Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie instructions for Acer n35 D3 gatso cameras Alert
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie instructions for Acer n35 D3 gatso cameras Alert

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gebby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Newbie instructions for Acer n35 D3 gatso cameras Alert Reply with quote

Having read the forum “thanks guys” I have decided to write in a format that all new people not familiar with programming and assumes you know what we are talking about.

These instructions will help you set up the Gatso and Red light traffic cameras
on the Acer N35, this also assumes you haven’t change file settings within the Destinator3 software installed on the Acer N35.

If you want to be sure you have a clean sheet, then do a hardware re-set this is the tiny switch on the bottom right. But beware if you have anything installed you will loose it. Re-setting this switch will restore the Acer N35 to manufacture settings, “As you got it from the box”

I have done this to mine so I can check the results of setting it up to indicate where these cameras are.

First:
Insert CD1 1 of the two Destinator3 CD’s on your PC. The console program will be needed to carry out the camera installation, browse the Cd with windows explorer and click on the “InstColl.EXE” to install the program on your main WindowsXP PC.

When you run the console program you should see the main window shows maps, and also this is where you use the CSV “Excel files” import button, select UK-Ireland 189.0 MB map, if you did it correctly then the UK map on the right will be highlighted in green.

You must have your Acer N35 switched on and connected via the USB connection and Active Sync running, if not, set it up.

Ok nearly ready.

You need to get up to date files, so go to

http://pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php

and select Download the current database here

This will hold all the data needed to set your Acer up for camera detection. I would suggest you create a directory on the main pc to download this data, I use camera, and so it should look like this.

C:\camera

Download the database to this directory, it’s in a zip file, just unzip all in the same directory.

Open C:\camera\csv files\destinator3 , and you should see 6 CSV files like this pocketgps_uk_gatso.csv.

Now comes the fun part, go to your console program on your main PC and, and press Favorite importer icon “top right”, you should now see Favorite importer window, click on input file … and point it to the file in this directory

“C:\camera\csv files\destinator3\pocketgps_uk_redlight.csv”
Press open, and then press convert

Then use input file … and get C:\camera\csv files\destinator3\pocketgps_uk_gatso.csv
Press open, and then press convert

Ok. now we need to change the file name to match your Acer Destinator3 map settings for your Alert to work.

This would have created an additional directory C:\DestinatorApps\Installer\Console\IndepIndep

Now look in here
C:\DestinatorApps\Installer\Console\IndepIndep\Favorites

And you will see the two CSV file converted to DAT file, we need to rename these files before we do anything else.

pocketgps_uk_gatso.dat renamed to Auto Alert 1.dat
pocketgps_uk_redlight.dat renamed to Auto Alert 2.dat

You should now see two files in C:\DestinatorApps\Installer\Console\IndepIndep\Favorites
renamed to Auto Alert 1.dat and Auto Alert 2.dat

Next go back to the console, “make sure your Acer is on and connected to your pc and not running Destinator3”, if that’s ok, press download in the main PC console windows.

If you now look in your mobile device, my pocket pc \DestinatorApps\Destinator\Common\Favorites, you will see you have these two files installed and ready to use with your Acer N35.

Your now ready to go, you can change the alert 1 & 2 graphics to suit you on the Acer Favorites display, but I left them as they are.
If you want to be warned of cameras, you have to tick the two alert warnings 1 & 2

From the map press Destinate “bottom left”, then press favorites “top right”, then tick Auto Alert 1 and Auto Alert 2.
When you approach a gatso camera or red light camera you will here the lady speak ”Favorites Alert”
The wave file to say this is held in
mobile device/ my pocket pc \DestinatorApps\Destinator\Common\Interface\Voice\All
as 141.wav file
you can add your on sounds if you wish, I have made my own appropriate scary sound .. Laughing

create your own sound name it 141.wav and copy to the above directory.
That’s it.

Hope I haven’t left anything out and this helps you become a more alert safe driver. Wink

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all you guys in this forum for helping newbie’s like me set up our devices. cheers

Mike G "gebby"
MikeyF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gebby,

Firstly can I commend you on your instructions, very clear and should enable all to understand.

However, the only down-side is if people perfom the task following your instrucitons they will only be warned of Gatso & Truvelo cameras, omitting mobile and specs cameras.

This is why people should use the single file (pocketgps_uk_sc.zip/single file version/csvfiles/destinator3/pocketgps_uk_sc) and edit with excel as in my previous email.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=21290

I have spoken to the editor of PocketGPS and he'll be updating the download site to include instructions for destinator and a couple of speech files I've sent for people to download asap.

Thanks again

Mikey
gebby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mikey
Without your instructions, I wouldn’t have been able to work out what to do, and thanks for your comments and correction

I’m relatively new to GPS, and I’m uncertain why you would need mobile units, unless of course these are static sites, and are they likely to have a mobile unit sitting there?.

Perhaps you would consider explaining to us newbie’s how a static fixed point can pick up a mobile unit, I’m probably talking rubbish and there is a simple explaination Embarassed

Thanks for your efforts and help

Cheers

Mike G
gebby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok

found the info after a search on the forums.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17702

all is clear now ;)
MikeyF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries mate, the forum is here so we can all help each other out.

Mikey
J4G3D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there,

first of all thanks for this tutorial helped me out big time.

but wondered how i get the mobile camera file onto the acer n35? can someone explain in STUPID language Laughing Out Loud.

i am new and unsure of how the thing works.
gebby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to sure what you need to know, but this part explains how the file is transfered from the PC to your Pocket PC.

what do you want to know ?

Next go back to the console, “make sure your Acer is on and connected to your pc and not running Destinator3”, if that’s ok, press download in the main PC console windows.

If you now look in your mobile device, my pocket pc \DestinatorApps\Destinator\Common\Favorites, you will see you have these two files installed and ready to use with your Acer N35.

Mike G
J4G3D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorted thanks
canonman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried doing it the way you said but found no favourites folder Sad
canonman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canonman wrote:
canonman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canonman wrote:
canonman wrote:
mozzer99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to MikeyF and Gebby.
Got my N35 up and running first time - not so bad when you know ( or are told) how.
Big thanks for sharing the info. :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: