Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Don't leave your mount in your car!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Don't leave your mount in your car!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pommie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Don't leave your mount in your car! Reply with quote

My car got broken into last week at 4 a.m.. The boy in blue who turned up just said "Tom Tom?" rather weraily as he walked up to the car and then nodded at the mount that I had left on my window. As he pointed out the presence of the mount made it worth them checking the glove box and they weren't too polite about how they went about it. I had to get a the window replaced and have a damaged door pillar - all so some scumbag coud find out that I was not daft enough to leave the actual unit in the car Twisted Evil

6 other cars got done near me the same night for the same reason (visible mounts left in the car).

I used to leave it in the car as I found it hard to pull the mount off even after releasing the pressure lever, but I now lever mine off with a loyalty card every time I leave the car (and on the policemans advice, wipe off the residual circular mark with a cloth).

A pain but we learn by our mistakes I suppose.

J
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sickening really.

However I do feel that TomTom should be making this basic information (Re:Leaving Mounts ect ect) with the units shipped as it seems that you either stumble accross this site or others like it...... or find out the hard way.

I'm sorry you found out the hard way Sad

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
nazimyounis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear ur car got broken into mate....

cut their hands off robbing Bast&*ds

ex - TOMTOM Nokia N95
ex - TOMTOM GO 700
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 5 on XDA IIi
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 3 on XDA II
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 3 on XDA
eddie_vincent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote from the new (510, 710, 910) GO Quick Start Guide -

Everyone Loves TomTom GO

So never leave your GO in your car when you're not using it - it's an easy target for thieves.

Well we won't any more.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eddie_vincent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, left out the next para -

Always take your GO, the windshield mount and the car charger with you; don't leave any TomTom products visible to others.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm well having never had a car broken into in my life I had a blond weekend when I 1st got my 300, lasted about 48hours before the window got put through.
Didn't occour to me to remove the 300 let alone the mount aswell.
Amazed it lasted so long.

However I was left thinking that as the Satnav systems are "Recievers" why can't they recieve a kill signal like Mobile Phones?
After all once the rubbish out there realises that once stolen they are dead forever, then like mobiles they would be left alone in cars.

You have to wonder about Tomtom and others motives in not having a disabling system??
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent..

At least the message is getting shipped with the products.

Hopefully the theft's will die down.... and we can get to a point
where cradles can be left? I can live in hope.

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR_TiGGer wrote:
However I was left thinking that as the Satnav systems are "Recievers" why can't they recieve a kill signal like Mobile Phones?
Welcome to the forums, Nice thought to be able to "Kill" a stolen device, but the TomTom units only receive satalite signals, the GPS sats cannot issue a kill device command.

The only way to avoid this is take the unit out of the vehicle, my preferance is to use TomTom on the mobile phone type devices.

You never leave a mobile in the car unattended, even for a fuel stop - so treat the sat nav the same - Mike
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, so sorry to hear about the theft problems that people have been having. Since my views on law and order are somewhat to the right of Attilla the Hun, perhaps my 'solution' is best not aired....javascript:emoticon('Gun Shoot Out')

In the meantime, having just acquired a TT1, when I remove the unit I'm going to put a piece of card in the holder with the words 'NEVER left in the vehicle!' - and hope the scrotes can read and move on. Obviously, in dodgy areas, the mount will be removed as well.

I totally agree that the Sat Nav manufacturers need to move very fast to produce - and publicise the fact - units that are PIN protected AND well enough so that there isn't any possibility of a backstreet industry in unlocking them (old enough to remember the early days of coded radios?) Gun Shoot Out
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
MR_TiGGer wrote:
Welcome to the forums, Nice thought to be able to "Kill" a stolen device, but the TomTom units only receive satalite signals, the GPS sats cannot issue a kill device command.

In this modern age of technology there must be other ways of sending a signal to a Satnav, after all how many of us have mobiles.
Makes sense not to use military satalites but these companies must spend a couple of quid on R&D there must be some way of getting one simple code sent by Seriel number.
And yes a pin code would just raise money for dodgy geezers in the unlocking market.

I'm just cross and a TT300 out of pocket.
But the TT1 is so much better than the 300, and not just fitting in the pocket Wink
cleudo2006
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if leaving a bit of card on the dashboard saying "I never leave it in the car" would be an idea - or would that be taxing their literary skills?!
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say yes.

My friend worked at a Ford dealership and they use to remove all the stereos (a while ago when stereos were the standard DIN size) and put a bright yellow sign on the dash which had in big letters RADIO REMOVED.

One night some numpties put through 6 windows before the penny dropped.
kobudera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoeknee wrote:

One night some numpties put through 6 windows before the penny dropped.

Don't underestimate the lowlife.... they know all the tricks, and it doesn't matter to them what damage they cause. They were probably just testing whether or not the notices were a put off. How do I know? I talk to them every day, then lock them up at night!
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Don't underestimate the lowlife.... they know all the tricks, and it doesn't matter to them what damage they cause. They were probably just testing whether or not the notices were a put off. How do I know? I talk to them every day, then lock them up at night!

So no option except sell the satnav, car and house and move to Holland Sad
Maybe you could lock em up for a few years instead of over night, unless they could offord Lee Bowyer's lawyer, then we'd probably end up paying thier taxi ride home and apologising to them, but that's another currant gripe of mine!! I got a couple ATM Rolling Eyes
polekat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The company i work for has recently issued a lot of staff myself included with the tomtom 300, all in all a few thousand units, and yes we have had a hell of a lot stolen allready.

The company has said any stolen tomtoms will not be replaced, which is fair i guess, the units along with the mounts are to be removed from the vehicle when unattended.
So after i have removed the tomtom & mount, mobile phone,laptop, radio facia and other bits of expensive gagetry im going to need a pretty big rucksack to carry them into the petrol station to pay for fuel :D .

Anyway i have installed the mount for the tomtom lower down on the dashboard so its not visible on the windscreen, not used the sucker part just the swivel knuckle & charger.

But i do think tomtom could & should make the units a little more thief proof, fingerprint scan would be one of mine along with a 10000 volt shock if prints did,nt match Laughing
If caught one of the thieving bastards i would superglue his fingers to his face.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: