Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Any problems with the French Gendarme (Police) confiscating?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Any problems with the French Gendarme (Police) confiscating?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
I take them very seriously. I just can't get my head around the difference between the satnav telling me a camera is coming up, and her indoors sat next to me doing the same from a road atlas.

If you are lucky, they may confiscate your device (the map) and its reader (her indoors). Wink

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we need though is a document from the embassy, in french, that we can carry with us. And it needs some sort of official heading, rather than a plain page that anyone could have printed, if the gendarme is to be convinced.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
If you are lucky, they may confiscate your device (the map) and its reader (her indoors). Wink

CoPilot + Police = Driving = :D
yo612
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
It's because I 'm french that I can anwer you about your questions.

The french law banning devices which can detects speed cameras but not devices which alert about speed cameras positions.
So GPS with database is allowed (but for how long time yet ?...) but it's totally forbiden to have devices which can detect by emission of laser waves, radio frequencies wavese, etc...

So a passive devices as GPS are oK :P but all active devices are illegal. Exclamation
You can pay a very big fine and you have to pay at the moment, you risk to have your car confiscated definitevly.

Don't forget that the cobs are more clever than us because the law is with us...

Excuse my bad english but I think my text 's understandable Embarassed
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo612 wrote:
Excuse my bad english but I think my text 's understandable Embarassed

Ce ne peut pas être l'anglais parfait mais je suis sûr que nous pourrions tout vous comprendre.

Thanks for your input.

Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo612, your English is very good.

Quote:
The french law banning devices which can detects speed cameras but not devices which alert about speed cameras positions.

My French friend, Christophe, has told me it is 'forbid' in France to use any device which indicates the position of a speed camera. GPS is a device which with the added speed camera database, indicates the position of a camera and I would take this to mean it is illegal to have the camera database installed. This is why it is all so confusing.

Paper maps are OK because they are not a device, so can show camera positions.

What adds to the confusion is, viaMichelin have a database download available for their mapping.

To be certain of not contravening French law I think it best we all stick to their speed limits there's no chance of getting fined or having our Sat Navs confiscated, whether that's legal or not. I for one wouldn't argue with one of their Gendarmes, I don't think I'd win. If one says to me 'Saut'. I say 'Comment haut'? Dixon of Dock Green they are not.Police
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect, lost property, taking it all on balance I think I'll take my chances and believe the word of the French Embassy and the French highway code over your mysterious friend Christophe! ;) ;)
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With all due respect, lost property, taking it all on balance I think I'll take my chances and believe the word of the French Embassy and the French highway code over your mysterious friend Christophe!

My mysterious friend, French born and bred, actually made enquiries for me but if he was told wrong, or regulations have changed since he made the enquiries, no matter, I shall keep the cameras off and stick within the speed limits. But remember, people may have the camera database and it may well be legal there but it won't show the position of the random speed checks by the Gendarmie, as, when and where they feel like it, so having the camera database could give a false sense of security.

Personally I can't really see the need to speed in France, the roads are good, quiet most of the time and you can easily do the equivalent distance London to Plymouth in 3 hours in a nice relaxed way.

But everyone has to make their own choice as to whether they feel the camera database would be to their advantage or not.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Personally I can't really see the need to speed in France, the roads are good, quiet most of the time and you can easily do the equivalent distance London to Plymouth in 3 hours in a nice relaxed way.

But everyone has to make their own choice as to whether they feel the camera database would be to their advantage or not.

I forgot to put in what I was going so say.....

I agree that there is no need to speed in France, but then there is no need to speed anywhere really. Just get up earlier. Wink

I use the French camera database as I do in the UK, as an added security, not to allow me to speed, but to warn me if I creep over. Some of the French scenery is superb and you can't help looking. Try driving across the Millau bridge is south east France without looking out your side windows.

Last edited by 999tommo on Sat May 26, 2007 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree that there is no need to speed in France, but then there is no need to speed anywhere really. Just get up earlier.

Exactly. The difference between doing 70 and 80 on an average journey makes just a few minutes difference. Even worse is the rolling road blocks on a two lane dual-carriageway, when one lorry, travelling at about 53 mph is being overtaken by another doing 55. Aaaagghh!!!

Quote:
I use the French camera database as I do in the UK, as an added security, not to allow me to speed, but to warn me if I creep over. Some of the French scenery is superb and you can't help looking. Try driving across the Millau bridge is south west France without looking out your side windows.

I haven't been down that far since about 1998 but it's on my list of things I must do. It's amazing just ;ooking at the pictures on Google.
Stargate2006
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the new Navman gps satna then.

Hoping they don't confiscate the device of navman N20, N40, N60i which is already got the safety camera software in the unit.

I feel this a bit silly for confiscate the device and may think the the french or germany police keep the device to them self to getaway with it while they off duty to use it their own car on the road.

It time to call up the MP to stop this silly law in aboard police's of confiscate the device to keep it them self to getaway with it.

Also without the device gps satnav, how on earth the peoples going to get there or back home of getting lose without a gps satnav then.

This is wrong to confiscate the device gps satnav of thief of laughing at the Bristain peoples. Twisted Evil

It time the "PAYBACK" to return the device gps satnav returning it back to the owner.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: