Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO 910 Grey/Blue GPS Bars...What do they mean??!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO 910 Grey/Blue GPS Bars...What do they mean??!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: TomTom GO 910 Grey/Blue GPS Bars...What do they mean??!! Reply with quote

Hello.

I've had my tomtom go 910 now quite a while, when I don't use it for 24hours then go to turn it on again, it takes between 1 mintue and 2 minutes to actually get a valid GPS Fix.

After i've booted it up and put in my pin, i instantly tap the gps bar then tap the gps status screen which brings up all the different bars which shows you what satellites and how many the go 910 has found.

As soon as i turn it on it finds about 8-10 satellites but they are ALL greyed out, it then takes to go 910 2 minutes to find a valid gps fix and turn about 3 of them blue. After a further few mintues they are all blue.

What is up with this and what does it mean?? It's not an annoying problem, just weird.

Has anyone else found this with theirs? Previously I owned a TomTom ONE and that used to find a valid gps within seconds, even when I left it for 2-3 days. Is this going to be fixed in a future software update do you think?

I would greatly appreciate a reply to as what the greyed out bars mean because the go 910 can abviously see thoses satellites as they move up and down ect.

Rolling Eyes probably i'm just being thick Embarassed

Cheers,

Chris
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to double post, just thought i'd mention this doesn't make a difference if I use the QuickGPSFix EITHER from tomtom home or the go 910 itself over a GPRS connection.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Confused
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why it should take so long to get a fix.

The grey bars indicate that a sat has been 'picked up' and that the Device is receiving Data. At this stage the Device is unable to triangulate it's position from the information it's receiving.

When the grey turns to blue, it indicates that it is able to triangulate the position of the Device relative to the sats.

Have a look at time to first fix comparisons which, although it's not about your Device, gives an idea of what's involved and basic theory

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Richard.

I've emailed tomtom customer services, and being tomtom they suggest doing a factory reset. I assume this will erase all satellite information that the go 910 has and do a initial first GPS Fix again? I'll try it and see what happens.

Do you know if this will work?!?

It's ok if i turn it on and leave it, it then finds 8-11 satellites when i'm in the house! But if I leave it for a day and come back to it, it takes the 2-3 minutes as I explained above.

What do you think I should do? return it to tomtom and get it fixed? Or return to dixons online store where I bought it from? Or even keep it and see if it gets better? I don't want to be bothered about returning it as it taken ages to set it all up ect.

Hmmmm.....

Chris
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know first hand about the x10 series, but my Classic can take a couple of minutes some days and others less than 30secs. That's with an external aerial.

As you have a better receiver than mine, I would assume that it's a question of the amount of Data that has to be processed. Yours being a faster Device than mine I would have thought it could have performed better.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lydiachris wrote:
It's ok if i turn it on and leave it, it then finds 8-11 satellites when i'm in the house! But if I leave it for a day and come back to it, it takes the 2-3 minutes as I explained above.
Chris, what type of windscreen have you got fitted to the car? is it Athermic coated glass? as this could be causing your problems in the car, if the device is quickly finding upto 8 sats in the house, but struggles in the car maybe an external aerial will be needed to feed the signal to the device from an area not affected by the coated glass, (rear parcel shelf, or near a side window, these are not usually coated).
I typically get a lock within 30 seconds each morning with the 910, I have on occasions seen this go out to a few mins when I have driven off (but thats my fault not the device). The only time the unit took more than 20 mins was outside the shop where I purchsed it, once I reset the unit it acquired a lock in under two mins. Since then no problems, it does update via the web (TomTom Home) when I dock the unit, but not too often as to need this every day. Mke
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replys. Much appreciated :D

We have just a normal windscreen. Believe it or not, I think i've sorted it. I took the 910 outside and sat with it for about 45 minutes, was a nice day after all Wink now when i turn it on it only takes between 5-30 seconds to get it's fix. Perhaps when it did it's factory bootup for the first time, it did not get all of the Almanac and Ephemeris data correctly. Fingers crossed it will work tomorrow morning. I'll let you know.

I'm pretty impressed with the SIRFIII chipset as I was travelling down the A47 today and it found 12 satellites! I've never had that many before, even on my tomtom one. Actually has anyone ever had over 12 before? Although the stats say it's 20 all-in-view, there are not that many bars to fill on the GPS status screen!!!!

Thanks again,

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: