Classic FM. It then changed from SEARCHING to RECEIVING TMC and took about two minutes to download all the 'events' - 89 of them!

So from this I presume the TMC data is being transmitted all the time, in a loop.

I'm in Southport which is nowhere near Holme Moss (near Holmfirth), the transmitter for this area for Classic FM, but it does have the advantage of height.

I then drove around built-up areas listening to Classic FM on 101.1MHz, and although the signal fluttered a few times the TMC signal lock didn't seem to fail.

Note it took 90 seconds to go from 87MHz to 101Mhz - quite slow really, but then there are a lot of radio stations round here, and I presume it has to 'look' at the signal of each one....
dbaileyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I connected my T1 up this morning at 9:30, it's 3 o'clock now and my TMC status is still Scanning ! 5and a half hours and still not working
The aerial is positioned as per instructions, and the car is out side !!!
You don't need to activate it do you ?? I thought they worked straight out of the box, My location is Burnley Lanc's

Thanks

David
bobren55
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbaileyuk wrote:
Hi all, I connected my T1 up this morning at 9:30, it's 3 o'clock now and my TMC status is still Scanning ! 5and a half hours and still not working
The aerial is positioned as per instructions, and the car is out side !!!
You don't need to activate it do you ?? I thought they worked straight out of the box, My location is Burnley Lanc's

Thanks

David

Hi All,
New to this Sat Nav stuff!!
I also tried my T1 module this morning for the first time. It scanned for about 1 minute and then went "inactive". This state is not mentioned in the PDF user guide so I presume it is not receiving any signal.
I am using the stick on aerial supplied, stuck to the inside top edge of the windscreen just to the right of the rear view mirror. A Ford Mondeo by the way with heated windscreen. The GPS signal is really good thro the screen with 8 Sats with 30 - 40 plus.
Just for info I live between Aylesbury and Leighton Buzzard (Bucks)
Any thoughts anybody

Bob R
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally the unit will only display as 'inactive' if there is no external power supply as it needs this to operate.

Scanning means it's looking for a TMC channel, Receiving means it's found a TMC channel but maybe not Classic (which is the only channel it uses in the UK) and Receiving TMC means what it says.

I get a reasonable TMC signal with the OEM antenna resting on the dashboard of my Jeep; reception isn't very good in my wife's Grand Scenic even with the antenna in the non-athermic zone.
bobren55
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Generally the unit will only display as 'inactive' if there is no external power supply as it needs this to operate.

Scanning means it's looking for a TMC channel, Receiving means it's found a TMC channel but maybe not Classic (which is the only channel it uses in the UK) and Receiving TMC means what it says.

I get a reasonable TMC signal with the OEM antenna resting on the dashboard of my Jeep; reception isn't very good in my wife's Grand Scenic even with the antenna in the non-athermic zone.

Hi Tim,
Thanks for that reply. I have, since I posted the message, discovered that the T1 module needs power from the car via its socket and is not powered from the ICN. I don't remember it saying that anywhere in the book!!

I connected an old CB aerial to the T1 and it received 31 events straight away. I will try it tomorrow with the supplied aerial on the windscreen.

Thanks again
Bob R

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: