Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Submitting Speed Camera changes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Submitting Speed Camera changes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Submitting Speed Camera changes Reply with quote

Over the past couple of months I have submitted dozens of changes to existing cameras so that instead of the warning showing the speed to be a question mark, the actual speed limit is displayed. During my travels, I did find one "mobile" camera in the database which was actually a "Gatso".

I informed the team of the removal of the mobile camera and in a separate submission, informed them of the installation of a Gatso. Does that qualify for lifetime membership?
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry topref, only just spotted your post.

From the FAQs, hope this helps:

Q. How can I get Free Lifetime Membership?

A. Your active paid subscription will be extended free for life if you report just one previously unreported, deleted or altered static speed camera position. (Must consequently be verified by PocketGPSWorld.com.) We monitor all submissions very carefully and you will be notified if we use your submission. If you are successful we will let you know (there is no need to send us an email to check) and automatically extend your current membership. You must be a current paid member and your account must be active to benefit from this offer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q. I've submitted a brand new camera, but I haven't received my free membership. Why?

A. We get 100s of submissions every month and it is not unusual for new cameras to be submitted by several different people.

The verification process can take about a month, but is often sooner.

You will receive a separate Free Lifetime Membership email if you have submitted a camera that is consequently verified by us and you were the first to submit it. If you don't receive a email, please check http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Your_Account every now and then to see if we have extended your subscription. If we haven't, then your submission wasn't successful.

Where the submission was both verified and first, we will of course always extend all memberships automatically whether or not there is email communication, for instance if your ISP blocked our email as commercial.

For general information it is worth noting that we get dozens of incorrect entries (middle of fields, North Sea etc.). These are not malicious, just genuine mistakes with submitters entering the wrong data. So whilst someone is absolutely certain that they've submitted a camera position, it isn't necessarily so that we have included their data.

We also sometimes, though rarely, have to wait longer than we would hope for some cameras to be verified. Overall, we're pleased to report that month on month the quality and volume is increasing, but, by the very nature of the beast, inevitably the odd camera might take a bit of time putting in an appearance.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q. Why might my submission be rejected?

A. There may be a number of reasons:

* Duplicate of earlier submission
* Incorrect co-ordinates
* Unknown camera type
* Verified as not at location specified
Q. Can I have free lifetime membership if I report a mobile camera?

A. Sorry, no. Mobiles are problematical for verification, but please continue to report them - these submissions are still very useful to us.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can fully understand the reasons behind not giving free membership for mobile cameras, some may be tempted to submit a ficticious one, simply to get membership. This could quite easily be verified by a friend and be difficult to physically verify. Wheras if a fixed one is added (and even verified by a friend), it is will be notified as an error by another user of the database, and the fraud will have been uncovered.

However, if someone has trawled through the camera locations provided by the local camera partnerships (or whatever they are called) and found new/missing/deleted cameras, and provided this as coroboration, surely they have earned something? Perhaps the powers that be should consider this situation.

Whetever the outcome, I hope that contributions continue regardless of reward, and that a granted free membership isn't used as a reason to stop contributing.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Whetever the outcome, I hope that contributions continue regardless of reward, and that a granted free membership isn't used as a reason to stop contributing.

I have this afternoon submitted 8 deletions of temporaries and earlier this month submitted several relocations of existing fixed and mobile cameras and a couple of new temporaries.
Just one small problem - I submitted a relocation and a new (temporaries) between J16 and 17 of M4 motorway, but when I drove through two days ago, the works had finished and the cameras have gone. I can't notify removal because they're not yet on the database and nobody else will "confirm" removal for the same reason. If they were confirmed (in the correct location and the new one) after I submitted, we'll have two "new" cameras in the database that we don't want in!!
I've got free lifetime membership and will continue to submit at every opportunity, on the simple grounds that if I do so, then hopefully others will do the same and I'll get the benefit of their contributions during my thousands of miles a year.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
...Just one small problem - I submitted a relocation and a new (temporaries) between J16 and 17 of M4 motorway, but when I drove through two days ago, the works had finished and the cameras have gone. I can't notify removal because they're not yet on the database and nobody else will "confirm" removal for the same reason. If they were confirmed (in the correct location and the new one) after I submitted, we'll have two "new" cameras in the database that we don't want in!!...

Until there is an official response - perhaps notifying them again, but this time with a suitable comment in the box about the road works now cleared, speed limit back to xmph, and cameras now removed.

Or just hope that they haven't been confirmed so they won't get added.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DennisN"]
Quote:

Just one small problem - I submitted a relocation and a new (temporaries) between J16 and 17 of M4 motorway, but when I drove through two days ago, the works had finished and the cameras have gone. I can't notify removal because they're not yet on the database and nobody else will "confirm" removal for the same reason. If they were confirmed (in the correct location and the new one) after I submitted, we'll have two "new" cameras in the database that we don't want in!!.

Many thanks Dennis, I've passed this information on to MikeB.

It goes without saying that your efforts are very much appreciated!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert
URGENT APOLOGIES!!!
I got this wrong, being confused by mobiles 7034, 8630, 7030 & 14110. The two temporaries ARE STILL there between J16 and 17 of M4 Motorway, when I drove through yesterday and a sign says "Bridge repairs until December 06".
To recap, Temp20828 should be relocated across the carriageway to the Eastbound side and a new one is on Westbound carriageway at about 51.533911, -2.118774 (10-15 yards before the overbridge carrying mobiles 7030 & 14110).
So sorry
Dennis
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Dennis, I've forwarded the info on Smile

We all make mistakes (apart from me of course) Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Robert. I really deserved a bit of a wigging for that, so I'm grateful to be forgiven (or at least slightly excused).
It looks as if those M4 cameras are in the database 22 July, so I'll be checking them tomorrow as I go to Bishops Stortford. So much for those who say cameras don't get in quick enough - these have done well.
Dennis
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,
I checked the two M4 cameras today and they need adjustment.
Firstly, Temp 20828 is still on the Westbound Carriageway, facing west - I get warning when I'm travelling west, no warning travelling east (using "Warn only when on route"). It should be on the Eastbound carriageway, facing east to warn when travelling eastbound (towards London). Using Google Earth, I think a better location would be 51.527086, -2.033174, but most important is to turn it 180 degrees.
The newly entered Temp 21289 is located at the overbridge (which runs from Church Lane to Sodom Lane!). Unfortunately in that position it is masked by Mobile 7030. Could you relocate Temp 21289 to 51.53395, -2.00848? That's a little bit out, but will locate it BEFORE mobile7030. This will not be a problem as the temp camera is for 50mph and should take precedence over the mobile@70.
By the way, like you, I don't make mistakes. Instead, I get confused - you'll get to be the same at my age!!
Sorry to drag this on, but what's with the Specs on M25 at Jct17/18 and Jct25? Most of them didn't "warn me when on route", but I did see the POI icons on the map. I drove both directions today for Bishops Stortford.
Dennis
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks again Dennis, I'll pass this onto MikeB.

For information such as this, you can also use cameras@PocketGPSWorld.com for the update to go straight to MikeB.

It's our 'hotline' straight to his office. We've wired this email address with a loud boing to wake him up every now and again Smile Smile Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: