Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 5 with Kirrio GPS Cradle - NO SOUND
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 5 with Kirrio GPS Cradle - NO SOUND
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chinnorbiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: TomTom 5 with Kirrio GPS Cradle - NO SOUND Reply with quote

Hi,
My HP RZ1710 came with ViaMichelin software and a Kirrio GPS cradle but the Via michelin software is crap, so I bought TomTom 5 for it. I installed the TT on a seperate SD card, and once installed i managed to find a GPS signal from the kirrio kit with a bit of playing around with ports etc.

When plugging the GPS Cradle into the fag lighter, the ViaMichelin software tries to start, but an error message appears. I can then manually start the Tomtom 5 software and use it.

The only problem I have is that the TT software won't use the Kirrio cradles speaker, so the sound output is very low and inaudiable when going fast.

Any help much apprieciated,

Oliver
melpen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you resolve this problem, please post it, have been trying to fix this problem for months now
Fizza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oliver,
I have the rz1710 (gps bundle)
Would it be possible for you to tell me how you got the gps to work with the tomtom software.
I agree with you, the via michelin was very limited so bought the tomtom software but cant get it to find a signal
Hope you can help
Did you find out how to get the sound working?

Thanks,

John
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know there was a question earlier regarding iGO and the Kirrio cradle. Our understanding is that the Kirrio sound will ONLY work with Via Michelin. Best is to stay away from both the cradle and the software.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
jaylay30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just upgraded from viamichelin to tomtom 5 on my 1710. Just installed it and it came up and ran ok? I had to uninstalled viamichelin to stop it running when the pda was put in the cradle. I left the gpsutility progam on my 1710 incase its required (I dont know if it is or not). I set tomtom to 'Other NMEA Cable' Baud rate 19200 com port 1 and away it went. Sound is fine. It may sound stupid and I'm not saying you are but have you checked the sound is turned up on both your PDA and in tomtom? They both have volumn controls.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the sound coming through the cradle though?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
jaylay30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is but must admit Ive not checked as the sound is ok. Next time I'm in my car I'll have a listen and post back.
jaylay30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin,
your right. I think the sound is coming from my pda not the cradle. I can hear it ok in my megane when at speed so didnt realise. I must admit that I didnt think the cradles speakers wereup to much as they werent that clear.

I notice tomtom do a package with the 1710. What cradles does that use?
Silav101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That uses a "standard" carkit, which powers the PDA through a cigarette lighter cable and has an RJ-11 input for the Wired GPS-receiver.
CraigPearson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
I have an Ipaq 1710 with a kirrio cradle running Tom Tom software. I did use Via Michelin but un-installed it. As a consequence the gpsutility.exe has been removed, and now the PDA will not talk to the Kirrio cradle. Can someone out there send me the gpsutility.exe file from their PDA? I cannot find anywhere to download it. The file should be in \Program Files\ViaMichelin\Navigation\GPSUtility.exe on the PDA.
Please send to craigpearson004@hotmail.com
Cheers.
CraigPearson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its okay - the gpsutility.exe is installed if you install one of the patches available on the viamichelin website (I moved from Viamichelin v3.11 to v3.2 and gpsutility.exe suddenly appeared!)
GadgetUK164
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone managed to get the speak output working between TomTom 5/ 6 and the Kirrio cradle?

I am looking to work with other developers on a solution to this problem. I just bought the rx1950 with the Kirrio and ViaMichelin. Tomtom 6 is way better and bought myself a copy, but it doesn't 'drive' the speaker on the Kirrio.

I have a couple of theories here. Firstly lets tackle the blue LED issue. The LED is 'driven' by the ViaMichelin software and you can see an executable that sits in the \Program Files\ViaMichelin folder. If you run it, it lights the LED... I think this is just a cosmetic thing, but it could be 'powering' the speaker, although I think it's unlikely and it's purely a cosmetic indicator.

As for the sound output, I tried to get hold of the tech specs for the HP IPAQ rx1950 from the HP developer site, BUT you have to pay $199 per year to get access to specs and code samples etc.

I suspect ViaMichelin is enabling the audio line out, which sends the audio via the expansion connector, into the speaker which is already powered by your 12v battery in the car.

If we could produce an executable that simply switches on this 'AUX' secondary line output for the audio it would work when you load Tomtom, or any other GPS software. I am sure this would be a really quick fix if we can get hold of someone who is subscribed to the HP developer network. It's so frustrating...
GadgetUK164
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I contacted HP to see if they can get someone in the developer community to help. I pointed out that if I could get the tech specs for the rx1950 I could probably solve this, but $200 just to fix this problem is out of the question for me. I will update this thread if HP reply. I have been told they have forwarded the information onto the dev community.
coliog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any progress on the kirrio cradle for rx1950 yet? I too uninstalled ViaMichelin but when I try to run TomTom6 in the cradle it says "no GPS device" on screen. Would be glad to hear any help
alimoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have also got a kirrio cradle with the rx1950. Viamichelin was so awful we got the Tom Tom software but the gps is not detected. How do we make this work, I have played around with the baud rate etc, but not found the solution.

If we give up on it what is the best solution? (we like the rx1950, but need the satnav and we definitely prefer TomTom)

Thanks for your help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: