Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT910 UK Users First Impressions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT910 UK Users First Impressions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, Take the unit out of the box, read the instructions (its only about 30 pages of the thick book - loads of countries supported) - get it in the car and give it a try, the text to speach for road names is great, as it is for the warning voices, load up mp3's of your choice and its a car juke box, with hands free mobile phone, and full control of the audio routing to the car system or inbuilt speaker, add to this little list the TMC reciever support (when it arrives - hint hint) and you have a very comprehensive device. - Mike
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Mike.
I love mine to bits.
By far the best out there I think.

CeeJay.
hutchys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike I just might do that. One more thing could you tell me please what is TMC? (this may be a dumb question)
Thanks Jim
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TMC is "Traffic Message Coding" via a suitable reciever you can obtain traffic conjestion and the navigation device will (if set to) auto navigate around delays above a preset amount, the big plus point to TMC over the Traffic subscription is that the signal is sent over normal radio wave, therefore you avoid the costly GPRS (mobile internet) connection/ downloading taffifs - Mike
MaxWild
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Just exchanged my 910 at Dixons, which was crashing when using the Home 'My Go 910' application - now works perfectly so I can definately confirm it is the unit at fault.
sooty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a user of TomTom on the PDA since V1 and for the past 18 months or so I have used the mobile version on both an SPV C500 and C600.

I travel to the US and a few other European countries quite frequently so I took the plunge and bought the 910.

I have had it just over a week and overall I am pleased with it. I particularly like the text to speech function.

I do have a couple of gripes though:-

The mounting mechanism where the car dock fits into the back of the GO looks and feels to me like it won’t last. It’s fiddly to use and mine doesn’t make good contact when it’s inserted and locked in place. If I tilt the GO up slightly when it’s in the car dock the contact is broken and the Go shuts down.

The screen is not all that good in bright sunlight, no where near as good as my Ipaq HX4700 screen.

Finally, although a personal thing, I would like to have seen a trip computer function added to the software, odometer, max/min/average speed etc and a facility to record journeys as was available in previous PDA versions.

Overall, a reasonably happy bunny.
eddie_vincent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re the screen mount - I had problems with this the first time I used it but I had not secured the 910 to the mount properly - it is really 2 clicks. When the mount wheel(?) is then rotated to the 2nd position, it is then pretty secure.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep no problems with the mount now i have got used to it, probably remove it and connect it 10 times a day and once you get the hang of it works a treat.

Regards

Peter
jean
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had mine a couple of days now and after a few little setbacks at the start, I am more than happy with it.
We travel to the States twice a year and visit Spain and Germany so the maps were a big influence in my decision.
Would recommend it to anyone.
hutchys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did as you said Mike and it is very good, but I have nothing to compare it with. I have a couple of questions if I may
1. I have back up the original software, but I was wondering if I should back it up again after downloading the speed camera's and your nice icon's you sent? This way I have a back up with the up to date software from this site in case it goes pear shaped.
2. If this is the case how often should this be done? and finally when the camera database is upgraded and this is downloaded does this just copy straight over the old files and leave your voice warnings in place, or do you have to re set these every time?
Jim
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would only back up the device after a signinficant amount of data has been loaded onto the device, mp3's, AudioBooks etc this way you can recover everything in one go, but I wouldn't bother with a second back-up of just the Speed Cameras, you will still have the download on the PC so its easy to recover.
When you upgrade the Speed Camera database simply copy accross to the device the files with the .OV2 file extensions and nothing will change all your settings will remain correct.
Mike
MKLightning
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my 910 for a week (my first Sat Nav). Thankfully, I don't think I have had some of the problems that others have experienced with the mount. However, I have not been able to use the mount with the power connector hooked up to the power connector in the car since my 12 Volt connector is my the handbrake on the centre consol, which makes for some pretty interesting cable routing. So I have to rely on the internal battery. I don't really like wires all over the place anyway.

That brings me on to the point of hooking up the 910 to the car stereo. My stereo is not bluetooth nor does it have an input jack. I take it you could use one of those cassette adaptors, since my stereo still has cassette, although never used. However, if you can use a cassette adaptor, is there such a thing as a bluetooth cassette adaptor so we wouldn't have to have another wire trailing all over the place. I can just imagine a Tom Tom with power cord, stereo cord, TMC receiver and external anttenna Wink

Thanks for a great site :D
eddie_vincent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried a Belkin cassette adaptor with my iPod but the quality was appalling - you could hear the cassette motor noise all the time interfering with the audio. Other people may have different experiences.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hutchys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone managed to set up the I-Pod control on the TT910. If you have if you could tell me how you did it please. On mine it ask to connect the I-Pod to continue but it does nothing once this is done!
Jim
bond007
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,
Can anyone tell me how accuarte the route navgation is interms of estimated journey time. For example, does the arrival time adjust automatically according to the speed you are doing? On my last TTGO, if I had only 1 mile to go, my TTGO used to say something like 6 mins to get there, eventhough I knew it would take 2 mins. Also, what are peoples impression on the 'updated' maps?
thx

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: