Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Off topic (not GPS) but is about bikes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Off topic (not GPS) but is about bikes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kragbell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Off topic (not GPS) but is about bikes Reply with quote

I couldn't find a more general chat forum - hope the mods can be lenient.

Can anyone offer tips regards steam cleaning my bike. I have a fairly good steam generator and thought it'd be good for getting in the nooks and crannies of my Yamaha FZ6. I'm especially interested in steaming the residual cack from the chain if that's feasible. I don't know much about chain construction (the chain on my Yam is the factory fitted one) and am worried the steam will get into parts of the chain it ought not get into.

Any hints/tips/things to watch out for/dire warnings ????
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't steam clean the chain, you will probably get water past the O-rings and knacker the chain (or drastically shorten it's life). Stick the bike on the centre stand or paddock stand and put it in first gear with the engine running. Then clean the chain with a brush.

Actually I wouldn't steam clean any part of my bike unless I was selling it. Then again, my bike only gets cleaned two or three times a year - whether it needs it or not!

Probably the best way to get a clean chain is to buy a new one... Wink
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride magazine did a feature on this a while back. Said it was brilliant but to stay clear of areas where grease and oil could be pushed out (same as for jet wash cleaners) and to avoid stickers, plus to not linger over any one area for long.
V2RJO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: parrafin Reply with quote

Parafin is your friend here, has a slightly lubricating property as well as the ability to clean. I do the 1st gear engine running job with a soft nail brush to clear off the crud, spraying parafin on it as you scrub gently will get it gleaiming. I then wash the chain with mild car shampoo, I know this sounds crazy but a lot of on and off road teams do it as well. When the chain is clear of all the crud dry it fully with an old Tea towel (Don't tell the wife where all ours have gone). Lube with the normal stuff. Works a dream.

Please note chain lube on an O ring or similar chain only stops the outside going rusty, it doesn't strictly 'lube' the workings of the chain.

Both mu bikes are 1000cc twins that are renowned for thumping chains into submission, never had a problem with them. This is however a weekly routine but 15 minutes work compared to £100+ is an easy choice for me.

Roger.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: