Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Firmware release 3.10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Firmware release 3.10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or they have finished with the i3 and a replacement product is on the way!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Eventually one day someone will say this and they'll be right!! Doesn't seem to be any sign of the i3 being phased out yet...
rigga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Audio versions Reply with quote

PerseusTheseus wrote:
I made an enquiry to Garmin a while back regarding people with differnt audio versions ... some people had version 2.00 like myself and other had audio version 2.30 here is what they had to say;
Quote:

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email.

There are two versions of the i3. The newer version has internal memory for the maps where as the older version uses a mirco sd card. The Internal memory has slightly different software and the 2.30 audio version is only applicable to the revised version of the i3.

Thank you

Regards

PerseusTheseus

Only just recently purchased my i3,registerd with garmin and was advised there was an updated firmware download available,so did that before i even used it so cannot say anything about its performance or not,its working fine for me at the moment...... but regards the statement above concerning earlier and later units having differing sound versions,mine has the sd card so presume earlier one? and when i updated it to firmware 3.10 it shows the sound as now 2.50...... seems to be after reading on here hit and miss as to what sound version you get.

martin
rigga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

Eventually one day someone will say this and they'll be right!! Doesn't seem to be any sign of the i3 being phased out yet...

Found it very hard to locate a unit,all my local Halfords and Comet's had sold out and were not getting any more....... had to travel a good distance to locate the last one in the shop..... seems it is being phased out now and all remaining stock sold at discounted levels,from my little use of it with ash's speed camera utility added i can see why its sold out :D

Wonder why such an afordable and good working unit ( i know there has been problems reported on here but overal all seems a great unit ) has been phased out?

martin
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't think it's being phased out. Just because it's difficult to find? People have been saying the i3 is being phased out since Xmas. 7 months! That's a long phase out period.

Perhaps production doesn't keep up with demand hence the difficulty in finding them.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If the i3 is being phased out why do we keep getting threads about retailers who have it in stock?

Incidentall discounted prices have been mentioned but the recent threads mention i3s at about £99 which is the same price they were 3-4 months ago.

Quote:
Wonder why such an afordable and good working unit ( i know there has been problems reported on here but overal all seems a great unit ) has been phased out?

When it is phased out it'll be replaced by something better at about the same price. As with most other products.
Wildie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surply and demand and the demand for the i3 is greater then the surply, anyway currys have them in at 99 quid.
swanson2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Phasing Out The i3? Reply with quote

Hi,

I was talking to a employee of Garmin UK recently who told me that the Streetpilot i3 was being reviewed with a view to being phased out.

However he also informed me that the unexpected popularity of the i3, due to it's cost and ease of use, together with extremely good sales figures and reliability, means that it is more than likely to be available for a long time to come!

Robert Swanson

:D
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on topic...

I think I may have some progress on the issues with 3.10

I have access to 2 i3 units now. One old (maps on SD) ans one new (Internal Maps with SD POIs). They both route fine but the old unit lags. I think this is just a fact of life, possibly a delay on the interface to the SD Maps.

Now important bit... NO SCREEN LOCKS or WHITE SCREENS!!!

Until...

I uploaded the POIs to the new unit. About 46000 were uploaded. Unit worked fine. Uploaded an updated POI. Expected 46000 to be uploaded POI loader reported that 92000 had been uploaded. I thought nothing of it but next time I went out the unit locked. I went home and wiped the SD card, then reuploaded the POIs, 46000 and no more locks.

Is the problem that something is duplicating the POIs?
galaxy111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: v. 3.0 Firmware Installed Reply with quote

I've just bought a second Streetpilot i3 (for my daughter) on the latest deal from Comet at £99 - a bargain, and was pleased to find that it's the older version with the City Navigator v.8.0 maps on a mini SD card, which means I can load up plenty of additional POI's without a problem. What isn't so good is the fact that it's version 3.0 of the software that is also loaded. I've always used v 2.7 of the software on my first i3 and have never been tempted to upgrade it, thanks largely to the feedback on this website about other owners tales of woe.

So my question is - should I immediately reload v 2.7 to overwrite the installed v 3.0, or am I better upgrading to v 3.1? There doesn't seem any point in leaving it as it is. Any comments please from people that have tried the upgrades.
darrah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have downloaded V3.1 and as yet had no real problems with it,my map version is also #8.
swanson2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi galaxy111,

I have two i3's, each loaded with V3.10 Firmware.

They both came with loaded internal memory and both work OK, usually acquiring a satellite fix within 30 seconds.

However, after reading of other members problems in someof the other i3 threads on this site, especially that of getting initial satellite locks in an acceptable time, I am considering loading V2.7 or V2.8 Beta onto one of my i3's and then trying them side by side on a long journey to see if there is any significant difference.

From what I have read I will only lose "My Favourites" on the i3 I back load the firmware on, and that will not be a problem.

I will probably be doing this in about a weeks time when I will be driving from County Durham to Cornwall so that should be a good test.

Will let you know the results when I get back late August.

Regards,

Robert Swanson

galaxy111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swanson2 wrote:
Will let you know the results when I get back late August
Yes, that would be interesting Robert.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swanson2 wrote:
Hi galaxy111,

I have two i3's, each loaded with V3.10 Firmware.

They both came with loaded internal memory and both work OK, usually acquiring a satellite fix within 30 seconds.

However, after reading of other members problems in someof the other i3 threads on this site, especially that of getting initial satellite locks in an acceptable time, I am considering loading V2.7 or V2.8 Beta onto one of my i3's and then trying them side by side on a long journey to see if there is any significant difference.

From what I have read I will only lose "My Favourites" on the i3 I back load the firmware on, and that will not be a problem.

You don't necessarily have to lose your favourites. True enough, downgrading the firmware will wipe them, but there's a freeware app: Easygps (available from http://www.easygps.com) that will allow you to backup your current favourites (it actually saves them as a GPX file, so there's the potential to re-load them as POIs), and can also restore them after you've downgraded your firmware - so you don't necessarily have to lose anything.

If you do backup and restore your favourites like this, delete the built-in Garmin favourites before you save your backup, because they will already exist on the i3 once you've downgraded your firmware.
swanson2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lester_Burnham,

Thanks for that tip, I will take your advice and thus retain "My Favourites".

Regards,

Robert Swanson

gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updated an I3 with 3.10 and all the languages, OK wont need them but they're there.

On an I3 with an SD card the Language files and POIs are on the card so theres no harm in downloading them. On a C310,c320 or I3 with internal memory storage of languages and POIs dont load additional langauges if you can avoid it. If you can, with internal memory storage of languages its best to only have base English UK and USA because you want the space for POIs

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: