Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - postcode search
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

postcode search
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antonini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: postcode search Reply with quote

hi everyone.....I am a 4 day old pda virgin......so lots to learn...!
I have recently bought a Dell Axim X5 with tom tom 5 navigator from e bay. I need to have full 7 digit postcode search on it and alas....this one hasn't. I was watching loads of other items for a week or so and e mailed them all to ask the question before bidding. 99.9% of the time with tom tom 5 the answer was yes....full 7 digit search. I ended up buying this one at the last minute without asking the question and have wrongly assumed that all the tom tom 5 versions have it.
Is there any way I can upgrade to 7 digit search or perhaps someone has a version that they might want to swop for my full european set......I only need uk otherwise I will have to put it back on e bay and be more careful next time......!
The version I have is Tom Tom 5 Navigator(upgrade) version 5.210 (5430)

cheers
Toni
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

version 5 of tomtom naviagtor whether it is on a go pda or smartphone has full uk postaol code serch as you got it from ebay did you get an unregistered version you should have a product code with it if it already installed on the sd card then it should work (the sd card will be branded tomtom)

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
antonini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: that was quick Reply with quote

hi....thanks for the quick reply.....see you are a trucker....me too......

yes it ia a legit copy of tom tom with the card with product code on it and everything......
The postcode search will only do the first 4 digits and then gives me the town options to choose from.......it will not go straight to the address from the postcode. I realise I can choose a tonw, street and house number from this but I am starting a new job shortly delivering to superstores and they do not have numbers. Would be really nice to go straight to the correct location as the road could be a couple of miles long.......you should know what I mean if you use yours in your truck.
I also bought an Acer N30 with destinator 3 and that lets me do 5 digit postcode search......one more digit....but still not what I need.....
Is it perhaps because its an upgrade pack....or so it says on the box of discs....there are 7 discs in total.....could it be that there is an option on the install??
Any other ideas would be appreciated....don't want to go to all the trouble and install the speed cameras for nothing......have done it on destinator ok.

cheers
Toni
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried to use Navigate To .... | (Right Arrow to Page 2) ! Postcode?

If that doesn't work have you a Folder in the Root of the SD Card called Zip?

As you have the 7CD set, you can add the Postal File by inserting CD1 (not the Installation Disc) and follow the Menus to Add Maps | Great Britain | Great Britain Postcodes.

You might need to add an empty Folder, named tomtom, into the Root of the SD Card also. It was due to a problem with some TomTom Installers.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
antonini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: cheers Reply with quote

thanks mate.....I'll give it a go later on and let you know how I get on...
cheers for the help
Toni
antonini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: no zip file Reply with quote

hi Richard......using page 2(postcodes) is what I have been trying.....it lets me type the whole 7 digit postcode in....but brings up roads etc after the first 4.......example, my home NN14 6ED.......just brings up everything as soon as the NN14 is typed in.....including the A14 dual carriageway etc
I used to have my laptop connected to a gps unit in my van a few years ago running autoroute and infomap and I just typed the whole code in and it took me directly to that address.
I do not seem to have a file called "zip" anywhere.......although I don't quite understand what you me by the "root" of the sd card......I have searched through everyfile one by one including the sd card file....but no luck.
the files in sd card are as follows.....2577, gt britain, ITN, licences, palm, raster, schemes, tom tom, tom tom cfg and voices.
do I do what you suggested and insert the disc and follow the menus and add to the tom tom file already listed above??
it has the following already in it
_do_not_remove DATA Munich TOM TOM.HMS

any help you could give will be appreciated......so far the acer/destinator forum has been a great help to me.....

thanks

Toni
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: no zip file Reply with quote

antonini wrote:
I do not seem to have a file called "zip" anywhere.......although I don't quite understand what you me by the "root" of the sd card......I have searched through everyfile one by one including the sd card file....but no luck.
the files in sd card are as follows.....2577, gt britain, ITN, licences, palm, raster, schemes, tom tom, tom tom cfg and voices.

When the Postcode is type in, leave the 'space' out as in NN146ED.

From yout list you don't appear to have the Zip Folder, inside which is the Great_Britain.Postal File.

CD1 has the has the GB Maps and the Postal File and will install the necessary Folder and File into the Root correctly, via the Menus.

The Root of the SD Card is what is seen on the PC as Drive[letter]:\TomTom

antonini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: postcodes Reply with quote

hi richard......sorry to be a nuisance.......tried leaving the space out between the letters/numbers on postcode....but no luck.
I installed active sync on my pc and connected to pda......put disc 1(not installation) in like you said and it would not run saying "there is not enough memory in the temp folder"......I have quite a powerful pc and there is loads of GB space on it......checked all the temp folders to see what was in them........any ideas what is wrong??
I then inserted the setup disc thinking it was going to install a "console" like in destinator but it loaded a tom tom(2) on my pda without me asking it to. I have managed to delete this.......but before it happened Tom Tom was listed on my PDA "desktop" and now it is gone.......how do I put it back on there??
even after putting the setup dics in the pc.....disc 1 will still not run......should I be opening it with active sync or something??

cheers

Toni
antonini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: disc 1 Reply with quote

the message that comes up when I insert the tom tom cd 1 is......"not enough free space on temporary folder....cannot run setup"
this appears when the disc tries to autorun and also if I explore it and double click the setup icon(two red hands)

Toni
antonini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: postcodes Reply with quote

RICHARD.......you're a STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did it on my laptop(which is far smaller and slower) and loaded the file as you said........and hey presto.....it works!!!!!!!!

can anyone tell me what temp files the pc is referring to which is causing the setup of tom tom to not run.......my dics cleanup which I thought might help appears to not be working........I have 24 gb of space overall

can you tell me how to get the tom tom back onto the desktop of my pda please.......disappeared for some reason

going to spend some time putting the speed cameras on now as the postcode search works properly.......printed off all the forums to help me.......got it done ok with voices on destinator.......hopefully tom tom won't be too much of a problem.......wish me luck

thanks for your help

Toni
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: postcodes Reply with quote

antonini wrote:
can anyone tell me what temp files the pc is referring to which is causing the setup of tom tom to not run.......my dics cleanup which I thought might help appears to not be working........I have 24 gb of space overall

The answer is here -
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=37609

antonini wrote:
can you tell me how to get the tom tom back onto the desktop of my pda please.......disappeared for some reason

I don't know the PDA version well, but I think on the Desktop is only a Shortcut. So just create a Shortcut to TomTom there. I believe you just Press and Hold, then choose from the Menu Options.

I'm now going to duck behind the sand bags, in case I've got it wrong.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look in the Start/ Settings / personal Tab select the Today icon, then select Items Tab and make sure TomTom is listed and the check box is ticked, if it is try a soft reset of the device, I have had the TomTom today plug in disapear from time to time the above normally sorts it out -

As for your postcode issue try inserting a new folder called tomtom (no space) in the root of the SD card, it doesn't need anything in it - but without this it will do what you are experiancing, - hope this helps - Mike
antonini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: postcodes Reply with quote

hi Richard......glad I'm not the only one with the temp file problem then.....
will try them both tomorrow as I've only just got in from work(3.15am) and need my beauty sleep.......are you alright in the sandbags till then.....can I offer you a pillow??

cheers for your help

Toni
antonini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: desktop tom tom Reply with quote

hi mike...thanks for the help....tom tom isn't listed in the list....I tried tapping the options box to see if it would let me add.....but it is greyed out and will not let me in....

got the postcode all sorted now thanks....as richard said.....obviously not installed properly in the first place by the person I bought it from
do you know the difference between gb maps and gb plus........I noticed these options whilst doing the postcode bit

cheers
Toni
antonini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: tom tom desktop Reply with quote

reset didn't work either.........
it disappeared last night when I was connected to the pc and put the installation disc in....I thought I was putting a console thing to add maps etc on the pc but it created a tom tom(2) in the programs menu on the pda.....then the desk top bit disappeared

Toni

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: