Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Firmware release 3.10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Firmware release 3.10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JinnanTonnix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildie wrote:
have you set it too UTC if so turn it too 24hr UTC time is GMT and thats always 1hr behine BST, UTC will over ride the other settings.

My settings are:
Daylight saving:Auto
Time Format:12 Hour
Time Zone Europe Western (WET)

And it's reading one hour behind.

If I switch on daylight saving, the tme is correct, but if I switch off daylight saving the time is 1 hour behind. This indicates that the auto setting is not switching on the daylight saving setting.
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JinnanTonnix wrote:
Wildie wrote:
have you set it too UTC if so turn it too 24hr UTC time is GMT and thats always 1hr behine BST, UTC will over ride the other settings.

My settings are:

If I switch on daylight saving, the tme is correct, but if I switch off daylight saving the time is 1 hour behind. This indicates that the auto setting is not switching on the daylight saving setting.

Daylight saving is the same as summer time in the uk so should be set.
It looks like your screen brightness contol has been corrupted.
Summer time was first defined in an Act of 1916 that ordained that for a certain period during the year legal time should be one hour in advance of GMT.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JinnanTonnix wrote:
My settings are:

My settings are the same as yours, and the unit is showing the correct time.

Either take your i3 back for exchange/refund, or contact Garmin. They seem to be pretty good at exchanging faulty units.
Samsung Galaxy S21
thesmithz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
tried it today with a trip from the midlands to North London and back ... no problems whatsoever

Was this trip MAINLY motorway or fast A road? If so, have you tried it around town yet / much? I can see that the lag might not be so apparent on fast roads but in town it can be a pain.

admitedly a lot of it was on the M1 & M25, but there was quite a bit "around town" at either end of the journey. I can honestly say I didn't notice any lag, but then again, I've got nothing to compare it with as I upgraded to 3.10 the night I got the unit.

Even though I knew where I was going (so I was only testing out the i3) the i3 suggested a route which involved leaving the M25 1 junction ealier that I would have done. I decide to go with it and see which route it took me. All the directions given were timely and I arrived at my destination via a new route !

I found the speed camera POIs really useful, and again, these were given in a timely manner just as I was approaching the speed camera area.
Pootle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the bright side it gives earlier warning at roundabouts and the detail is much better e.g. it will announce turns in feet/metres under 0.1 mile/km

but.....

Great pauses while you wait for it to even begin calculating routes, multiple white screen lock ups on a variety of roads. e.g. Nottingham to Hull (M1, M18, M62, A63), Nottingham to Wakefield (M1, A636), Nottingham to Matlock (M1, A38, A615). Also phantom Recalculations, while on the correct route and sat nav tracking on correct route?

Version 2.82 appears to be the best but the single grouping of POI's sucks so back to 2.7 it is........
(A)nd
(P)roud
-----------------------------------
i3, V8, V2.7, WAAS EGNOS.
Audio V2, Simpsons Voice File
-----------------------------------
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also phantom Recalculations, while on the correct route and sat nav tracking on correct route?

Noticed this on quite a few occassions. Even the wife noticed it was recalculating even after taking the right turn and in the middle of some roads for no reason!

Now back to 2.7 (again) currently trying Egnos mode but find it lacks somewhat too.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now back to 2.7 (again) currently trying Egnos mode but find it lacks somewhat too.

Sorry that's

Now back to 2.7 (again) currently trying Egnos mode but find it LAGS somewhat too.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gave 3.1 a trial over the long weekend and not overly impressed. to begin with not a problem - i actually wondered what you lot were all moaning about!

anyway, after a while (just in map mode, not navigating) the map froze - the speed and road names at top etc were still updating, just not the map. i have it set on 'more' detail and 3-d view. like someone else said, a quick double tap on 'back' tends to wake it up again, but sometimes takes a bit with a white screen before life is restored!

i didn't get this problem with 2.9 or 3.0 though, just 3.1...

MaFt
galaxy111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read the posts on this topic, I'm happy that I've never loaded an upgrade since v2.7. My i3 has functioned without problems to an acceptable standard (for me).

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Thumbs Up

Let's hope that, sooner or later, Garmin's software programmers will manage to issue an upgrade that works. Confused
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

galaxy111 wrote:
Let's hope that, sooner or later, Garmin's software programmers will manage to issue an upgrade that works. Confused

And let's hope that there's someone left with the faith to actually test it Rolling Eyes
thesmithz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got a big journey to northumberland this evening, so I'll see how 3.10 behaves.

If I have problems .. which is the best version to install. Everyone seems to have a slightly different opinion?

Also ... the journey I'm doing tonight is approx 240 miles. www.theaa.com claims it's 230.7 miles ( near enough ). My i3 reckons it's 188 miles ... well off the mark !!! Has anyone else spotted mistakes in distance calculations ?
acefreecell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well have been testing 3.1 for a while, then went up to Yorkshire yesterday. Fine on the way up in navigation mode, but went the long way round (added 20 mins to the route). On the way back, I was wondering off the screen, total blackness, lock ups you name it happened. This was in map mode, so was most disapointed. So its back to 2.7 for me, and forget about the slight benifits that are on the later firmware revions.

Still noticed that round my local town, it says straight on instead of bear left, 8O Arrow 8O this was correct on 2.7 and before.

I read further developments with interest........

Motorola Defy with CamerAlert, NDrive 11, Co-Pilot Live and Google Maps

formally Garmin i3, Nuvi 200 and Origin BlueI
(Origin for sale)
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesmithz wrote:
the journey I'm doing tonight is approx 240 miles. www.theaa.com claims it's 230.7 miles ( near enough ). My i3 reckons it's 188 miles ... well off the mark !!! Has anyone else spotted mistakes in distance calculations ?

Have you tried looking at the route via 'review turns' after calculating the route? This should give a more accurate journey distance. The distance given for favourites/POIs from your current position, as they are selected, seem to be 'as straight as the crow flies' rather than actual on route distance.
thesmithz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumpkin wrote:

Have you tried looking at the route via 'review turns' after calculating the route? This should give a more accurate journey distance. The distance given for favourites/POIs from your current position, as they are selected, seem to be 'as straight as the crow flies' rather than actual on route distance.

that's better .. adding up each stage came to 223 !!

odd choice of route though ... it suggests going M1 - M18 - A1 as opposed to the much better route of M1 - A1(M) ( since they joined the M1 to the A1(M) a few years ago )
churchin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it was the weather, but on Saturday I thought I'd update from 3.0 to 3.10 and test it on a simple journey to Southampton (hour and a half journey down the M3 basically). Handy for just map view to keep an eye on those pesky speed cameras.

I switched on the unit and it sat there waiting for satellite lock, no problem I thought it can take a bit of time after an update so just left it and started my journey. The i3 finally picked up satellites just as I approached the roundabout before my destination, an hour and 25 mins later! 8O

On the way back in the evening, it found some satellites pretty quickly but I noticed that the map and speed were not consistant with my speed and position. It then started losing reception.

As I say, it could have been the weather causing these problems but I have not had this trouble before and so have decided to go back to 2.7 as it would appear to be the most stable/quick.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: