Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I have deserted TomTom at last
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I have deserted TomTom at last

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: I have deserted TomTom at last Reply with quote

Hi

Well after being with TomTom since Navigator 1, I have jumped ship. Up to now I have been using my PDA with TTN5, but decided to go to a dedicated Sat/Nav system. I had a look at the 510 but I thought it Bulky and I didn't like the mounting system. So I have bought a Nuvi 310. It may not have all the 'Bells and Whistles' that the 510 has, but it does the job and is neat and easy to drop in you pocket. The Dashboard mounting disc is superb. It stick on the dashboard, you then mount the Winscreen sucker onto the Dashboar mounting disc

I hope somebody will find this helpful.

David

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I have deserted TomTom at last Reply with quote

deesoft wrote:
Hi

Well after being with TomTom since Navigator 1, I have jumped ship. Up to now I have been using my PDA with TTN5, but decided to go to a dedicated Sat/Nav system. I had a look at the 510 but I thought it Bulky and I didn't like the mounting system. So I have bought a Nuvi 310. It may not have all the 'Bells and Whistles' that the 510 has, but it does the job and is neat and easy to drop in you pocket. The Dashboard mounting disc is superb. It stick on the dashboard, you then mount the Winscreen sucker onto the Dashboar mounting disc

I'm interested in how the two systems compare, particularly in terms of usability, navigation, and bluetooth handsfree if you have tried that.
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PatC

The Nuvi 310 is not as comprehensive as TTN5, for example teh number of Road Options (cant' exclude Motorways), not as many menu options, only 1 Via, You cannot turn POI's on or off.

Now for the 310, Bluetooth works great, The Screen is Superb, Speed Camera's are reported better than TTN5.

I hope this helps you in some way, I amglad I have bought it.

David

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Deesoft, I'm TomTom user since V1 and they have lost the plot, seriously considering the Nuvi 350 or StreetPilot 510D.

It would be nice to hear more real world comparisons of the two products
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deesoft wrote:
Now for the 310, Bluetooth works great, The Screen is Superb, Speed Camera's are reported better than TTN5.

I hope this helps you in some way, I amglad I have bought it.

It does help, thank you David. I understand that the nuvi speed camera warnings are linked to your current speed, rather than always announcing them. This seems a far better design to me. If I'm in slow moving traffic I can manage without the warnings.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatC wrote:
[quote=
It does help, thank you David. I understand that the nuvi speed camera warnings are linked to your current speed, rather than always announcing them. This seems a far better design to me. If I'm in slow moving traffic I can manage without the warnings.

How does it work with Spec (average) speed cameras? Could you drive past the first camera below the limit so without warning, then accelerate being unaware of the average zone only to be flashed by the final camera?
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the original point being made was that if your requirements are basic, there are better alternatives out there.
simkna
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to hear. I too have been using TT on PDA since V1. Looking to move to all-in-one system with bluetooth phone capability, so have been primarily looking at the TT910 and Nuvi 360.
I love the interface of the TT, but I just know the size means half the time I will leave it in the car if I'm out and about - not necessarily a good idea.
May have a punt at the Nuvi now it is appearing in stock - any further contributions / comparisons would be apprecitated.

Si.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: