Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTGo510 route distances
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTGo510 route distances

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nolongerlost
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: TTGo510 route distances Reply with quote

When you plan a route with the Go software, how does it estimate the time it will take you to navigate the route? Confused

Are there default speeds for each road type and if so, can these be altered by the user?

I ask this as whenever my Go calculates a route, if I have the Status Bar set up to show remaing time, it is always waaaaaay out, but obviously the distance is precise.

Can some settings in the software be changed to ensure a more accurate estimate of the journey time?
Maps: Western_Europe v905.4754
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tried an experiment and put a known route into Autoroute and got it to calculate the directions etc. It acme up with the same route and running time as my 910 does. So it does appear that the TTs take a default speed for each road type as the starting point for working out journey times. As far as I can see though, you can't change this except to maybe select 'limited speed' in the options, but all this will do is change the route to take account of your different max speed.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't change the settings (you can in some competitors products) - but I find the estimate is remarkably accurate on most long journeys with no big holdups. For example I drove from West London to Brighton yesterday evening, and it was right to within 2 minutes!

On average, I guess I can shave 5-10 minutes off its estimate over 100 miles

However on a short journey in the rush hour (ie my trip to work in South London) the time is laughably underestimated. Same trip at night, and its not too bad.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: TTGo510 route distances Reply with quote

Nolongerlost wrote:
When you plan a route with the Go software, how does it estimate the time it will take you to navigate the route?

Each section of road has a large amount data about that piece, including a time that it would take to travel it.

On long runs of Motorways and Dual Carriageways at 70mph, the setting appears to be about 62mph.

For 60mph single carriageways it seems about 50mph.

This is a generalisation, as there are numerous speed classifications that any section of road could come under.

Presumably this is to give some allowance to holdups. It is also better to arrive a little early than arrive late.

It then does a running calculation on the roads that still have to be travelled, to give a Real Time updated ETA.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: