Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice on PDA with GPS/GPRS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on PDA with GPS/GPRS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chalkstorm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Advice on PDA with GPS/GPRS Reply with quote

Hi there - I am very new to this so I apologise now if I am asking daft questions...! I'm currently using a Sony Clie - primarily for schedules & contacts. I want to sell this and purchase:

A good PDA with GPRS so I can check email
A GPS system
Traffic camera information
Possible some sort of SAT/NAV - routing software.

Would any of you good people have any idea on what sort of combination I should go for, expected costs of such a set up and any pitfalls I need to be aware of?

Many thanks, in advance for any help...

Kind regards, Simon Rolling Eyes
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question you really have to ask yourself, is do you use Microsoft based applications like Outlook/Outlook Express ? If so, the Pocket PC is your definate route as you'll find interfacing with Outlook/OE is much better with the Pocket PC.

Personally, I prefer the HP iPAQ 2210's, you can plug over 20 different GPS Receivers into the iPAQ and use nearly any Pocket PC GPS based software from Street Navigation to Topographical maps used for hiking/walking, to in-plane etc. Safety Camera support can be added to TomTom Navigator 2 via our Pocket GPS Safety Camera Database.

You can pick up a Pocket PC solution with GPS Hardware and Software (UK Street Routing Maps) for around £600, or if you want to go for the Dell budget option, then last I saw was £499 inc VAT.

If you're a gadget kinda guy, and you don't mind spending more than this, then I'd add a Bluetooth GPS Receiver to give you a cableless setup.

Take a look at our Hardware Reviews and Software Reviews for a little more info on the products available, and please do ask questions here in the forums, that's what they're here for.
Darryl
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chalkstorm - I know exactly how you feel - the more you read the harder the choice becomes.

I agree with Dave on the IPAQ 2210 - have read loads of reviews and all seem to praise this machine - just need to save a few quid up now - as for the GPS it seems that each time a look at the forums there are more issue raised than answered.

I think I have narrowed it down between the Navman 4000 and the TomTom 2 - both Bluetooth although people are saying that the bluetooth connection can be a bit tempromental ! I liked the look of the Sysonchip - but again Dave has had a bit (!) of feedback from certain people that this might have some problems and then I am not sure what other bits you need with the Sysonchip to enable GPS Sat Nav use (software & hardware).

Good luck in you quest Chalkstorm and keep me posted on your progress as you may just find out the answers to my questions en-route ! Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: