Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Auto theft prevention ideas
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Auto theft prevention ideas
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Auto theft prevention ideas Reply with quote

Moved from main sat nav stolen thread, as requested. Mike Alder

prasadm wrote:
Wish the units had some sort of tracking code which can be used to disable the unit remotely upon owner request.. Should not be difficult to implement with GPS will it ? That should reduce the satnav thefts
Not really possible, bear in mind we all get free use of the signals from a very expensive set of satelites provided by the American Military. They are not going to send out kill signalls at request, even if the system was capable of doing so (which it isn't) - the GPS unit is simply a reciever, it has no way of transmitting information back, bad luck about the unit though, sorry to hear - Mike

Last edited by mikealder on Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
prasadm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... let's talk about it..

Theory of course..

If the SATNAV unit could receive a code and activate the software and receive a code and deactivate it, then this could work ? A deactivated unit would be useless to the thief isn't it ?

Car manufacturers can deactivate cars remotely (at least some of them)

Think on the lines of EIR in GSM.. If the EIR works, then a blacklisted phone IMEI will be blocked from making calls.

You don't need the receiver to transmit anything. What you would need then is that the GPS receiver should receive the signal on an unused band adjacent to GPS band . If all the SATNAV manufacturers and govt get together surely a Satellite uplink with low speed signal shouldn't
be difficult.The software can be easily adapted to use this signal if one such existed..

And if the software can use the signal only from the satellite antenna interface, then it makes it a bit more secure. Of course there will be people getting around the system, but think of the savings..

Crime rate reduced ?.. ( Of course if the govt isn't bothered with the theft of small satnavs then it is a different matter . I am not working for Police or Govt, but if the thefts go up, it is because of lack of resources on the part of police and not because they don't want to investigate as far as I can tell. ( There are quite a few police officers on this forum, and let them correct me if I am wrong..)

Software Piracy problem for SATNAV manufacturers addressed to some extent ..

Welcome to my stupid fantasy world... Idea Jumping With Joy

Another option.. In Garmin the backup can be restored only to the original card - secure digital -.. Hmmm.. Maybe I should have taken my card with me all the time.. Better than carrying around the golf ball.... Wonder why I din't think of that before.. Idea Idea
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with that idea is that you'd have to upgrade the GPS system, which is run by the US government. You'd also have to pay them to set up a system to send out these activation and deactivation codes. It would also only disable the device and wouldn't help you to locate it if it was lost or stolen.

I think for high end GPS devices such as the TomTom 910, they should have built in GSM capabilities. A GSM chipset costs only a few quid these days and I'd happily pay the extra if my device was fully tracable if it was stolen. You could even configure it so that the device stops working if it hasn't been able to communicate via GSM(GPRS) for more than a week. Or you could configure it to power up once a week or so and transmit it's GPS location to the network. With GSM capabilities, you could text the device and ask it to start reporting it's location to you if it were stolen (obviously it would have to power up once every few hours to receive any text messages you've sent it).

In fact the device need not even have on board GSM. It would be OK if it simply had to be paired to a bluetooth mobile phone to work or after a while it will deactivate itself.

This means that if you hide your device in the car, you could actually use it as a vehicle tracker as well. Or companies could use it to track their fleets/drivers. And all for the price of a £10 GSM chipset and a bit of a software upgrade.

Maybe I should try and get a job at TomTom...
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Important insurance information for car theft victims. Reply with quote

Important insurance information for car theft victims

If your device has been stolen from your car, you may find that it's not insured under your car insurance policy if it's fully portable. Or perhaps it's not worth claiming because you have a high excess or voluntary excess on your car policy?

All is not lost!

Check if your household insurance covers your stolen device. It will often be covered under "personal items temporarily removed from the home" - especially if your car was locked and the device was hidden from view. Often the excess on your home insurance is much smaller (or nothing) and this may prevent an expensive claim on your car insurance policy (and thus loss of no-claims bonus).

If you ONLY claim for the broken windows on your car insurance, you will usually find this does NOT count as a normal claim and you will NOT lose your no-claims bonus or have your premiums increased (but check with your insurer first). So in fact, it will often be preferable to claim on your house insurance even if your sat-nav IS covered by your car insurance policy - just to protect the no-claims status of your car insurance. The only drawback is that you may have to pay two excesses, but for most people, this will still be preferable to losing their no-claims bonus as the two excesses will probably only cost about £100 depending on your insurers.

Don't rush into anything and think carefully about the best strategy before claiming on either policy (especially bear in mind the true cost of losting your no claims bonus over a period of several years).

I hope this information is useful to somebody.

Nick...
prasadm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a GSM chipset in the unit why bother upgrading the GPS system run by US govt. The activation/deactivation can be done using the GSM interface ..

Actually in my idea, you don't necessarily upgrade the GPS system. You only use a free frequency band adjacent to the GPS carrier which can be locked on to by the GPS receivers. A separate system using a different band so no modification to GPS system.

Problem with using GSM is not all GPS units support GSM chipsets.. Think of this, if you could carry around your datacard hooked on to your key ring maybe.. then a stolen unit without its card would be useless ? What you then need is a robust carry case for the card.. Idea But this can't be true for PDA based units as they can still be used even without card...

Why not have an interface in the car connected to satnav and disable the satnav with your car lock (keyfob..) The units gets stolen because it is useful to someone else. If the Satnav cannot be used without your keyfob unlocking it first, then also it could be secure.. I think keyfobs all have different codes isn't it ? One coded for one car cannot be used for another car.. So in effect a satnav coded for one car cannot be used in another without owners/ manufacturer's intervention. Any takers ???

Idea Idea Coming to earth finally Idea Idea
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prasadm wrote:
If you have a GSM chipset in the unit why bother upgrading the GPS system run by US govt. The activation/deactivation can be done using the GSM interface ..

That was my entire point Smile Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm saying that the previous poster's idea requires upgrading the GPS system, which is unfeasable. My idea is to INSTEAD put GSM capabilities in sat nav devices to make them more like vehicle trackers. This would mean you don't have to touch the GPS system.

Possibly there is another radio system which is simpler/cheaper than GSM (X25?) that would work just as well. I'm not sure which technology vehicle trackers currently use. Obviously it would have to be send/receive, but it only needs to be data-only and fairly low bandwidth.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that. I hadn't really realised which thread I was posting to. Please can a mod move my post about insurance to another thread and then delete this one (and any other inappropriate ones).
jug
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your satnav gets nicked there is a simple solution, next time dont leave it in the car, if it isnt removable dont buy it. simple solutions we use in the uk, it applies to car steroes too, if the front isnt removable the stereo isnt suitable for use in the uk. people will steal, and any antitheft technology wil ALWAYS be bypassable. keeping your satnav safe is an owner's responsiblity.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> any antitheft technology wil ALWAYS be bypassable.

I disagree entirely. These devices are not 100% software that can be simply cracked. They are hardware devices - and the hardware is impossible to modify without destroying the unit. There is no reason why the antitheft technology would be bypassable if it is enforced in the hardware. You could easily make it so that the device would have to have it's circuits physically modified in order to bypass it (impossible on any modern device made using semiconductor chips). Or you could make the software that controls the anti-theft unflashable (ie on ROM). Worst case scenario, the device would become useless if you tried to bypass it, discouraging future thefts of the same device type.

People have stopped trying to steal cars because immobilisers make it next to impossible in most cars. The risk associated with the increased time associated with trying to disable an immobiliser is not worth it to most thieves for most types of vehicle. In the UK, car theft has fallen dramatically in the last few years. They work. So could a sat-nav "immobiliser".

Similarly, why on earth aren't glove boxes made of steel and deadlock the same way the doors do when you lock the car? I'm quite convinced that if my glove box was lockable, they wouldn't have even bothered to break the windows. Statistics show that thieves cannot be bothered to waste time trying to open locked glove boxes - they want to smash and grab.
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An idea I have been thinking of for the screen mount is to place a card into the mount slide, saying something like:

The unit is NOT in the vehicle (car)
So don't waste your time.

OK, will they believe you Question

Also, if you have nothing to hide, "leave your glove box open"
" Now I must start practising what I suggest " Embarassed
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldfogy,

Why on earth are you publishing your own device code in your signature? What relevance is this to anybody? This is like your Windows product code or your debit card PIN - you should not tell anybody else what it is!

Quote:
Also, if you have nothing to hide, "leave your glove box open"

I now do - ever since my tomtom was stolen.
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG

Thanks very much for pointing that out.
I did not realise the relevance of it.

Hopefully you are the first to spot it as I only put it there in the last 30 minutes. (But it only takes a thief a 10 seconds). Embarassed
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
There is no reason why the antitheft technology would be bypassable if it is enforced in the hardware.

It may not be impossible but I don't think there is a chance in hell of a sat nav manufacturer bothering to go to all this trouble.

Why? Well, take a look at mobile phones. They can be blacklisted but theyre are still thousands of these stolen every year and many of them are stolen in violent physical attacks (as opposed to someone nicking it from your car where usually no body gets hurt).

So if they can't/won't secure mobile phones (even under intense pressure from the Police who want to reduce the crime rate) then what chance do Sat Navs have?
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
So if they can't/won't secure mobile phones (even under intense pressure from the Police who want to reduce the crime rate)

Not really sure what you're talking about. You CAN secure mobile phones which is why they don't work after they've been stolen. Once the IEMI number has been blacklisted, the phone is completely useless on all networks. This change has led to a large reduction in mobile phone crime. The only people that nick them still are the people that don't know about this. The only problem is that it's not very well publicised.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
Once the IEMI number has been blacklisted, the phone is completely useless on all networks.

That's what the spin doctors would have you believe. The reality is:

You can reprogram many types of phone to change the IMEI number although this is illegal under the Mobile Phones (Reprogramming) Act 2002.

The black list only applies to the UK so your stolen phone could be shipped to Europe or Africa where it is simply used on the network with a different SIM card.

Indeed, for many years Vodafone and Cellnet refused to bar phones blacklisted by Orange and T-Mobile! They turned a blind eye to stolen phones being used on their network - as long as the user was paying the the bill.

It was only when the Government put pressure on them (due to the levels of mobile phone muggings making them look soft on crime) that they agreed to share blacklists.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: