Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Any problems with the French Gendarme (Police) confiscating?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Any problems with the French Gendarme (Police) confiscating?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
Yesterday, I went into Smiths and bought a road atlas of France, which included details of speed camera locations. Will I be banged up if I'm caught with it in the car? Wink

You would have to check on www.willigetbangedupifihavearoadatlasoffrance.co.uk. Wink

I love it when people don't take the French police seriously :D :D

To old to die young.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take them very seriously. I just can't get my head around the difference between the satnav telling me a camera is coming up, and her indoors sat next to me doing the same from a road atlas.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
I take them very seriously. I just can't get my head around the difference between the satnav telling me a camera is coming up, and her indoors sat next to me doing the same from a road atlas.

I agree there is no difference and nobody is saying there is, but what is a fact is that French police have confiscated several satnav systems belonging to UK registered vehicles because in their view they are illegal, although officially they are in fact legal.

The problem is that once you argue your case and point out they are legal, you increase your fine by a few hundred €'s and take several large steps to being detained.

The only place I have heard they confiscate the devices is at the peages, so that might help a few people Wink

To old to die young.
finisterre
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Daily Telegraph's 'Honest John' section (12/05/07):

Watching the detectors

In France, GPS systems that indicate the position of speed cameras are legal (see article R413-15 of the French highway code). They are classified as “avertisseurs” – warning devices providing information that is in the public domain and available on www.viamichelin.com. Any device that can detect radar or laser signals from speed cameras or guns is illegal. They are classified as “détecteurs” and the presence of such a device, whether in use or not, is a serious offence that can lead to a large fine or even confiscation of the vehicle. GPS systems that combine laser/radar detectors should not be taken to France.
R.P., Hove

# Some devices do both and a lot of gendarmes either don't know the difference or don't want to know. There was a recent prosecution involving a motorist who used camera location sat-nav – he was acquitted because he proved his device complied with the law. If you want to take your sat-nav to France, go to this link (it's in French): www.controleradar.org/detecteur-de-radar.html. Print it out and carry it with you to convince sceptical flics that your kit is legal in French law. Via Michelin now sells European sat-nav devices with the latest speed trap locations. Prices start at £199.
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a useful link.
There must be loads of French drivers using e..g TomTom with camera warning from the French GPSpassion forum. In fact I know two personally
In fact I got stopped for another matter by a motorcycle flic at the entrance to a peage. He looked at the satnav which clearly showed speedcams but his only comment was that the route was rubbish.
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The detector link in the above post has a small error .. Sad won't open due to one too many . correct one is :

www.controleradar.org/detecteur-de-radar.html

this one is a also usefull...

http://www.controleradar.org/detecteur-radar-gps

Regards

Entwood
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know of an online source for the French highway code (particularly the section mentioned by finisterre)? I've found this site - http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/ - which apparently hosts it, but my French isn't good enough to find my way around that site effectively!
Hemlock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gareth71 wrote:
Anyone know of an online source for the French highway code (particularly the section mentioned by finisterre)? I've found this site - http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/ - which apparently hosts it, but my French isn't good enough to find my way around that site effectively!

This is the French version of Article R413-15 du code de la route:
http://www.motoservices.com/permis/Article_R413-15.htm -
and this is the English translation.
http://tinyurl.com/2qyhf5
Here is another version(French):
http://www.radars-auto.com/faq-avertisseurs-detecteurs-radar.php -
and in English:
http://tinyurl.com/2oawty
M.
Hemlock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Hemlock"]

And from the French Embassy in London:

Speed camera detection device in France.
Following a lot of letters and emails sent to the Embassy regarding legislation in France on speed camera detection devices, please note that, under articles L413-2 and R413-15 of the French ‘Code de la Route’ (highway code), it is strictly forbidden to have such devices in cars in France, regardless of whether or not they are in use (see below: penalties can include fines of up to €3,000, confiscation of the device and of the vehicle).
This legislation does not apply to satellite navigation systems (SatNav or GPS). These can tell motorists only the location of fixed speed cameras, data which is already in the public domain.
MOTORISTS SHOULD ALWAYS ABIDE BY THE LAW AND KEEP WITHIN PERMITTED SPEED LIMITS.
For your own and others’ safety, drive within the following speed limits. Please note that France has reduced limits in wet weather.
Towns and villages: 50 kph (31 mph)
Other ordinary roads – dry weather: 90 kph (55 mph); wet weather: 80 kph (49 mph)
Voies rapides [dual carriageways, etc.] – dry weather: 110 kph (68 mph); wet weather: 100 kph (62 mph)
Autoroutes [motorways] – dry weather: 130 kph (80 mph); wet weather: 110 kph (68 mph)
You must always adapt your speed to the driving conditions.
Links [in French]: www.securiteroutiere.equipement.gouv.fr
www.legisfrance.gouv.fr
www.interieur.gouv.fr
www.defense.gouv.fr/gendarmerie/
Article L413-2
CODE DE LA ROUTE (Partie Législative)
M.
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Mercy Buckets', Hemlock. ;)

Will be printing those out and keeping them in the car when I go next week, just in case I encounter a mardy Gendarme whose missus hasn't given him any for weeks ....
Hemlock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gareth71"]'Mercy Buckets', Hemlock. ;)

Vous êtes très bienvenu. Apprécier votre voyage
M.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gareth71 wrote:
'Mercy Buckets', Hemlock. ;)

Will be printing those out and keeping them in the car when I go next week, just in case I encounter a mardy Gendarme whose missus hasn't given him any for weeks ....

That will be all of them then Embarassed Laughing Laughing

To old to die young.
sloveridge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: French law on Speed camera/GPS devices Reply with quote

The French Embassy to the UK has posted information to its web-site outlining French Law regarding Speed camera/GPS navigation devices. See the following link:

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Cannonball-racers-arrested-by-the.html#sommaire_1

In short, camera detection devices (Radar or laser) are illegal. GPS devices that conatin a database of locations are legal.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone trawling through french websites may be assisted by Google Translate.....http://www.google.com/translate_t

If you copy the url of the website page you are viewing into the relevant field on Google Translate, and select the appropriate language change, it makes things alot easier to read. Sometimes it doesn't work though.

Worth a try Question

(I was trying to get the link above shown in red but it didn't work - can anyone assist?)

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That last link (to the French embassy website) seems to prove conclusively, then, that GPS-based speed camera warning devices *are* legal in France. Nice to finally have some concrete proof - thanks for posting the link.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: