Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin I3 problem!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin I3 problem!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peloquin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Garmin I3 problem! Reply with quote

Hi

Just wanted to say how helpful this forum is!

I have a problem - my garmin i3 (firmware 3.0) sends me round the houses and back again before getting to my destination!

I went from wadhurst east sussex to hampshire last week, and it tried to send me a way which I know will take me far longer than just down the A21 on to the M25.

Is there anyway of stopping this?

If I back date to version 2.7 which I notice seems to be the preferred version, would this help?

Many thanks in advance for your support!
mk_graham
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your settings to ensure you have 'Faster Time' rather than 'Shorter Distance' selected:

Settings
Navigation
Route Preferences

Also check you don't have 'Avoid Highways' checked in Avoidances:

Settings
Avoidances

With these settings your i3 will be doing the best it can.

Also worth pointing out that there are some crazy people on this forum who swear that their i3 is learning their driving preferences, so it may be an idea to 'force' your i3 to follow you a particular way. Allegedly this clever little £100 unit will remember which way you went and take you that way next time. Rolling Eyes
---
TomTom Go 720 WE Maps (for sale)
---
iPhone with Sygic Mobile Maps (Europe) - having problems
mussey1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The i3 can sometimes really give some funny routes.

Earlier today was travelling to my destination along a 60mph 'A' road.

The i3 told me to 'turn left', I was a bit dubious, but decided to see where it would tale me!!

Ended up driving along a single track road that simply brought me out on the original road I had been travelling on anyway. It actually took me longer because I had to reduce speed to 40mph.

I had settings 'faster route' and 'avoid unpaved roads'.

I have to say the chosen i3 route was fairly pointless and actually made my jorney slower.

The i3 is fantastic if you are in urban areas, driving somewhere for the first time or are totally lost, but if you already know the routes it can make some pretty weird decisions, especially in rural locations!!

I know thi i3 is a 'budget' machine but I undersatnd the software is more or less the same as that in the more expesive units. As 'A' roads are clearly labelled on the Navteq maps, I don't undertand why the unit cannot be programmed to stay only on A or B roads etc. and only to use back roads as detours or if no other option is possible.

Mussey1.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Occasionally - but on several occasions - I've had my i3 take my on some very spurious routes.

I'm not talking about simply taking alternates in very close or similar routes, but actually do some wierdness in routing - ie take me off a main road, to route my back on not that far further on - or on one occasion, attempt to take me in a big circle - I recognised it the second time around, and forced it to recalculate when I rejected it's stupidity.

I suspect there's been routing issues with the i3 - which I've commented on previously. But also, there's been clear malfunctions that have occurred in routing, too - which aren't merely one-offs.

Whether any of this has been addressed with some of the firmware comments, I'm not sure. I have found, though, that 3.20 (can't remember if it was the same with 3.10) has been entirely more consistent with routes, and less likely to flip-flop between alternates.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are routing issues with EACH AND EVERY satnav system. I have used many different GPS devices and I defy anyone to tell me of a device that has completely perfect routing and mapping. The Garmins I have used (including the i3) are usually the best os all makes when it comes to mapping and routing but people keep forgetting that these things are no more intelligent than the software running them (which can never be perfect) and that drivers should always use their brains as well as their GPSs. Despite the imperfections, it will almost always take you to your destination. So please, spare us all the "Gamin has a problem with routing".
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under Settings, Navigation, Vehicle choose Truck and you will find that the i3 will tend to avoid very narrow roads
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
There are routing issues with EACH AND EVERY satnav system. I have used many different GPS devices and I defy anyone to tell me of a device that has completely perfect routing and mapping.

Non sequitur - I bought a retail product, at a good retail price, and don't expect to hear excuses about how it performs it's core functions.

Almahadeus wrote:
The Garmins I have used (including the i3) are usually the best os all makes when it comes to mapping and routing but people keep forgetting that these things are no more intelligent than the software running them (which can never be perfect) and that drivers should always use their brains as well as their GPSs. Despite the imperfections, it will almost always take you to your destination. So please, spare us all the "Gamin has a problem with routing".

I won't spare you anything - because quite patently it does / did have problems with routing! Their (Garmins') own comments on firmware revisions even comment as such - sheesh.

And furthermore, I wasn't simply pointing out oddities in routing - ie an odd choice of route - nor was what I'm inferring from other comments - on occasion - but more than one occasion - people have found the i3 has actually sent them on wild goose chases, as opposed to merely an obscure route that they would never have chosen personally.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
Under Settings, Navigation, Vehicle choose Truck and you will find that the i3 will tend to avoid very narrow roads
Robin

I don't believe that to be the case, for two reasons:-

a) comments in this forum, quoting Garmin representatives have stated that the vehicle choice is simply used to improve the accuracy of timings over routes, as opposed to some factor used within the routing algorithm.

b) I'm not convinced that the categorising of roads in the maps uses quite that sort of criteria.

To support this, there's been plenty of tales in the media of coaches or trucks being routed down some really obscure track and ending up in fields or that sort of thing.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:

a) comments in this forum, quoting Garmin representatives have stated that the vehicle choice is simply used to improve the accuracy of timings over routes, as opposed to some factor used within the routing algorithm.

b) I'm not convinced that the categorising of roads in the maps uses quite that sort of criteria.

Not true! If I plan a route from here to my doctor's surgery on the Gower, it goes via some very narrow, semi-paved roads. If I enter Truck it sticks to major roads, slightly longer but much quicker.

Robin
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
Non sequitur - I bought a retail product, at a good retail price, and don't expect to hear excuses about how it performs it's core functions.

It DOES perform its core function extremely well. If yours doesn't then you can sell it on eBay after a year of using it for a profit.

Lester_Burnham wrote:
I won't spare you anything - because quite patently it does / did have problems with routing! Their (Garmins') own comments on firmware revisions even comment as such - sheesh.

I clearly said that it does have problems like ANY OTHER SATNAV does. At least Garmin admits to this and try and work on a solution.

Lester_Burnham wrote:
the i3 has actually sent them on wild goose chases, as opposed to merely an obscure route that they would never have chosen personally.

Going on a wild goose chase once in a thousand trips is much better than never getting to your destination when you have no clue on where you are. Also thousands of people on these forums and elsewhere have stated that the i3 was the best thing they've spent money on EVER.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:

It DOES perform its core function extremely well. If yours doesn't then you can sell it on eBay after a year of using it for a profit.

Hang on, here - myself and others have pointed out routing issues, Garmin have accepted and attempted to fix these issues in firmware. These are issues with core functionality.

As to selling it to make a profit, I was an early adopter and bought mine for £199.

Almahadeus wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:

I clearly said that it does have problems like ANY OTHER SATNAV does.

I don't truly care about other sat navs - I didn't buy any of those. I bought a retail product from Garmin.

Almahadeus wrote:
At least Garmin admits to this and try and work on a solution.

The first admittal I've seen has been comments in the latest firmware version. I had an extrapolated support call with Garmin, and they didn't admit or accept anything at the time. Nor have I heard anybody posting here that Garmin have admitted or accepted any such problems when they raised them individually with Garmin - just a brief, unexpected comment in the current version's release notes.

Almahadeus wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
the i3 has actually sent them on wild goose chases, as opposed to merely an obscure route that they would never have chosen personally.

Going on a wild goose chase once in a thousand trips is much better than never getting to your destination when you have no clue on where you are.

Being sent on a wild goose chase from a consumer sat nav never seems acceptable to me. YMMV.

Almahadeus wrote:
Also thousands of people on these forums and elsewhere have stated that the i3 was the best thing they've spent money on EVER.

Thousands of people have said this? I suspect something of an exaggeration.

Yes, plenty of people have expressed happiness with the i3 - and as a generalism, I'd agree.

However, numerous people have been unhappy - both here and elsewhere - and have raised issues with it's core functionality.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:

Not true! If I plan a route from here to my doctor's surgery on the Gower, it goes via some very narrow, semi-paved roads. If I enter Truck it sticks to major roads, slightly longer but much quicker.

Robin

Are you actually talking about the i3 - 'cos your sig list doesn't include one.

And the account - reputedly by Garmin - doesn't agree with your supposition. You could just be experiencing routing anomalies.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
However, numerous people have been unhappy - both here and elsewhere - and have raised issues with it's core functionality.

And you've only got to read the firmware thread - and look at some of the comments in peoples' sigs "looks like it's finally fixed" for example. And usage of 3.20 looks like it isn't finally fixed.

As to whether Garmin are doing their best or are being frank and open, I'm not convinced. They denied any routing issues to me, during extended email conversations regarding a support call I raised. I also have read similar accounts in here from others. Then some time later, their latest firmware version lists this as something fixed.

Perhaps it's only admitted or declared, when they've actually found and included something they think can fix it.

Even considering the "sweet spot" in firmware for version 2.70, doesn't appear to be the panacea. Because anecdotal accounts, here, point out that instablility problems introduced by later firmware versions, don't appear to go, when reverting to 2.70.

As to such stability problems, I had a number of freezes / crashes over the weekend running v3.20, all very soon after powering-on, either when just starting route calculation, or before getting a chance to.

Unit stability is core functionality, too.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
Robin2 wrote:

Robin

And the account - reputedly by Garmin - doesn't agree with your supposition. You could just be experiencing routing anomalies.

Yes, the i3 belongs to my wife!! And the behaviour I reported above is absolutely reproducible.

Robin
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
Robin2 wrote:

Robin

Yes, the i3 belongs to my wife!! And the behaviour I reported above is absolutely reproducible.

Robin

When I can find it, then, I'll dig up the forum posting reference the Garmin chap and his statements. Might be worth forwarding your comments to him, to see if he wants to revise his statement, and see if there's any truth there.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: