Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Total Newbie GPS Confusion what to buy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Total Newbie GPS Confusion what to buy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michael777
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Total Newbie GPS Confusion what to buy Reply with quote

Hi can anyone help yes its another newbie with that old question im in the market for a Sat Nav for my car i have a budget of £250 to £350 with if possible speed camera updating and traffic info but not essential some i have thought about Tom Tom/Evesham/Sony/Garmin any ideas welcome Question
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need to do is 3 things: research, research and research

Get the fulls specs and compare. Find out what are the things that YOU want to do. For example do you want to use it as a bluetooth car kit as well? If so that limits your choice.

There are no decent free camera databases - the one on this site is the best and that costs either £2 a month or £19 a year. Look in the camera section and see which units are compatable with the camera download - that is important if you want cameras.

Finally, and most importantly find a retailer that will allow you to look and play with your shortlist. Which is easiest for you to use? No matter how many features its got if they are not easy to use while driving you will end up not using them.

I like Tom Tom because in my opinion it has the best intuitive interface - but we are all different.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with peterc10, but if you can get access to other peoples satnavs first, you may be able to get more of a feel for what will be important to you.

Also you may have one contact who already has a system which meets your needs, and I have to say, that while there are people on this forum who will give what help and advice they can, there is no substitute for a helpful friend.

I am not suggesting that you blindly follow them- seeing what they have might only tell you what you don't want!
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Total Newbie GPS Confusion what to buy Reply with quote

michael777 wrote:
Hi can anyone help yes its another newbie with that old question im in the market for a Sat Nav for my car i have a budget of £250 to £350 with if possible speed camera updating and traffic info but not essential some i have thought about Tom Tom/Evesham/Sony/Garmin any ideas welcome Question

Since it is for your car I take it you need it for road navigation? Not hiking etc?

Are you looking for an all in one unit?

It basically breaks down into
Integrated units - Everything is in one box, you just plug it into your car cig lighter and you are done

PDA - If you want to get a PDA you can run sat nav on it and then when you are out of the car you have a PDA too. This is the original way of doing sat nav so still quite popular.

Mobile Phone - If you have the right type of mobile phone you can run sat nav on it. Advantage is that you'll probably be carrying a phone anyway, so it's no extra hardware apart from the small reciever, disadvantage is the relatively small screen size.

For your budget I would take a punt and suggest you take a look at the TomTom ONE. Quite cheap and does everything you are asking so far.

If the TomTom ONE doesn't do everything you want then come back onto here and we'll give you more advice Smile
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all the advice above is spot on, how ever if you still cant make your mind up how about coming along to the pocketpgsworld.com in edinburgh if you can make it, youll be able to hav good hands on look at most of the main all in one units on the market.

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
always-getting-lost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i'm also a relative newbie, and to offer my sixpeneth try this link:-

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=39900

(i dont know how you do these lovely box's with quotes Embarassed , so i hope it takes you to my post in the Magellan room.... ).

All i can say is, if you've got a STAPLES STATIONERS near to you, give them a visit...... you might be thinking "Odd....", well all i can say is, their prices are very competitive, they will do a price match, but best of all....... buy any unit, try it for 14 days, if you decide you dont like it or would have prefered a different make/model instead, then all you have to do is go back and get a refund/exchange.... no questions asked.

At the moment i'm halfway through a 14 day trial on a Magellan RM300. And the only moan i've got with it (ok then, 2 moans), 1. it seems a bit slow on TTFF, they are coming in at around 3 - 4 mins, but then as it's my first unit i dont really know if this is good or bad...! and 2. the POI's do seem a little lacking, or again is it me.... am i expecting too much of it?

Anyhow, that's my bit said...... if anyone has any comments re the Magellan i'd be interested (as no-one has replied to my posting as yet), and i'd really like to know if the Garmin C310 is the better unit.

Thanks for reading this, and hope it's of some help.

Nick
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

always-getting-lost wrote:
..All i can say is, if you've got a STAPLES STATIONERS near to you, give them a visit...... you might be thinking "Odd....", well all i can say is, their prices are very competitive, they will do a price match, but best of all....... buy any unit, try it for 14 days, if you decide you dont like it or would have prefered a different make/model instead, then all you have to do is go back and get a refund/exchange.... no questions asked...

Now that is brilliant - do they give a further trial for subsequent units?
michael777
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Hi thanks for all the help i have got a short list The Tom Tom Go 510 and the Mio 269+ can i get speed camera download for the Mio thanks once again. :D
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:

It is good in the sense that you get to try a unit out, but not so good that you may well be effectively buying a used device with the possibility of bits missing etc. I'm pretty sure they would put these straight back on the shelves.

I'm sure that I've experienced this from US dealers (not satnav) due to the prevailing "return it if you decide you don't like it" policy there.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatC wrote:
neil01 wrote:

It is good in the sense that you get to try a unit out, but not so good that you may well be effectively buying a used device with the possibility of bits missing etc. I'm pretty sure they would put these straight back on the shelves.

I'm sure that I've experienced this from US dealers (not satnav) due to the prevailing "return it if you decide you don't like it" policy there.

Quite so, that policy alone means I will likely never shop at Staples now. I've had similar problems buying things from Argos that people have returned, repacked shoddily with bits missing and scratched and they expect me to pay full price for it!
tbarnes520
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just to confuse the issue I will try and help. Consider the size of the TomTom 510 and ask yourself if you are happy to leave it in the car or carry the lump around with you.

You can order POI-warner for MioMapCE (Mio268/269) from www.navigating.de

A great feature of the Mio is being able to receive the Traffic Messages through an additional FM aerial.

I hope that this helps, I run TomTom and my wife runs a Mio 268, we are both happy.

Tomtom Navigator 5 on a HP Ipaq HX4700, Mio 268, TT3 on Ipaq 5555, and a host of others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a GO 700 and like it quite a bit. It sounds like youw ant one of the new devices, and I've heard nothing but good things about the 510 and 910.
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a TomTom 510

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: