Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Medion Navigator 5 information
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Medion Navigator 5 information

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimonOsna
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Medion Navigator 5 information Reply with quote

I have just had the following email back from Medion regarding Medion Navigator 5's features. I thought that it may be useful for anybody thinking about updating.

Medion Nav 5: Has now got the feature where when typing in the destination it willauto search as you type in each letter of the area or street withouthaving to hit OK.
Has much smoother 3D and 2D maps as the software sets it self to optimized settings by detecting the hardware of the PNA or PDA. By doing so it gives much more FPS (Frames Per Second) making it very smooth when moving on the map compared with version 4 that would only use 1FPS.
There are 2 user modes, Easy and Professional: By default when first used by user it is set to Easy mode.
Easy Mode - Making it easier for the user to work with, by having less settings display, making less decisions to make by the user.
Pro Mode - Gave more options to the user, settings like profile avoid, types of road and profile of car.
Looked more user friendly as uses icons as buttons to make it easier for the user.
Map Data is not set out like version 4 where there was kwa, DB, maps. It is now as one file, which can also be copied and pasted as there is no map export.
Maps are made by Nav tech. Map information last updated end of 2004

Settings In settings you have a factory reset to set back to easy mode. Default not to display street names on map when navigating but this can be changed in map info in settings.
Has auto detect GPS receiver option in settings which will pick up comport settings for the GPS receiver. GPS icon does not display number of GPS satellites it has picked up will just show GPS Ready until you click on GPS icon then will display how many it is picking up. GPS icon also shows No GPS No Signal.
Has TMC option in version 5.TMC is like getting traffic jam report on the radio, Works from radio stations and will pick up traffic reports and if there is a road block on your route when you are navigating it will re-calculate your route so you avoid hitting traffic. This also has an option in settings to set to auto re-calculate route when picks up TMC report or you can set to confirm first before itre-calculates route. Sadly TMC is not really available in the UK and is only been tried on Classic FM in London. TMC is more available for Europe.
Also user will have to purchase a receiver to use TCM that will connect to PDA/PNA to be able to use the TMC ability as are unit's GPS Arial's do not pickup TMC. Version 5 does not have the speeding ability warning that warns you when you are going over the speed limit.
Hope this helps
Rosie
Technical Support AdvisorMedion UK120 Faraday ParkFaraday Road, DorcanSwindon, Wilts, SN3 5JFSwitchboard: +44 (0)1793 715715

The english is not mine has mins allways prefect.
Hooloovoo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Medion Navigator 5 information Reply with quote

Having been using the 5.1 upgrade for awhile now I just thought I'd comment on some of the points in your list when comparing to 4.75.

SimonOsna wrote:
Medion Nav 5: Has now got the feature where when typing in the destination it willauto search as you type in each letter of the area or street withouthaving to hit OK.

This is true, but rather slow. You have a to wait a few seconds for it to finish searching before it shows you the results after each letter-press. You also have an on-screen keyboard rather than the mobile phone type keypad. However, it is organised ABCD... rather than QWERTY so it takes a little while to find each letter (for me at least!). Why they didn't go with QWERTY I'll never know - seems like a dumb decision.

The actual address entering system itself is no better. There's no full postcode support, and you still can't enter an address if you don't know the postcode. If all you have is the street and house number and the rough location then you're stuffed. The software wont let you do anything at all without the postcode.

Quote:
Has much smoother 3D and 2D maps as the software sets it self to optimized settings by detecting the hardware of the PNA or PDA. By doing so it gives much more FPS (Frames Per Second) making it very smooth when moving on the map compared with version 4 that would only use 1FPS.

Not on my 95900 it doesn't. It still updates exactly the same as version 4.75 at only 1FPS. So the map update is still jerky - not smooth like on TomTom. Also the 3D display is still useless since it doesn't show any road names.

Quote:
There are 2 user modes, Easy and Professional: By default when first used by user it is set to Easy mode.

Yeah. Absolutely pointless. Is this what they spend their time working on rather than fixing bugs and adding stuff that people actually want/need? Crazy. The first thing you'll do it set it to expert and never look at that setting again.

Quote:
Map Data is not set out like version 4 where there was kwa, DB, maps. It is now as one file, which can also be copied and pasted as there is no map export.

The map data for the UK takes up only around 2/3 of the space compared to 4.75 so you get more free space on your memory card. IIRC it's around 100Mb for the UK.

Quote:
Maps are made by Nav tech. Map information last updated end of 2004

Yeah I upgraded to 5.1 from 4.75 when my 4.75 started complaining that the map data was over one year old. I used 5.1 for about a month and then that started complaining that the data was over one year old as well............ it seems Medion don't bother getting the latest maps.

Quote:
GPS icon does not display number of GPS satellites it has picked up will just show GPS Ready until you click on GPS icon then will display how many it is picking up. GPS icon also shows No GPS No Signal.

And this is considered an upgrade is it? Now I have to actually click on the sat icon to get an idea of how good my fix is. Why couldn't they have just left the little number showing you have mays sats it's picking up?

Quote:
Has TMC option in version 5.TMC is like getting traffic jam report on the radio,

Never tried this since my 95900 unit doesn't support TMC. And in any case even if you have the 96800 you still need to buy additional hardware to make use of it. As you say, it's not really available in the UK anyway. Given the poor traffic reports on the radio in this country I doubt it would work well anyway.

So after all that would I go back to 4.75? Well, no. Version 5.1 isn't exactly what I would call an upgrade, but you have to use it since the latest maps aren't compatible with earlier versions.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: