Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - StreetPilot i3 software version 3.00
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

StreetPilot i3 software version 3.00
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devon-surfer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihave now put beta 2.82 on mine, following in the footsteps of matb. Fe up with the time it takes for the screen to refresh etc on version 2.9
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morning all,

I have decided to install beta 2.8 from the downloads in Matb`s sticky also. I found the other day whilst using ver 3.0 that the voice commands were comming much too early when navigating which resulted in my taking a left or right turn before the one the i3 wanted me to take, resulting in gladys shouting re-calculating and then that I had reached my destination on the left when there was nothing there, the house was on the right . So we shall give it a go, if it `s no good will revert back to ver 2.7 but going by the oracles on these boards most seem to stick with ver 2.8 beta.

Regards.....Dil

PerseusTheseus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Garmin i3 Reply with quote

I still cant get my head around why there are so many people having problems with the i3

My unit is fairly new and came with version 2.9 F/w 2.0 Audio & V8 maps

I have uploaded version 3.0 F/w , Speed cam database and around 50k POI's

when not navigating a have it in map mode
when navigating i have it in 3d mode

On cold startup it takes around 30 seconds to find satalites

It has never locked up or frozen

It has never let me down yet

As this is the only unit type i have ever owned i seriously doubt i will ever have another unit :D

PerseusTheseus
Coaster2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now using 2.8 and have no problems at all.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin i3 Reply with quote

PerseusTheseus wrote:
I still cant get my head around why there are so many people having problems with the i3.

Because quite patently, there are some software problems with the later versions of firmware.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coaster2 wrote:

2.8?

Didn't know that was released.

Do you mean the beta version 2.82?
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apolagies, have now installed ver 2.82 beta ( to be more specific )

Regards....Dil
PerseusTheseus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin i3 Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
PerseusTheseus wrote:
I still cant get my head around why there are so many people having problems with the i3.

Because quite patently, there are some software problems with the later versions of firmware.

Well then, wouldnt those problems be corrected with an upload of the newer firmware versions, Looking at this thread it certainly isnt the case.

PerseusTheseus
Coaster2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
Coaster2 wrote:

2.8?

Didn't know that was released.

Do you mean the beta version 2.82?

Sorry, missed the two off.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin i3 Reply with quote

PerseusTheseus wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
PerseusTheseus wrote:

Well then, wouldnt those problems be corrected with an upload of the newer firmware versions, Looking at this thread it certainly isnt the case.

PerseusTheseus

??? Haven't you just contradicted yourself with that paragraph?

And have you actually fully read the threads on this?

v2.70 was actually generally well received - no obvious issues.

However, the beta 2.82 introduced some improvements that some benefitted from, and did introduce a minor bug, that was corrected with v2.90.

However, v2.90 also seemed to introduce a whole deal of stability problems. As did v3.00.

So options are:-

1. Live with it.
2. Revert to v2.70, and live without the improvements - for some that's actually a benefit.
3. Revert to 2.82 as it had some benefits, and only a minor downside (custom POIs not categorised, so only 50 near your current location).

Your tone in reply to this thread, almost sounds like people have courted stability issues. However, it can tend to be a balance between wanting some improvements in later firmware, and in the case of 2.90 and 3.00 living with compromises to the unit's stability and performance.
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin i3 Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
PerseusTheseus wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
PerseusTheseus wrote:

PerseusTheseus

??? Haven't you just contradicted yourself with that paragraph?

And have you actually fully read the threads on this?

v2.70 was actually generally well received - no obvious issues.

However, the beta 2.82 introduced some improvements that some benefitted from, and did introduce a minor bug, that was corrected with v2.90.

However, v2.90 also seemed to introduce a whole deal of stability problems. As did v3.00.

So options are:-

1. Live with it.
2. Revert to v2.70, and live without the improvements - for some that's actually a benefit.
3. Revert to 2.82 as it had some benefits, and only a minor downside (custom POIs not categorised, so only 50 near your current location).

Your tone in reply to this thread, almost sounds like people have courted stability issues. However, it can tend to be a balance between wanting some improvements in later firmware, and in the case of 2.90 and 3.00 living with compromises to the unit's stability and performance.
Lester. Surely an upgrade should be just that, a move up, not a move where something is improved at the cost of the main function of the device... I can install FW3 wich should be the best FW and my i3 will now speak fluent Outer Mongolian (obviously a major benefit) but on the downside it now produces rubish routes, does not update the screen correctly and crashes at random. I would not call these comprimises, more screw ups!
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin i3 Reply with quote

trevf wrote:
Lester. Surely an upgrade should be just that, a move up, not a move where something is improved at the cost of the main function of the device...

(shrug) like I care...

I'm not defending Garmin, or each version of the firmware.

I've merely pointed out why people are using various versions, and pointing out that the numbers of feedback, here, for versions 2.90 and 3.00 do point to their actually being true software issues with these versions, and not something merely in the minds of the complaining users.

trevf wrote:
I can install FW3 wich should be the best FW and my i3 will now speak fluent Outer Mongolian (obviously a major benefit) but on the downside it now produces rubish routes, does not update the screen correctly and crashes at random. I would not call these comprimises, more screw ups!

And?

I'm not defending the versions, or that they should be improvements. Merely why people may be using them. FWIW, I'm using v3.00 and am far from happy with it. In recent times, I'd say I found 2.82 the version I was most happy with. However, the stability, freezing and update issues I've had since, have been true faults, just not so inconvenient that I've been that bothered about reverting to 2.82 or 2.70.

That there are faults with them, and this is not merely figments of users' imaginations was my point in contributing to this thread.
PerseusTheseus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin i3 Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
trevf wrote:
Lester. Surely an upgrade should be just that, a move up, not a move where something is improved at the cost of the main function of the device...

(shrug) like I care...

I'm not defending Garmin, or each version of the firmware.

I've merely pointed out why people are using various versions, and pointing out that the numbers of feedback, here, for versions 2.90 and 3.00 do point to their actually being true software issues with these versions, and not something merely in the minds of the complaining users.

trevf wrote:
I can install FW3 wich should be the best FW and my i3 will now speak fluent Outer Mongolian (obviously a major benefit) but on the downside it now produces rubish routes, does not update the screen correctly and crashes at random. I would not call these comprimises, more screw ups!

And?

I'm not defending the versions, or that they should be improvements. Merely why people may be using them. FWIW, I'm using v3.00 and am far from happy with it. In recent times, I'd say I found 2.82 the version I was most happy with. However, the stability, freezing and update issues I've had since, have been true faults, just not so inconvenient that I've been that bothered about reverting to 2.82 or 2.70.

That there are faults with them, and this is not merely figments of users' imaginations was my point in contributing to this thread.
PerseusTheseus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Garmin i3 Reply with quote

I was wondering weither these faults that you all seem to be experiencing could be down to "older units" (hardware)

Glitches in newer sofware could make these faults more apparent

My best friend has jumped on the i3 bandwaggon since spotting mine in my car, I have uploaded the v3.0 f/w and custom POI's for him and as of yet he has had no problems or experienced any faults which you seem to mention.

Has any one who has bought a brand new i3 within the past month experianced any problems with Units that have had v2.9 or 3.0 already preinstalled ?
Coaster2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coaster2 wrote:

My mistake. Screen froze twice today, once in Nav mode and once in map mode. Back to 2.7 again. Crying or Very sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: