Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - StreetPilot i3 software version 3.00
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

StreetPilot i3 software version 3.00
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scoobydooby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoHome wrote:
Anyway I went to the garmin site tonight to see what they had fixed and saw this ......* StreetPilot i3 Ver. 3.00 as of Apr 21, 2006 Download.

So how long as the software upgrade been on the Garmin site?

Yesterday it went on the website, one can only hope that they had an army of beta testers from the 21st until yesterday, hopefully ironing out the 2.90 niggles, time will tell.

Scoobs

I'd be lost without it !!
paulhgc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjbsec wrote:
Sad Still have to select Country before starting off - should be a "Settings" option IMO!

yep i agree 110%
paulhgc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s im to scared to try out version 3.0
porky48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally if it ant broke don't fix it, version 2.70 work perfectly so why upgrade, have fun folks.
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems odd that Garmin have only made a minor tweak but issued the new firmware as a new version. In my limited exposure to software, minor modifications are made to a particular version i.e. 2.70 to 2.90 etc which may be bug fixes or enhancements to existing features.

A new number is issued when ther has been a complete re-write with new features or facilities. Just take a look at the way Microsoft increments it's software and you will see what I mean.

Just fixing a bug with the language would not warrant a new version number !!!
ceagle_21
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone send or post a link to this new version?

Just for the record I'm using Ver 2.90 and have had no problems apart from a few seconds of white screen which reverts back to the map after a few seconds. I have Ver 8.0 maps and audio 2.40.

Sometimes I think people expect too much for there £. This unit is a low end/entry level GPS device and as such should not be expected to jump through hoops. It does what it says on the tin.

I'm fed up with people moaning it doesn't do this and it doesn't do that. If you wanted a unit that does the lot pay the extra £200.
acefreecell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they went for ver 3.0 since as it was pointed out to me that you can not go to 2.10 so how do you get to .ten??

To late to upgrade now, so will try tomorrow night.

Feed back at the weekend after a couple of trips.

Good idea to post in new feed MaFt, now we can see how 2.9 compares to 3.0 oh and back to 2.7 when it all goes pear shaped......

Motorola Defy with CamerAlert, NDrive 11, Co-Pilot Live and Google Maps

formally Garmin i3, Nuvi 200 and Origin BlueI
(Origin for sale)
Scoobydooby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceagle_21 wrote:
Can anyone send or post a link to this new version?

http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00434-00

ceagle_21 wrote:
Sometimes I think people expect too much for there £. This unit is a low end/entry level GPS device and as such should not be expected to jump through hoops. It does what it says on the tin.

I'm fed up with people moaning it doesn't do this and it doesn't do that. If you wanted a unit that does the lot pay the extra £200.

Oh dear, dont let Lester hear you say that Wink

Scoobs

I'd be lost without it !!
rjbsec
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceagle_21 wrote:

Probably true, but it would make the forum a less interesting place for i3 owners.
However various comments about the user-convenience of the unit, the screen freezing and loss of areas of the map are extremely valid IMO - they are faults after all.
With all of the reports going to Garmin from members of this forum re: 2.82 and 2.90 you would have thought that some would have made their way into the latest upgrade.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It's not about extra features and a unit that "does the lot", but about one that does the job it's supposed to without locking up and / or white screening.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acefreecell wrote:
Good idea to post in new feed MaFt, now we can see how 2.9 compares to 3.0 oh and back to 2.7 when it all goes pear shaped......

it weren't me fella! but yeah, it IS a good idea!!

as for the numbering i'd have thought this would become v2.91 seeing as it is only a minor change... then again companies will number them how they want! so long as the biggest number is the most recent then it's not really that important!

MaFt
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoobydooby wrote:
ceagle_21 wrote:

Scoobs

What's it gotta do with me?

For what it's worth, I'm quite unsure as to what this guy is on about - where is all this supposed moaning about what it doesn't do?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoobydooby wrote:

Scoobs

scoobs, can we have less of the personal baiting please.

cheers

MaFt
BERT_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone using 3.0 comment on if any amendments have been made to the "improved" notifications?

E.g. Version 2.7 would give you notice about a left hand turn coming up and then finally prompt you to turn left when you were pretty much on the left turn. Version 2.9's final turn left prompt could be upto 0.2 miles before the turn leaving you to guess from the screen which left hand turn you were meant to take if there were several.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylegs wrote:
Everyones so quick to upgrade to the newest firmware when there equipment is running fine....

Thing is, though, for some people it's not running fine - either that, or the newer version has offered people something they thought worthwhile to upgrade to.

Such as full postcode usage, or the not having to put a space in the input postcode - which may sound trivial, but given the interface used, may make a difference for somebody. Or the timing of the voice prompts.

crazylegs wrote:
Every single firmware update that Garmin have released has had its fair share of bugs, and in sorting out one bug for one version have normally created another for themselves to overcome later on down the road..

Which is fair comment - but without the evolution of firmware, nothing will ever likely get improved or developed, and without people adopting, this will never get that much testing or feedback to improve their product.

crazylegs wrote:
I'm still on firmware version 2.5 and have been since the beginning, (MaFt will probably back me up on that) and i have none of the problems that are talked about regularly in these forums over months now..

So you are happy, and everything is peachy for you.

Why do you care, then? How are you negatively affected?

For other people who are happy to be early adopters, and perhaps influence the improvement of the i3's firmware, then they help along the process.

All the time, it's still completely possible to go back to a previous (perhaps considered stable) firmware revision, and use easygps to ensure that no favourites are lost - by backing up, and restoring after reverting.

crazylegs wrote:
Moral is if it ain't broke leave it alone...

...and it'll never improve - which I can accept may be just dandy for you.

...and it'll never get fixed - for those that find there are flaws with the i3's performance that need addressing.

crazylegs wrote:
These units were as cheap as chips and designed for getting from a-b without having to get the maps out and start arguing with the other half, forget the latest and greatest and revert back to a previous version that you know you had no problems with, and enjoy.... :D

The only problem I have with that, is from the outset (v 2.50) my i3 wasn't proving totally reliable for getting from a to b (in a manner inspiring confidence) and has caused arguing within the family, actually regarding whether it should be used and trusted.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: