Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman ICN530 Built In POI's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman ICN530 Built In POI's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
govman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Navman ICN530 Built In POI's Reply with quote

I have just bought a Navman ICN530 to use mainly on holiday in the UK in areas that we do not know. One reason for purchasing the Navman was their boast that " Building on the iCN 520’s features, the superslim new iCN 530 lets you find the nearest petrol station or car park at the touch of a button. So no more worries about wasting valuable shopping time hunting for that elusive parking spot." I did a local trial using the built in POI for an Asda filling station and the location the Navman gave me for the filling station is about 1 mile from the actual location. The route provided by the Navman would not have led me to the filling station. I drove to the Asda filling station in question and set a route using the Navman to the same Asda filling station and the route was 11.3 miles to the wrong location. I tried this on a few other local locations and each one was innaccurate. One local filling station was shown by the Navman to be in a residential Cul de Sac about a quarter mile from the actual location. This built in POI system obviously does not work and I have no confidence in using it whilst on holiday.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the POI data is supplied by TeleAtlas. You will more than likely find exactly the same errors in TomTom data, which is also TA.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Unfortunately, the POI data is supplied by TeleAtlas. You will more than likely find exactly the same errors in TomTom data, which is also TA.

To give a further, personal, example of errors in this mapping, I have a short B road of about 1/2 mile from my home before joining another road. This B road has instructions to 'Turn left; Turn left repeated about five times on a relatively straight road. On the return journey, I am told to take the third exit on a small roundabout which would take me into a housing estate and a dead end. If I had the knowhow, I would tell teleatlas - if they would show an interest.
However, like all mapping and directions, you have to use them sensibly and ignore them if they are obviously wrong Exclamation
govman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee - knowing that there are errors such as you mention, would you still say owning a Navman is worthwhile. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages ?
govman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention the other Navman ICN 530 gripe....it doesn't come with a mains charger. Essential I would say for this item.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

govman wrote:
I forgot to mention the other Navman ICN 530 gripe....it doesn't come with a mains charger. Essential I would say for this item.

Firstly, the sales literature for the iCN530 says, " Also included with the iCN530 are a sleek lightweight remote control, car charger and main power adaptor" The other specs are well in excess of what was provided for the 510 - such as street level european mapping, the remote control being two examples. At £299 it's a steal Exclamation And in due course I guess it will be discounted as bigger and better models appear.

As to your question, I would say that without doubt having this device in my car has saved me so much hassle that I would not be without it. The newspaper 'scare' stories of drivers going into impossible places by slavishly following the route given should not put you off. Like all gizmos you have to use some intelligence in firstly setting them up (prioities to motorways/urban roads/fastest/shortest etc) and then if you find yourself being told to drive over a cliff, ignore it.
The greatest attribute to me is to get me out of being lost in a big city in europe and asking it to take me to my destination. Great: worth every penny/dime/cent/kopek etc... Wink
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no Mains Power Adapter in the box, unfortunately. You do get full Euro maps and a remote for your £300, though.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
There is no Mains Power Adapter in the box, unfortunately. You do get full Euro maps and a remote for your £300, though.

Sorry if I misled anyone - just quoting from sales adverts Crying or Very sad Anyway, I lost/mislaid my mains charger for my 510 but bought for £4.95 + postage a 240/12v converter (It has a car ciggy plug input so you can just use the in car lead but plug it into the mains for the power source).
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
Tim Buxton wrote:

Sorry if I misled anyone - just quoting from sales adverts Crying or Very sad Anyway, I lost/mislaid my mains charger for my 510 but bought for £4.95 + postage a 240/12v converter (It has a car ciggy plug input so you can just use the in car lead but plug it into the mains for the power source).

You haven't misled anyone, Navman has. I still have the original Press Release and it clearly states "Also included with the iCN530 are a remote control, a car charger and mains adaptor".
govman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, Could you let me have the web address of the press release and I will take the matter up with Navman as I was expecting to get a mains adapter with my 530. Alternatively could you e-mail it to me.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the fourth paragraph under the heading Ultimate Performance here.
govman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim. I have e-mailed Navman to see what the little blimmers say. I'll keep you informed.
govman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rang Navman about the news item dated 30th.March and they said the inclusion of a mains adapter for the 530 was a mistake. They have now changed the web page in question but have agreed to send me a mains adapter.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

govman wrote:
I rang Navman about the news item dated 30th.March and they said the inclusion of a mains adapter for the 530 was a mistake. They have now changed the web page in question but have agreed to send me a mains adapter.

I still have a hard copy. 8)
imlost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thing on Sunday with POI's on my 520, was going to Cadbury World (worth a trip BTW) and chose the in built POI for it rather than the address.

Doris (as i've afectionally named her) got me all the way from Oldham to Birmingham and then dropped me 1/2 a mile away with the usual ( ** DESTINATION **) .

So WAP and yell.com had to save the day with the propper address Laughing Out Loud.

Never mind Laughing Out Loud

Geoff

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: