Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 V2.90 now avail from Garmin.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 V2.90 now avail from Garmin.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougconran wrote:
I get the final turn instruction anything up to 300 yards before the turning - and I find it a right pain. Pistol Shoot Out Tom Tom can manage it, why can't Garmin?

I agree. If there were no prior warnings of the turn I could understand why some people like to have the final instruction early, but with the previous audio warnings and the visual countdown, the final turn instruction should be unambiguous. My son's TomTom is much better in this respect.

But in every other way I think the i3 is a great product at a fraction of the cost of the other options, and I have no regrets. :D
Samsung Galaxy S21
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

porky48 wrote:
Finally; the unit now retains the last navigation you were on even if the unit has been turned off, today I was 5 miles off route before I realised it was taking me back to where I was last night.

mine has always done this... as long as i can remember to be honest!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acefreecell wrote:
Here is waiting for 2.10

wow.... that'll be REALLY bad then. most people here seem to be wanting 3.00 ;)
porky48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougconran wrote:
porky48 wrote:
Mine was prompting me at .2 miles which was far to early, with regard to the continuing navigation, I under stand the unit keeps its last location but mine was still navigating, this was the problem,
I have now gone back to 2.70 and alls well. :D

Are you saying that you get your final prompt as you reach the turning? I've gone from v0.0 to v2.7 and on all of them I get the final turn instruction anything up to 300 yards before the turning - and I find it a right pain. Pistol Shoot Out Tom Tom can manage it, why can't Garmin?

The last prompt is at 200ft for left and right turns on 2.70, it would seem that some twit moved the decimal point, I can understand .2 miles if your on a motorway or duel carriageway and perhaps this was the idea, a small addition to the software should allow differentiation between high speed roads and side roads I just get a gut feeling that Garmin let loose some snotty kid fresh out of university on their firmware, and he just fiddled about with it thinking he was a clever boy, I just don't understand how Garmin could cock up an update this badly when the beta worked ok.
The unit retains the previous location but unfortunately it also stays in navigating mode if you haven’t let it reach the destination, even if the unit has been turned off and you have moved location before turning it back on, its not a big problem but something that you should be aware of if your going back to a destination in the same area the next day.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porky48 wrote:
The unit retains the previous location but unfortunately it also stays in navigating mode if you haven’t let it reach the destination, even if the unit has been turned off and you have moved location before turning it back on, its not a big problem but something that you should be aware of if your going back to a destination in the same area the next day.

I'm convinced that this is a good thing and will bear the inconvenience of checking I'm going to the right destination before departure. You can switch off the i3 for long stretches of motorway or if you're stopping for a rest, food etc. and then switch it back on again when you need it.
acefreecell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
acefreecell wrote:
Here is waiting for 2.10

wow.... that'll be REALLY bad then. most people here seem to be wanting 3.00 ;)

That is sort of what I ment to say, I was thinking of two.ten Embarassed

Motorola Defy with CamerAlert, NDrive 11, Co-Pilot Live and Google Maps

formally Garmin i3, Nuvi 200 and Origin BlueI
(Origin for sale)
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read with interest complaints about the last turn instruction at 200 ft (even on 2.90). Thats only 60m, which does not take long at 30mph. OK i know where streets are very close together this could be an issue, but its very rare.

Last thing i would want is a sat nav jabbering at me whilst actually making the turn, when i should be concentrating on the road / pedestrians / cyclists etc.

For my 2p worth the i3 is a great unit, better that the built in unit i tested in a Honda accord, which regularly got lost.
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last Garmin have got back to me and told me that they are not aware of the problems that I have reported and have not had anyone else report them... this leads to 3 possible causes:

1 - I am mad and am imagining this whole problem and am also imagining that so many other people on this forum are experiencing problems.

2 - All of the other people who have said they have reported the problems are compulsive liars who have not done so and deserve to be shot for being so nasty... They probably also do unspeakable things to cute kittens.

3 - Garmin's internal communication has fallen over so they don't really know who has reported what!

After a lengthy review of this I have decided that...

1 - Not possible, my therapist tells me I'm not mad all of the time, so do the voices in my head (or is that my i3?).

2 - Again not possible, all of the people on this site are so nice and friendly, they could not possibly be nasty.

3 - Enough said, I rest my case!!!

Can you all please ensure that Garmin really are aware of your issues (by that I mean make sure that you have received a reply from Garmin, you may have e-mailed tham and it has got lost). Keep mailing them with the issues until you get a reply.

Secondly, if you have had a reply from Garmin but not heard back for a while since, can you please chase up the rep you were talking to to find out how things are progressing.

At the moment there seem to be lots of users who are aware of a problem and want a fix but also a company who can make the fix saying they are unaware of the problem... I think 3.o might still be a way off.
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had this mailed back... they obviously are not aware of the problems... People please help us all by making sure Garmin are fully aware of all aspects of the problem. I can only report what I have experienced.

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

In regard to your email, I can confirm this is not a known fault and information upon forums and message boards etc is not considered as official information whereby often the 'comments' made are incorrect and can often harm your unit and software.
At this time I am attempting to trouble shoot this issue you have appeared to have found so we can find a resolution of which I will forward your previous email correspondence to our software developers for future consideration.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

Regards,
Luke R
Product Support Associate
Garmin (Europe) Ltd
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevf

A number of us had had follow-up emails from Garmin asking us for further information, (i've had at least three now) what settings we are using, what POIs are loaded, speed camera databases, map versions etc.... so they are on the case.

When I initially wrote their reply admitted there were problems and to re-install 2.70 until further notice
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote:
Trevf

A number of us had had follow-up emails from Garmin asking us for further information, (i've had at least three now) what settings we are using, what POIs are loaded, speed camera databases, map versions etc.... so they are on the case.

When I initially wrote their reply admitted there were problems and to re-install 2.70 until further notice
I have seen the posts regarding this. the problem is that Luke at Garmin is unaware (and so he says are Garmin as a whole) of any issues with 2.9. I know this is not a user base problem but it does seem that Garmin have no idea what is going on. I just want to ensure that they are fully aware of all of the issues and also of what they internally know. It might help if we had a list of other Garmiun staff who have been involved in this so that a list of who knows what at Garmin could be submitted to Garmin.

Trev
wibblemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Garmin Unaware Reply with quote

I cant understand how Garmin are saying they are unaware of these problems. I personally emailed their support via their own website a couple of weeks ago with my findings comparing my i3 with 2.90 and my fathers with 2.7 running side by side, both with v8 maps, so that's at least one customer who has told them.
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Unaware Reply with quote

wibblemonster wrote:
I cant understand how Garmin are saying they are unaware of these problems. I personally emailed their support via their own website a couple of weeks ago with my findings comparing my i3 with 2.90 and my fathers with 2.7 running side by side, both with v8 maps, so that's at least one customer who has told them.
Did you get any feedback from them? It sounds like info has been lost internally.
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevf here is a reply i had

matb wrote:
reply from my email to garmin

Hi Mat,

We have received a lot of feedback regarding software version 2.9 and it appears there are some issues at the moment.

We have contacted the software engineers in the US and they are working on a fix. ASAP so that we can get the new features of 2.9 working without error for you. This should be announced as a new update as soon as it is available.

Regards,
Alastair Ingason
Product Support
Garmin (Europe)
Telephone Number 0870 8501242
Email: sales.europe@garmin.com

so there you have it. no turning back now.
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mat, I will pass the name onto the guy I am talking to, hopefully they can start pulling things together.
matb wrote:
trevf here is a reply i had

matb wrote:
reply from my email to garmin

Hi Mat,

We have received a lot of feedback regarding software version 2.9 and it appears there are some issues at the moment.

We have contacted the software engineers in the US and they are working on a fix. ASAP so that we can get the new features of 2.9 working without error for you. This should be announced as a new update as soon as it is available.

Regards,
Alastair Ingason
Product Support
Garmin (Europe)
Telephone Number 0870 8501242
Email: sales.europe@garmin.com

so there you have it. no turning back now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: