Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Need to "Pimp my i3"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Need to "Pimp my i3"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Need to "Pimp my i3" Reply with quote

hi all,

Got my Garmin i3 today! Really like it and it was a bargain for £129.99 (I think).

Anyway so I want to pimp her up. Im going to be getting a micr sd card to load stuff onto but am unsure "what" I need to upgrade.

Ive been reading around and gather that verson 2.7 is better than any other version so will stick to that. I want some poi's and the speed cameras installed onto here but dont know where to get them from or how to install them on. Could someone please advise a new Garmin'er Smile

Thanks 8)
giltech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 3.0 firmware and have no problems, but it seems plenty have had, so sticking to 2.7 sounds a good idea.

If you haven't downloaded the POILoader you need to do that now at: http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927

For all you need on POI's goto:

http://www.garminpoi.co.uk

for speed cameras d/base. Pay your subscription. and download

When all downloaded - Make a new folder - unzip by right clicking and "extract all" - Make sure you save these and the POI's into this folder.

Now use your POILoader.

Note your camera warnings will not beep or show up on your machine unless you are over the speed limit for that camera. You can tweek this by opening the CVS spreadsheet on each of the camera files. Do a "Find and Replace" and put in find the @ sign and replace with space space. Now load these together with your POIS again from the ONE folder. Now the camera postion will beep and show the speed limit for that camera plus the icon will show on your screen.

The i3 is a great little SatNav, I sold my Blue Media for this model. It does what it says on the box.

In GSP mode I use WAAS rather that normal (this could be a matter of choice)

Good luck !
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent bits of advise - thanks a lot !

Ive got myself a 512mb transflash card but am having troubles loading pois onto there. I need to upload the pois and speed camera database onto the card I think as theres no space on the garmin itself. Do you know how to do this ? (Ive tried POILoader but it keeps saying I do not have enough space which is not true as I have 512mb on transflash)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nudda wrote:
Excellent bits of advise - thanks a lot !

Ive got myself a 512mb transflash card but am having troubles loading pois onto there. I need to upload the pois and speed camera database onto the card I think as theres no space on the garmin itself. Do you know how to do this ? (Ive tried POILoader but it keeps saying I do not have enough space which is not true as I have 512mb on transflash)

you can't load onto the transflash card via poi loader. you need a seperate card reader to do that - your tflash card probably came with an sd-card adaptor? if so, stick it in a card reader (or digital camera that opens as a removeable drive) and upload that way.

MaFt
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Ill give that a shot MaFt - thanks a lot
Great job with the poi website by the way ! Smile
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

done that ... I have put the poi's all on the transflash (csv and bmp files) but cannot see any of the locations when I turn the i3 on. Do I need to do anything to activate them ?
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nudda wrote:
done that ... I have put the poi's all on the transflash (csv and bmp files) but cannot see any of the locations when I turn the i3 on. Do I need to do anything to activate them ?

I think what MaFt meant was use poiloader to upload / convert your POIs to the Garmin / i3 format, and load them on to your transflash card - rather than simply copying the csv / gpx and bmp files, as the i3 doesn't understand them, natively - POIloader converts them all to a single file (poi.gpi).
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried that now and get a folder on my transflash garmin/poi/poi.gpi but still cant see poi like homebase etc on the maps.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nudda wrote:
tried that now and get a folder on my transflash garmin/poi/poi.gpi but still cant see poi like homebase etc on the maps.

Can you select one as a custom point to navigate to?
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, when I go to where to? -- Food and retaurants -- Custom points

the only thing I see there is the speed camera files (gatso, spec etc)

Im sure Im doing something wrong ... but I dont know what ! Smile

Thanks for helping
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES ! I can see them now. There were two txt files in the poi folder so it kept giving me errors. I removed those and included in the speed camera db all in one folder and now i have a .gpi file of around 3.6 mb and can see the poi in the custom locations menu

so now I just turn it on and use ? Or do I need to do something else ?

thanks for bearing with me ! Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: