Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - where to mount i3 in a Citroen Xsara Picasso
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

where to mount i3 in a Citroen Xsara Picasso
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RODTROTTER
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: where to mount i3 in a Citroen Xsara Picasso Reply with quote

just got a Citroen Xsara Picasso where is the best place to mount the i3 i think it has one of them damm windscrean that blocks the i3 8O
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the little side window in front of the drivers door is ok but for best results get a £10 antenna from Maplins and route it to the back of the car. I also have a Renault Megane with the same problems.
JJLight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 2004 Renault Megane I found the perfect place to avoid problems with the windscreen. I mount it to my side window so that the screen appears just to the left of my view of the side mirror. It is a natural place to look anyway, and the reception is perfect. I can't get any sort of signal with it on the dashboard or mounted to the windscreen.

Makes me glad I have an i3 too, because anything with a bigger screen might get in the way in that position!
crayg30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a scenic 2000 (x reg) and have no problem with reception through windscreen (maybe different on newer models) but isn't the windscreen so far away(Laughing Out Loud) but i agree with earlier post the little side window is perfect.
fartyass
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Picasso 2LTR Hdi .Yes the windscreen (athermic?) Takes its toll on the gps signal. You will notice that above the interior mirror is a dotted area. This area does not have the screen coating .My I3 works well there positioned above the mirror.Yes it will work in the drivers quarter light area but the recieved signal is not as good there. Of course invest £10 on the maplin antenna & you can place the the I3 wherever you want.

Incidently if you do use the interior mirror location the mount is fairly inconspicious there & is easy to remove. Tea leafs tend to look in the quarter light area for the telltale suction ring mark when you remove your gps mount
RODTROTTER
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fartyass
have you got any pics of your setup i have just got thr car and i am finding it hard to find best place for i3 also where to run the power lead thanks for any help you can give
fartyass
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew! Where do I start. I have tried many setups in the Picasso. I still have A streetpilot colourmap ,Emap, Mitac mio 168 clone,Medion 4600. & of course the I3 (picked up from work as a clearence item, so cheap I could not say no)I have tried all the TomTom Go range 300 500 & 700 again through my job.I have NOT tried the TomTom one with its later sirf chipset should work fine in the Picasso.

Yes you can use the favoured drivers quarter light area to mount your gps.But I have not found the I3 & TomTom Go range receivers sensitive enough to use reliably enough to work without an external antenna or re-radiating type.Yes there are many who will say mine works fine in that position but in bad weather or in a city with tall buildings you will loose signal when you need it most.

Back to your question.In the Picasso by the drivers right knee is a fuse box.There is plenty of room in there to fit a 12v cigar socket (I used the the type that comes with a lead & 2 crock type clips.I cut these off and connected black one to ground & the positive to an ignition controlled circuit(soldered ,fused,& joints insulated) .If you are not confident enough to do this you can connect your additional socket to the existing cigar lighter circuit.Plug in the I3 cigar adapter into your newly fitted socket & you can exit the fuse box area to the drivers door rubber seal, peel that back & place your cable behind before refitting it.If you chose the above mirror location you can tuck the cable between the roof lining & windshield allowing the the the connector to exit with enough spare to connect to the I3. Here is a similar installation with a ToTom setup http://www.rosschapman.co.uk/tomtomgo.htm

As you know have a Picasso you will find this sight invaluable

http://www.citroenpicasso.org.uk/picasso/index.php?s=9332f78ff37150c9277ff6318d7c4ea3&showforum=33

Regards Farty
fartyass
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front page link for the Unoficial Picasso site should be
http://www.citroenpicasso.org.uk/picasso/index.php?s=9332f78ff37150c9277ff6318d7c4ea3&showforum=33
RODTROTTER
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that fartyass you a star can you tell me do both the door mirrors fold in only the driver side fold on mine
fartyass
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What model Picasso do you have? My Picasso Exclusive model has electrical retracting ones.As far as I know this is the only model fitted with them. (the edjustment switch clicks down to the 6 o clock position)The other models will retract using the armstrong method. Smile
Ps don,t force the switch into 6 oclock position or it will break on models not fitted with this feature.
RODTROTTER
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a Exclusive too
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Xsara Estate and setting up inside it can take ages to get the lock but find if I get a lock outside the car first, before setting up in the middle of my dash under the 'dotted area', I have no problems.

It seems that once there is a lock, the reduced signal through the screen is no longer an issue, in fact even after travelling through the channel tunnel, it picked up and locked on before reaching the top of the exit ramp from the platform.

I had no problems driving round Lille, even with the narrow roads and tall buildings.
RODTROTTER
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have fixed the mirrors thanks to that forum you posted lots of wd40 and i bit play all working now thanks
PowerLee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a MULTIPLEXED Picasso or any other PSA Peugeot / Citroen then you should be very careful where you try to attach your extra permanent supply socket to.

The best place is off the back of one of the factory installed cigarette lighters or power sockets.

Tapping into the multiplexed wiring system is a big NO NO!

Even trying to connect off the back of the radio or similar will give you problems & you could fry your BSI unit & they are BIG money & you CANNOT use a second hand one from another car either!
fartyass
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tapping into the multiplexed wiring system is a big NO NO!

Ever considered some people understand Electronics! My extra socket as been in use for over two yrs now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: