Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 510 on/off switch
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 510 on/off switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chippychap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: TomTom 510 on/off switch Reply with quote

The Tom Tom was my first, it only lasted 6 days, Maplins have already had it twice as long as me.
From various threads there seems to be a problem with the on/off switch.
I think mine died due to the pouch not protecting it sufficiently whilst in the pouch in my wife's bag, in theory it could have been pressed by something for the hour it was in there.
Options include leaving it hidden in the car Crying or Very sad or carrying it round.
Is it a known problem, and are other TomToms better? I want to own one not just borrow it from the shop occasionally
Chippychap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I wasn't after a hatchet job on TomTom.
Let me put it another way, do all T/T's have the same pouchy thing, coz it seems a little unsupportive of the unit if you have to cart it with you wherever you go.
I like the bigger screen, blue tooth....................ish, Maplins now have a brand new unit waiting for me to collect and I'm really excited.
If this one goes kerplunk, what are my options with units of a similar screen size and similar quality of mapping etc.
My car has a little compartment somewhere, which is where my little beastie will reside whilst away from the house, no more being jumbled about in the memsahib's bag whist shopping.
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the pouch is mainly to prevent dust than to protect the TomTom. If your going to leave your TomTom in the car I suggest you leave you car unlocked at least then when someone steals your TomTom you won't have to replace your locks or windows
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chippychap wrote:

My car has a little compartment somewhere, which is where my little beastie will reside whilst away from the house, no more being jumbled about in the memsahib's bag whist shopping.

That's a big No-No. Every half educated thief knows to open the compartments when they see the mount or traces of the mount on the windscreen.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chippy, you could always buy a hard case, I wouldn't leave it in the car, give it to me if you want to loose it, Laughing Out Loud. Seriously, have a look here, Aluminium case, £25, including postage and packing, It's from one of the companies that anvertise on this site, so you should be able to get discount too.

http://www.pdamods.com/products.asp?cat=120
Chippychap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was happy to carry it round, it wasn't, it only lasted 6 days of very ocasional use.
The replacement (brand new in the box) just didn't work, it wouldn't read the SD card.
I liked it very much (it was my first so nothing to compare it with) hopefully, when batch 2 comes along that isn't so fragile I'll try again (AND take it with me wherever I go Laughing )
Thanks guys
Chippychap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way of looking at it guys.
I wipe the sucker mark off the windscreen, take the doodad with me, the scumbag doesn't know this so smashes my window just to find the hidey hole empty :x
Is there no way to have TomTom fry it remotely if it gets taken, like they can do with mobile phones?
I think I'm sliding into another topic here Embarassed
Much respect to you all
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put a pin number on it, Although it is easy to wipe the pin off. The only thing you can do is write the serial number down. So that if it is stolen you can reclaim it if it is found.
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shauneco wrote:
You can put a pin number on it, Although it is easy to wipe the pin off. The only thing you can do is write the serial number down. So that if it is stolen you can reclaim it if it is found.

There are some other posts on the forum from police officers Police who have found in their investigations numerous SatNavs. They were stating that no central register was available to locate owners and that the cheapest and probably the most effective method of returning equipment to the rightful owner was by using a UV pen and marking the postcode on the items (satnav and mount (if its one of those monsters that tomtom use Smile )
Chippychap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame they can't transmit their position instead of just receiving.

The look on their face when the police knock on the door.......priceless Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: