Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Software:CoPilot Live 6 / Route 66 Navigate 7 Pocket PC?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Software:CoPilot Live 6 / Route 66 Navigate 7 Pocket PC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jossyjacob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: GPS Software:CoPilot Live 6 / Route 66 Navigate 7 Pocket PC? Reply with quote

I am from Ireland. I was researching a lot these days to find about the street coverage of Ireland, since I would like to buy a GPS software for the IPAQ 5550 PDA (Given by my company). Which one has more coverage for Ireland? I would like to request help from someone using CoPilot Live 6 or Route 66 Navigate 7 Software? The route 66 site is actually showing that they have street level coverage for all of ireland?

Is it true?

Also would some one suggest me a good PDA with SIRF III based built in GPS receiver?
Steve101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had Copilot, since version 5. I used it for a year and then decided to upgrade to version 6. Due to the fact that ALK said there was a massive increase in the coverage for the Republic of Ireland. The actual increase was only a dozen roads. Hardly what I would call a significant increase.

However, Copilot 6 has 39% coverage for the Republic. A far cry from 100%. I know that as Navteq have finished mapping in December 2005, there should be 100% coverage some time this year. The Navteq website also have stated that the whole of Ireland is 100% covered.

Copilot is a very good package. But as the maps of Ireland are pretty much missing, ie: there's only 39%, its not that brilliant on country roads, compared to the M, N and R roads, which are fully mapped.

Copilot has cities like Waterford, Cork, Galway, mapped. Mainly the ones around the coast. Other places like Carlow, Kilkenny - forget it. They are 95% missing. Anything in-land, so to speak, is very sparse. There is no street level mapping for anything in-land. The website www.mapquest.com has the best coverage I know of. Copilot 6 has the same sort of coverage that www.maporama.com has.

More than likely, Copilot 7 will be exactly what everyone has been waiting for. Only problem is, is that it probably won't be due out until October/November 2006. A bit of a wait really.

I don't know about the new Route 66 Navigator 7. It does look pretty good. The percentage scale says it is 100%, which in all honesty, it should be. And comparing the percentage scale to some of the other older products it does seem to have a very low percentage of coverage compared to this new software.

I would pressume that the coverage is what it says, but you can never be sure.

The only thing I would be concerned about is the application. If the application is very buggy, it doesn't really matter how good the maps are, if the device doesn't route you properly or is prone to crashes. I downloaded the manual for it and it says the application is version 1. It also looks like it hit the market in March. So it could have a lot of bugs in it. This is only a thought. It may be brilliant.

With having used Copilot for just over a year, and with the new features of drag and drop points of interest, I think I will stick with this product. Although I am very tempted to just purchase the Route 66 package because of the maps. I am undecided as to whether to buy this new Route 66 product just to cover me for the next 7-8 months. As I do a lot of driving anyway. Its a difficult choice to make, but, if the program is as good as its flash demos and it doesn't crash then I'd say the Route 66 Navigator 7 could be right up your street.
jossyjacob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Thanks for the reply Reply with quote

Very good reply. Thanks.

I think that i also wait for the new co-pilot release, rather than buying Route 66.
Rcomms
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may want to look at http://www.mapopolis.com

They have very up to date navteq mapping. I use Co Pilot 6 in NI and find it covers Antrim and Down very well, but that Tyrone etc only has main roads really. Mapopolis imo has 100% mapping in NI. I haven't found a road not on it yet (And I'm regularly on single track roads in the middle of no where). It even has some forestry tracks on it as i discovered!

I've used it in Donegal and it is an improvement over CP6, but my no means perfect. Main roads are there but not alot of the smaller stuff.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: