Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 910 Killed in Fall, Did It Jump Or Was it Pushed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

910 Killed in Fall, Did It Jump Or Was it Pushed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: 910 Killed in Fall, Did It Jump Or Was it Pushed Reply with quote

TT910 Mount Killed my 910!!!

My mount has been on my windshild since I got the Unit Thursday Night.

Went out to the car at lunch today, (Sitting on the driveway in sunlight), to find no sign of my TomTom 910, after the initial panic I found it on the floor of the car,

Seems the sunlight had loosed the grip and off it dropped, (Never suffered this with a TT Mount before), and yes it was cleaned and secured well (Had been there 3 days)!

Anyway, TT910 Screen was , No visible crack but dark section at lower left side about the size of a 50p coin,

Figured I would try my luck so packed it all neatly in the box, took it back to PC World, explained I had opened it today as it was my first chance to install it and found the screen like it Embarassed

Anyway they swopped it out no problem, but I am not to keen on leaving the unit on the mount after this. Hope it was a fluke event

Cheers

Richard
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 910 Killed in Fall, Did It Jump Or Was it Pushed Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:
TT910 Mount Killed my 910!!!

My mount has been on my windshild since I got the Unit Thursday Night.

Richard

Congrats on screwing PC World over.

And how can you just leave the mount on the windscreen?! After all the copious amount of advice given here about not doing that?

I quote from the film 'Full Metal Jacket' - Gny. Sgt Hartman.
"Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: [after discovering Private Pyle's unlocked footlocker] Jesus H Christ. Private Pyle, why is your footlocker unlocked?

Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, I don't know, sir.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Private Pyle, if there is one thing in this world that I hate, it is an unlocked footlocker! You know that don't you?

Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, yes, sir.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: If it wasn't for dickheads like you, there wouldn't be any thievery in this world, would there? "

Says it all really.

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
fatmanscoop
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dito Laughing

Liverpool F.C rocks
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you feel that way

As for leaving the mount in the window I always do, thats what it was designed for,

When working I stop at least 50 times a day for 5mins a time whilst I have to leave the car, If I was to remove the unit and mount each time, I would be working till midnight,

The damn thing was designed to be left in the car, I leave all my kit in the car, unless I am away from it for 30mins or more, in some of the best and worst parts of Los Angeles and Las Vegas and all over the West Coast, and have never had a problem

In the UK on the other hand, I wouldn't leave it 30 seconds, sad fact really that the UK has gone that way (Maybe the reason I don't work in the UK anymore)..
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies :-
Didn't realise you were other side of the pond.

Is it customary for everyone to leave mounts in vehicles over
there then?

Currently in the uk leaving a mount means your highly likely to get
your window staved in at the least.

Is this a picture of the change? (In regard to crime?)

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I am Near Mansfield Notts at the moment,

I live in the UK work in the US.

The Car was left in my drive protected by a Wall Gate and a Wolf Husky Cross! Not even the Paperboy will come in (Shame really dog is daft as a brush!)

In the US there seems to be no real problem leaving stuff in car (For Short periods), I really dont know why, I just feel at ease with my kit in the car in the US, when in the UK I would be panicing!

There dont seem to be piles of broken glass in every car park over there!.

And I do work some rough areas at time!.

Cheers

Richard
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:
In the US there seems to be no real problem leaving stuff in car (For Short periods), I really dont know why, I just feel at ease with my kit in the car in the US, when in the UK I would be panicing!

Unfortunately, in the UK we get screwed for the highest prices for everything we can buy. It is no surprise that people who simply cannot afford the prices expected, take matters into their own hands, resulting in some hard-working individual suffering. On top of that, our justice system stinks so there is not the same fear of being caught committing crime here. In the UK for example a youth having stolen a car and making off from Police can expect to be fined about £200, whereas in the US he would probably go to prison for 5 years !

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:

Unfortunately, in the UK we get screwed for the highest prices for everything we can buy. It is no surprise that people who simply cannot afford the prices expected, take matters into their own hands, resulting in some hard-working individual suffering.

I don't believe that retail prices have any direct bearing on levels of theft from vehicles (or anywhere else).

999tommo wrote:

On top of that, our justice system stinks so there is not the same fear of being caught committing crime here. In the UK for example a youth having stolen a car and making off from Police can expect to be fined about £200, whereas in the US he would probably go to prison for 5 years !

Therein lies the prolem - an innefective policing and judicial system, pandering to the wishy-washy liberal brigade who continually whine about civil liberties and human rights. Still, it's comforting to know that if you have your SatNav stolen, the offender (if ever caught, which is very unlikely) will get a very stern police warning. Possibly even an ASBO for repeat offences.
plantman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: re: leaving tomtom in car Reply with quote

Hi all just a bit of info on leaving tt in car in US, I fitted car glass in Los Angeles for some time made a very good living thanks, just a matter of time till the right guy is walking by an wam it will be gone.

US just as bad as here, you have just been lucky up till now, my advice would be if you went to keep it take just the tt with + phone and anything you don't want gone when you return

Regards Plantman
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patc wrote:
an innefective policing and judicial system

Penalties dished out by the courts have got nothing to do with the Police and I can assure you that it infuriates us as much as it does Joe Public. The Police are merely a reporting agency.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
Patc wrote:
an innefective policing and judicial system

Penalties dished out by the courts have got nothing to do with the Police and I can assure you that it infuriates us as much as it does Joe Public.

Yes, I know. And by ineffective policing I was referring mainly to the funding, number of officers, and the obsession with statistics imposed on the Police by the government. I do value what the Police do, and this is one area where I would happily pay more income tax to fund more of them.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: re: leaving tomtom in car Reply with quote

plantman wrote:
Hi all just a bit of info on leaving tt in car in US, I fitted car glass in Los Angeles for some time made a very good living thanks, just a matter of time till the right guy is walking by an wam it will be gone.

US just as bad as here, you have just been lucky up till now, my advice would be if you went to keep it take just the tt with + phone and anything you don't want gone when you return

Regards Plantman

And also, fixing a suction cup to the windscreen is illegal in California, apparently. See here.
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And also, fixing a suction cup to the windscreen is illegal in California, apparently. See here.

Yes but you cannot be stopped for having it, only if you are already being stopped for another offense,

Like driving without a seatbelt in the US you cannot be stopped for just that, but if they stop you for Speeding for example and you are not wearing a seatbelt you will get a ticket for that as well!. So you will only fall foul of the law with a suction mount if you are pulled for an actual stoppable offense. I have had suction mounted PDA's then TomToms on my screen in CA since 98, and have never had a problem, even when I got stopped in January this year they didnt mention the TTOne I was using and it was mounted centre screen.

Just think how many Radar Detectors you see screen mounted in CA, I am not saying you will never get a ticket, but its not going to be the reason you get stopped!

Cheers

Richard
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the original post.

There are warnings in the manual somewhere about this (or at least there was with the 700).

Do NOT leave the TomTom mounted on the windshield overnight. This is not documented because of theft. This is about the temperature dropping causing the mount to loosen.

You should remount the TomTom at least once a day.

Jonathan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: