Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GP-27 Bluetooth GPS receiver no connectivity
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GP-27 Bluetooth GPS receiver no connectivity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildgeeza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: GP-27 Bluetooth GPS receiver no connectivity Reply with quote

First of all, Hello all! I'm totally new to this site and all the wonders of GPS !

I am trying to get GPS working on my MDA Compact but keep coming up with a "No Device connected" problem. I searched another forum area and tried the things that seemed to work for another user, but that was for a different smart phone, and thus, never worked.

I Have:
T-Mobile MDA Compact 2 : Like Qtek or a JAMin
Windows mobile (CE) 2005
TomTom Navigator 5.21
GP-27 Bluetooth GPS receiver

I've done the whole, switch the gps on, let it find a signal, load TomTom, then hookup the bluetooth gps.

Now, the GPS seems to receive it's signal, ie. the green light flashes quicker. And Windows mobile 2005 can see the cpit-GPS in the bluetooth settings. Yet, the TomTom software cannot seem to hookup with the GPS and get going!

Did I get the wrong GPS hardware for the phone? I was trying to do all this on the cheap since I got the phone free on contract.

Any ideas?
Silav101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're running an HTC-device (MDA, Qtek, XDA, blabla yadda yadda) with Windows Mobile 5, you'll need to create an outgoing port for your GPS-receiver as well as creating a partnership for it.

Start - Settings - Connections - Bluetooth - COM Ports

Tap on New Outgoing Port

Select your GPS-receiver

Press Next

Select the COM port in the drop-down box and uncheck the option Secure Connection

Tap on Finish

Make sure your BT is on and your phone is on (Flight Mode off), then run Navigator 5. Go to Show GPS-status and tap on configure.

Choose Other Bluetooth GPS - baudrate as specified by your GPS-receiver (or 4800 or 33400) - COM Port you chose in the BT settings part.

Good luck.
wildgeeza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOO HOO ! Laughing Thanks so much !

I was reading from the cpit manual that it looked as though Com8 should have been used and didn't realise that once in the TomTom settings it would have changed and added Com6 or 7. (That was only available in the windows settings)

So I tried this indoors and it's hooked up the blutooth... all i need to do now, is set it up when in the car at home time (still at work Sad) and hopefully it should catch the signal!

Again.,. thanks so much Silav101.,. you've made my week !
Silav101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildgeeza wrote:
WOO HOO ! Laughing Thanks so much !

I was reading from the cpit manual that it looked as though Com8 should have been used and didn't realise that once in the TomTom settings it would have changed and added Com6 or 7. (That was only available in the windows settings)

So I tried this indoors and it's hooked up the blutooth... all i need to do now, is set it up when in the car at home time (still at work Sad) and hopefully it should catch the signal!

Again.,. thanks so much Silav101.,. you've made my week !

Haha, Navigator has a mind of its own, really. :-) Makes using it an adventure every PDA and iteration.

Like all GPS-receivers, now that you've physically (sorta. ;-) ) connected it to the PDA, it will take a while to get its first GPS-fix. Pay close attention to the messages that Navigator gives you in the GPS-status screen:

- No GPS-device means a (physical) connection problem
- No valid GPS-signal means waiting for GPS-data from a connected receiver

Also, the spinning black/yellow ball to the top-right is also an indicator:

- Spinning means connected, waiting for data
- not spinning means no (physical) connection

Cheers!
wildgeeza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That worked a treat on the way home.... (well kinda) I just need to get used to the idea of shortest vs fastest route. Fastest wasn't actually fast cos of the highstreet close to where I live!

Cheers for all your help !
dumber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Please Help ME, - gp-27 Reply with quote

I am also having probelms with tom tom and the gp-27, my jamin will pair with the receiver but tomtom wont show the com port, tried everything that has worked for everyone else, i would return it but the person i bought it from "ebay" wont accept refunds

Not sure what to do

Thanks
wildgeeza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried what Silav101 mentioned to me? It sounds like the stumbling point I had.

To reiterate Go to :

• Start - Settings - Connections - Bluetooth - COM Ports

• Select "New Outgoing Port", the select a com port for the GPS. I used COM6

• Now, go into TomTom and then
• Change Preferences - Show GPS Status - configure - other blue tooth device - then COM6 should have appeared in the list.

This is where I fell over. Because unless you create the outgoing port, the TomTom software cannot see or use the port you've set up.

Bear in mind I also have Windows Mobile 2005. So it'll be different with older versions of Windows.

Hope this helps.
dumber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Tried Changing Com Ports Reply with quote

I checked that i have mapped the com ports correctly "COM 6" but it never appears in TOM TOM Navigator, you dont think it's A software problem ?
wildgeeza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of things do you have?

Have you installed the TomTom Navigator 5.21, or just copied over an earlier version5.0? The 5.21 is the official Windows Mobile 5 upgrade.

Have you waitied until the GPS catches a signal before running Navigator? (I.e. wait until the green light blinks quicker)

Maybe try Com7 instead?

Have you got another blutooth service setup? I.e. headset, maybe there's a conflict there?

Maybe try erasing all your blutooth syncs and reinstall the gps.

Again, the main prob I had was syncing the blutooth, then creating the com6 port link. I'm just firing guesses and suggestions,...

Hope any of these works !
Silav101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I'll assume you're using Navigator 5.21. The older versions typically don't work on newer PDA's.

Also, make sure it's an outgoing port. An incoming port won't work, unfortunately.

Some ports will not show up in Navigator 5, depending on what type of GPS you choose. Try both Other Cable GPS and Other Bluetooth GPS.

And make sure your phone functionality is ON! As in, turn on the phone, turn Flight mode off! Navigator 5 has a nasty tendency to assume that if the phone is off, the BT stack is off, too. This is a legacy from older PDA's, where the phone and BT stacks were linked.

So, reiterate:

- Make sure you're running Navigator 5.21
- Create an outgoing COM port
- Make sure your phone function on the PDA is on ( Start - Settings - Phone )
- In Navigator 5, try both Other BT GPS and Other Cable GPS.

Good luck!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: