Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Usless TT Traffic service
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Usless TT Traffic service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bloxy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Usless TT Traffic service Reply with quote

Sunday 26/2/06 I plan to travel to Birmingham via the M54 M6, before leaving home I set my route and check traffic to see if the motorway is clear.
Traffic reports no incidents on route and continues to do so on updates. At 1:10 near the end of the M54 I hit stationary traffic, TT Traffic still says no incidents. I sat there for 2.5 hours and TT traffic insisted there were no incidents on route despite the M6 being completely closed! How usseles is this for a subscription service?

Just to compound things it reported no incidents and gave a green light for my return journey despite there being miles of crawling traffic going north bound.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtom use itis to provide data for traffic which the same though I have to admit the service does need a real kick up the backside on weekends the data seans to inconsistent either very good or very bad I've put it down to whether the a good shift or bad shift is in putting data in to the system. like most companies itis most likely scale bad to a skeleton shift on saturday and sunday I know it no excuse but that's the way it is

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
tomtom use itis to provide data for traffic which the same though I have to admit the service does need a real kick up the backside on weekends the data seans to inconsistent either very good or very bad I've put it down to whether the a good shift or bad shift is in putting data in to the system. like most companies itis most likely scale bad to a skeleton shift on saturday and sunday I know it no excuse but that's the way it is

alix776 - this really wouldn't surprise me Laughing

You'd think with the massive increase in sat nav sales in this country ITIS would have the business sense to cash in on this opportunity!!

In the meantime we suffer from rubbish data and a rubbish service - no wonder the majority of people won't pay for it.

Chris
greenock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's saved me a few bob. I've just taken the plunge into satnav with a Tom Tom One and was considering the traffic reports. Think I'll wait till I hear they've sorted their lives out.

Cheers!
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenock wrote:
Well that's saved me a few bob. I've just taken the plunge into satnav with a Tom Tom One and was considering the traffic reports. Think I'll wait till I hear they've sorted their lives out.

Cheers!

Better still TomTom have released RDS TMC units for the new x10 range I would wait and see how these perform.

Not sure if there will be a unit for the One.............

Chris
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_w wrote:
Better still TomTom have released RDS TMC units for the new x10 range I would wait and see how these perform.

But if you read other boards in here, that may not be up to much either - and despite reports, it may not be a free service. I think the jury is still out on whether it will or not.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyTrucker wrote:
chris_w wrote:

But if you read other boards in here, that may not be up to much either - and despite reports, it may not be a free service. I think the jury is still out on whether it will or not.

Hi HappyTrucker,

Firstly if TT follow the usual route for licensing RDS TMC units the ITIS licence cost will be bundled in the cost for the unit, it's one off and not subscription - there should be no further costs for using RDS TMC.

I will be very surprised if TT deviate from this as it would not make their RDS TMC offering very competitive or attractive over other units with this functionality.

Secondly I already own an RDS TMC unit (see signature).... and I agree results are mixed. Reception can be poor, it regularly logs onto the wrong station and it's more wires over the dashboard.

As stated above I would wait to see how these perform before parting with any cash.

IMHO owning and using both an RDS and a GPRS based TMC service I prefer GPRS and I have found it far more reliable for data retreival.

Hope this helps.

Chris
stuart_rayner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that there are other GPRS based services available, such as TrafficTV. Does anyone know if it is possible to set this up on the tomtom ONE?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you cannot use traffic TV with a tomtom product, with the one you can only use GPRS- Mike
stuart_rayner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame you cant use 3rd party providers, although I guess thats good business sense on tomtoms part.

Im only interested in GPRS traffic, as had a frustrating time (to put it mildly) with RDS-TMC on my Garmin.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: