Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Firmware release 3.10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Firmware release 3.10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PerseusTheseus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Audio versions Reply with quote

I made an enquiry to Garmin a while back regarding people with differnt audio versions ... some people had version 2.00 like myself and other had audio version 2.30 here is what they had to say;
Quote:

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email.

There are two versions of the i3. The newer version has internal memory for the maps where as the older version uses a mirco sd card. The Internal memory has slightly different software and the 2.30 audio version is only applicable to the revised version of the i3.

Thank you

Regards

PerseusTheseus
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote to garmin about issues with firmware 3.00 and 3.10 (yes it did take a while for them to reply). after telling me to use 3.10 i got this reply

Quote:
It seems like a software issue to me. However I have not heard of any generic problems with the latest firmware updates. You could try reverting back to 2.80 to see if any improvement is made if not then I would recommend sending the unit in for repair.

To be fair someone at Garmin in the UK said that i could send it back so they could look at it. but i kinda use the thing all they time.......

What has anyone else had back from garmin about 3.10 / 3.00
Coaster2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an email from Garmin saying that they wouldn't recommend reverting to an earlier version.

I have now tries 2.7 2.82 2.9 3.0 and 3.1 and I have finished up back with 2.7 which is easily the best of the bunch.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had an email from Garmin saying that they wouldn't recommend reverting to an earlier version.

Funny. When i had problems with 3.0 they told me to revert to 2.7 when we couldn't resolve it.

Quote:
However I have not heard of any generic problems with the latest firmware updates.

This is not true either because myself and others here have reported these problems to Garmin before. I have also pointed Garmin to this forum and this thread.
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears they may have some internal communication issues maybe?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It appears they may have some internal communication issues maybe?

I think so too. However it seems to be the way with big business these days. Step-daughters bf is trying to fix a problem on his car. When researching the fix the responses from *** ranged from "they all do that, sir. It can't be fixed" to "It'll cost £250 plus VAT". Eventually Googled that it can be fixed for 37p in about 90 minutes.....
Spenk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using 3.1 for a couple of weeks now (with ver 7 maps - I must get the card sent off!) and had some strange responses. No white screens of death or lock-ups, but on several occasions it did seem to lag behind my present position by varying degrees (I use 3D mapping with EGNOS enabled). Also had a couple of random "Recalculating" instances, especially after roundabouts. By far the strangest so far was setting the unit to "TRUCK" rather than "CAR/MOTORCYCLE" as I was travelling to Devon for the weekend towing my caravan and I thought this would be the most suitable. Over 2/3 of the journey is down the M5, which it directed as normal, but as I got into some of the towns you should have seen some of the country roads it was trying to send me down!! Good job I already knew the 'main' road way to my destination. This has also happened in other areas of the country - including sending me down country roads that were now closed off. To be fair, this may be the unit and not this particular version of the firmware - has anyone else got experience of using the unit in this mode?
RayCurry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Saving favorites + firmware with latest maps for i3. Reply with quote

Quote:
The reset procedure you quote is correct as is the need to back up your favorites carring out this procedure after installing 3.1 will make absolutely no difference to the unit.

Confused

Sorry if I have done this wrong, but it's the first time I have posted on a forum.
Can anyone tell me how you back up your favorites on an i3 as I reverted back to firmware 2.7 and it lost all my favorites in the process Crying or Very sad

Also, I now have map version 8. Do some of the later firmware versions (eg 3.1) work better with the later maps?
NiTrO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best way to backup your favs...

http://www.easygps.com/download.asp
i3StreetPilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Just My Two Penneth ...

I bought this unit after being very impressed with using one at work. I got my unit with 2.90 firmware (I think, didn’t really check before I started pimping my i3) and v7 maps. All worked fine. Used it couple of times in Leeds (which IMHO is a good place to try out any satnav unit ... i don't live there btw), tried it round the doors etc and it all seemed fine.

I found out about the free map update to v8 so I sent off my sd card and got it back with V8 maps. Updated the firmware to 3.10 then my problems started. I had another trip to Leeds, it took me down dead ends, not telling me quick enough when to take turnings etc so got very frustrated after it took me over 30mins to do a 2 mile trip. Tried it round the doors, again telling to take a turn down a street that's blocked off to get to my house (it didn't do this previously). Took it back to version 2.70 as some of the posts recommend, seemed to be even worse than before with 3.10.

I'm wondering if it's actually the map update that affects these units rather than the firmware?

Lesson learned, if it aint broke, don't fork about with it Exclamation

All the best.

Brian.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firmware 2.7 and Map v8 - always been fine here.
paulhgc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is 3.1 a no go ?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily for everyone but the general consensus seems to be 3.10 is poor. Most seem to settle for 2.70 or 2.82 Beta. Garmin seemed to have "mis-fired" on several of their latest releases. Look the the newest version of POILoader which makes all POIs appear and bong regardless of the settings you choose.

But then again i might be mis-reading the situation for most....
marbar2k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all seems to have gone quiet on new releases of the firmware or POI loader. Has anyone had any contact with garmin?
north_country_boy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very quiet, doesn't look like they are doing much about the problems loads of us have. The last couple of releases they brought out pretty quickly, shame they were crap though. On the other hand it could be a good sign its taking a long time, they might be putting more thought into it this time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: