Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Unable to understand Speedcam
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to understand Speedcam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guyos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Unable to understand Speedcam Reply with quote

Just got a go500 and updated the software, on a 512 card, working fine.

I have installed a speedcam file as a POI, and enabled it, when I switch on, the screen shows a camera icon on a side turning near to my home, where there isn't a camera.

How does it work, what should I see when I switch the unit on?

Please explain how I should use the speedcam facility, Question

Thanks

guyos
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guyos, First of all, you need to go to the home page, and about half way down there is a link that explains the camera database, read that first.
When you have had a read, decide what cameras you want to download, Mobile speed cameras, Red Light Cameras(the ones at traffic lights), Gatso, etc, and whether you want the speed cameras rated by speed etc, have a look at the speed camera threads to see what other people downloadand decide what you want. Personally I download ALL the Speed Cameras, In one file, (single file). When it is on your TomTom, Enable the speed camera POI, and the speed camers "Warner" .
Next, when you go on a trip, Put in your destination etc as normal, and just drive, follow the instructions on the TomTom, turn left etc, and when there is a speed camera up ahead, your TomTom will show it on the map, and you will get an audible warning. The speed cameras displayed will depend on what files you download, thats why I download the single file ALL cameras.
The camera database isn't 100% accurate, Camera's come and camera's go, it's up to us to report new camera's and camera's that are now not there. You say there is a camera on your TomTom that shouldn't be there, was there one there, but now its gone, if so, send a report in, to say it's gone, and they will remove it, is the camera on your TomTom the site of a mobile camera, You say you downloaded A file, you will need to download more than one, you only have one type of camera, or one type at one speed, Read the speed camera forums and decide what camera's you want, and if your still stuck, post again.
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=199183&highlight=#199183

It may help.
guyos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks tanda for the quick response, I will have a lot to learn, I am sure the various links will help, nice little gadget.

guyos
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have to say that I too am completely baffled and have given up. I have not updated my camera database for a few months, and when I came to do so was (A) shocked that I now have to pay and (B) I haven't got a clue on how to install the dammed things. It used to be a breeze, but now I cannot even fathom out how to upgrade the TomTom software to version 2 let alone put the latest cameras on. Why on earth has this suddenly got so complicated what was wrong with it before?
guyos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I seem to be making some progress after reading various threads on the forum. I paid £2.00 and installed pocketgps single file and it works fine, now I am playing with poiEdit and trying to understand co-ordinates.

Faust dont give up, just keep reading the posts on the subject, you will find them very informative.
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guyos wrote:
So far, I seem to be making some progress after reading various threads on the forum. I paid £2.00 and installed pocketgps single file and it works fine, now I am playing with poiEdit and trying to understand co-ordinates.

Faust dont give up, just keep reading the posts on the subject, you will find them very informative.

I haven't given up, in fact I have successfully upgraded to the latest camera database. I have to say though that it was easier before. What threw me was the POI zipfile for notifying new cameras. I wasn't to interested in this anyway as due to job change I don't do many miles anymore apart from holidays etc. However, it was just as well as I still don't understand what I am supposed to do with that file. When I clicked to open it Windows asked which application I wanted to use to view this file? Am I supposed to have the TomTom connected to the PC via USB when opening this file? as the instructions seem about as clear as mud, and I see reading various threads that other people are equally baffled. To be honest I'm happy just to be able to download the monthly camera database.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust wrote:

I haven't given up, in fact I have successfully upgraded to the latest camera database. I have to say though that it was easier before.

I think that (certainly for the TomTom Go, which is all I have experience with) it is a) much easier for newcomers to decide which set of files to download and b) exactly the same process as before to install them once you have downloaded. I can't see where the difficulty is?

Quote:
What threw me was the POI zipfile for notifying new cameras. I wasn't to interested in this anyway as due to job change I don't do many miles anymore apart from holidays etc. However, it was just as well as I still don't understand what I am supposed to do with that file.

What file is that? As far as I'm aware there is no such thing. You can UPLOAD your own POI file to report new cameras, but I've no idea what you might have downloaded. Can you give more details?
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I think Faust is talking about POI Capture, as a ViaMitchelin user I don't use it, but as a beginer myself, don't burden yourself with all these files for different cameras etc, just download the single file all cameras, and when you have a better understanding of it all, download other files.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: