Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - more 770 problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

more 770 problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: more 770 problems Reply with quote

sd card arrived today so have just tried to download POIs. I installed POI loader but when I tried to download it has wiped unit of any waypoints or favorites and it is saying " can not unlock maps"

God knows whats going on - any ideas please.....
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe I should have put card into computer instead of nuvi and loaded from poi loader first then transfered card to nuvi...

any way it seems that I have bu**ered it so will contact garmin or handtec on monday :-(

there is another post where chap got same " can't unlock maps" message and he had to send it back...

its weird that instructions tell you to connect unit to computer and switch on but with 770 you can't switch it on with usb connected. really fed up and glad I have have my comfortable old 2610....
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should've loaded the POIs straight onto the Nuvi???

there seems to be a problem with older nuvis and pois on the SD card after i googled the problem.
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_ah1 wrote:
Perhaps you should've loaded the POIs straight onto the Nuvi???

there seems to be a problem with older nuvis and pois on the SD card after i googled the problem.

that is what I did.... and have lost everything.

mine is a new model 770 only one week old and version 2.20
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, it seemed as if you implied that having received the SD card you loaded POIs onto it. my bad.

Don't know what to say other than bummer Sad
Since I don't have one I can't be more constructive.
good luck with handtec - retailer support is always touch-and-go.

I take it that if you develop this problem the only solution is to send the device to garmin? HAve you found any info on other workarounds online so far?

Only interested as a prospective 760 owner - don't want to suffer the same fate when I load the free POI file....although I'm disappointed the 200,000 doesn't include the south kensington Nando's and Ken Lo's memory of china :p
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a motorhome, so only POI's I want (at the moment) are "French Aires" "ACSI campsites" and possibly "low bridges"

some one sent me zipped copies of first two, I unzipped to a new folder on desktop. I then started poi loader, I then checked card in nuvi and it was blank, and can only assume that everything in nuvi has been overwritten and destroyed ....

garmin are pretty good thats why I have stuck with them, so I hope I can sort out before half term as we are away to France. :-(

what worries me is if I get it back and same thing happens again, as I am not very technically minded as you have all probably noticed Laughing Out Loud
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, over 160 have looked at this thread and no one has come across or can help explain what a "can't unlock maps" message means on a 770 series nuvi?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a guess i would say something has been deleted that contains the unlock code - probably the gmapprom.unl file.

Do you have a backup of the software from the unit?
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
As a guess i would say something has been deleted that contains the unlock code - probably the gmapprom.unl file.

Do you have a backup of the software from the unit?

no, I thought there was nothing to back up on a 770?

I did look but could not find any info regards backing up...where can I find some help regards this - there is nothing in "owners manual" about this

in future I guess I would be better of downloading POI to card directly??
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
no, I thought there was nothing to back up on a 770?

The nuvi series act as Mass Storage Drives when you plug them into a PC. The first thing i did when i got my 760 was spend an hour copying the contents to the hard drive of my PC and then burning it to DVD.

Quote:
I did look but could not find any info regards backing up...where can I find some help regards this - there is nothing in "owners manual" about this

It's not in the manual but has been mentioed here a few times. Just make sure you set Windows Explorer to show all the files and then copy them carefully to a folder on your PC.

Quote:
in future I guess I would be better of downloading POI to card directly??

I copy mine to the unit directly without problems (so far).
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I copy mine to the unit directly without problems (so far)."

But when you connect nuvi to pc it sort of switches of and goes into charge mode doesn't it?

when you download extra poi's is info going to gps drive or to its removable card?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But when you connect nuvi to pc it sort of switches of and goes into charge mode doesn't it?

Yes. Mass Storage Mode. If you open Windows Explorer you can see the Nuvi and the SD Card slot as new drives. Just like a USB Pen Drive.

Quote:
when you download extra poi's is info going to gps drive or to its removable card?

Well, i don't have an SD card so it goes into the Garmin\Poi folder as POI.GPI. With POILoader you can specify to send it to the SD card if you wish.

Just to clarify the comment about copying directly to the unit. I meant with POILoader. POILoader should work with the unit directly or with the SD card. You can use either.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieo wrote:
So, over 160 have looked at this thread and no one has come across or can help explain what a "can't unlock maps" message means on a 770 series nuvi?

See this thread on Gpspassion.com...
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice phil.

Have people tried defragging their nuvis to see if it speeds it up (especially regarding the position lag and general map scrolling lag people seem to suffer?)

having it act like a standard unprotected mass storage drive is good on garmin's part.
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps!

after spending most of the morning on phone with Garmin they admitted that my unit is faulty and needs to be returned...

they sent me instructions first and this did not work. then tech took control of my PC and he had no luck either.

so I am sending it back to Handtec for replacement as it is only one week old and has only been out of house to grab a fix.

is there some where on here that explains how to back up a nuvi when you get it??

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: