Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - graphics for bus lane cameras?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

graphics for bus lane cameras?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rousille
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: graphics for bus lane cameras? Reply with quote

plus where have the data for things such as these gone?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK there have never been any bus lane cameras on the pocketgpsworld database have there?
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct - we never had those. Doesn't seem to be in high demand either.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnboy290 wrote:
And why should they be highlighted since you shouldn't be in the bus lane to get your photo taken in the first place.

I agree - this has been debated before and concencous was that we dont need them. I suspect that we would reach the same conclusion about red light cameras if we were starting the database from scratch now.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure.....I find that I'm always on the look out to see whether or not the bus lane I'm near is 'open' or 'closed'...in other words some are all day, some rush hours, some Monday to Friday, some finish at 4pm and so on...at least a camera warning would probably mean 'keep out' or at least be very aware.
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be 'aware' anyway???
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnboy290 wrote:
And why should they be highlighted since you shouldn't be in the bus lane to get your photo taken in the first place.

And if you weren't speeding then you wouldn't need the speed camera database either... Rolling Eyes

The problem with bus lane cameras (in London at least) is that there is near blanket coverage of buslanes with cameras.

It would be nice to have a system that reminded you about buslanes from 7am-7pm, 7am-10am, 4pm-7pm etc so you wouldn't accidentally use one at the wrong time. Often you see an empty bus lane when it is not within it's hours of operation.

It seems that a lot of people just don't drive in bus lanes full stop which is probably not a bad strategy given the hefty fines and strict enforcement.
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupos0_1 wrote:
You should be 'aware' anyway???

Of course...I thought that was what I said, but after dark is it not quite so easy to tell if they are open or not..that's all I was saying.
Wannabyourhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surely no one can miss a bus lane and if at all unsure about whether they're open or closed then best to stay out of it until the next sign comes along. But red light cameras - while I can drive within the speed limits by choice the decision to stop or go when a traffic light changes is an instinctive call - wrong call could equal ticket so I always approach the things at a speed where I can stop regardless. Knowing there's not a red light camera means I can look where I'm going rather than watching the light waiting for it to change.
lotus49
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard not to notice a bus lane and grossly incompetent not to notice traffic lights but it's really not that hard to drive slightly faster than the speed limit inadvertantly.

I have voice warnings for some cameras, but I don't bother with the redlight cameras. If I run a red light, shame on me and I deserve what I get.

OTOH I freely admit that I deliberately break the speed limit under certain conditions, although not in town. I am all in favour of sensibly placed speed cameras (I'd love to see more outside schools, for example) but some are just there to raise money. Where there is no real road safety benefit I would probably be speeding under some conditions so a warning may be useful.

That said, I have never been caught by a speed camera warnings or no warnings and if it happens, I shall take my medicine without bleating about it - it would serve me right for not paying better attention.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re bus lanes, in London many of the buses are equipped to take pictures of cars in the lane in front of them so you also need an icon for moving buses! Also, in parts of London, such as Lambeth, the local authority use the anti-chav CCTVs to take pictures of vehicles in bus lanes, sitting on box junctions, turning at no turn signs, going the wrong way down one-way streets etc. It is part of a trial, but turning into a very profitable one. I doubt a warning for every CCTV in Lambeth would be much help to anyone as there must be nearly 50 in Clapham High Street for example. BTW, in Lambeth they also use CCTV for parking enforcement.
CalumLawson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, back to the question in hand...

To answer the original posters question without going into all of the merits or otherwise, Checkpoint has an overlay for Bus Lane cameras. This can either be syncronised from within the application, if you have it installed, or can be downloaded directly from http://poiplace.oabsoftware.nl/ (you have to register, but it's free)

Hope that helps with your request.

Calum

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: