Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Zoom level in TomTom 5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Zoom level in TomTom 5
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBitsy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Zoom level in TomTom 5 Reply with quote

I used to have a TomTom go unit but I really didn't like the fact it chose its own zoom level. I like to drive outside towns with the display zoomed out so I could get a better overview of where I was. The wife an I like to go for a drive and just randomly visit villages but the Go didn't let us do this. Apart from this the Go never put a foot wrong.

I got a PDA and CoPilot software that does allow me to set the zoom level that I want. However, Copilot has many bugs, terrible routing and doesn't support traffic, so I am thinking of getting TomTom 5 for the PDA.

I will not buy TomTom 5 if it still auto zooms, not allowing me to choose - can someone let me know if autozoom can be turned off?

Ray Keattch
Silav101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge, the auto-zoom cannot be turned off in Navigator 5.

Though 2D-mode has a pretty large area of display when it comes to showing the streets around your location.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that the auto zoom on my TT5 can't be turned off
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You used to be able to turn off auto zoom when negotiating a corner, however, when I started to write this I realised I hadnt seen that facility on TT5 although it was on TT3 and started to look for it.. I couldnt find it and concluded that it has been taken off.

Howard
Active Synch 4.5
MohairSofa Calendar+Today Plug-in Ver.2.5.2
Softwinter Storage Tools Ver.2.0 ppc 420
Pocket Informant 9.01 build2390
Sprite Back up Ver 6.5.4 build 16
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MrBitsy
I have TT5 (upgraded from TT3) and find Tomtom indispensable in my line of work (Courier). However, like you I also wish that one could zoom out when one wanted. Why on earth it has Auto-zoom I cannot think and I feel sure that most users would much prefer the option of choosing their own level of zoom. However, I’m afraid that there is nothing that I or anyone else can do about it.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
briwy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can zoom in/out temporarily by touching the + and - signs at the top of the screen but it reverts back to auto again.
I agree, its just another thing that has gone missing from TT3.
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom really should add adjustable zoom level.

I prefer 2d view - I really can't stand 3d mode.

On my hx4700, in TomTom 5's standard form. its completely unuseable in 2d with the VGA screen - far too zoomed out. I still use the resource hack on the tomtom navigator.exe file to remove the VGA sensing! I get a decent useable 2d zoom level, and the screen refresh is improved, and the text is larger so I can actually read much easier.

Having said that, I wouldn't swap TomTom for any other program currently in the market
MrBitsy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howarduk wrote:
You used to be able to turn off auto zoom when negotiating a corner, however, when I started to write this I realised I hadnt seen that facility on TT5 although it was on TT3 and started to look for it.. I couldnt find it and concluded that it has been taken off.

Howard

What a shame. I used a GO for a year and it never put a foot wrong, where this bloody CoPilot is always throwing up odd routes. From what I have read on the other software forums, TomTom 5 PDA seems to be the most respected kit - but all the others allow the user to set zoom level!

I have been considering Destinator, but I am worried about getting another half finished product. I may have to go with TomTom despite this silly ommision.

Ray Keattch
gearjammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

All the comments about a fixed zoom level in TTN5 are correct, but there is a work round which may suit your need that I have used on several occasions.

When the program is running, choose "browse map" from the menu screen. This produces a 2D plan usually centred on your home location. Click on the magnifying glass icon on the lower panel, then click the 'next screen' arrow and choose "GPS position", this will then show the 2D plan map with your current location in the centre. You can now use the left hand zoom bar to set the zoom level you wish, and you will not be bothered by auto zoom. When you want to return to normal use, just click 'done'.

The only issue is that the map does not auto scroll in this mode, so you will need to drag the screen with your finger/pointer as required, but this has never been a problem.

Hope this helps :D
MrBitsy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gearjammer wrote:
Hi,

All the comments about a fixed zoom level in TTN5 are correct, but there is a work round which may suit your need that I have used on several occasions.

When the program is running, choose "browse map" from the menu screen. This produces a 2D plan usually centred on your home location. Click on the magnifying glass icon on the lower panel, then click the 'next screen' arrow and choose "GPS position", this will then show the 2D plan map with your current location in the centre. You can now use the left hand zoom bar to set the zoom level you wish, and you will not be bothered by auto zoom. When you want to return to normal use, just click 'done'.

The only issue is that the map does not auto scroll in this mode, so you will need to drag the screen with your finger/pointer as required, but this has never been a problem.

Interesting - does the software continue to show guidance and announce turns in this mode?

Ray Keattch
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should still sound the turns but don't think that you will be able to see the instructions.
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
gearjammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, voice navigation continues but it does not support graphical route guidence. It was not designed for this purpose, but I'm sure someone will find a 'hack' to superimpose the planned route on the map (on my Tomtom wishlist).

Where it is useful is to give you a general overview of where you are in relation to the City, State or Country you are driving through. When I used Tomtom in western Canada last year it was great to give you a good view of where you were, how far you had come and how far you had to go. The map overview shown is too small and does not have enough detail to support graphical guidence.

Best to sit back and let Jane tell you where to go Wink

Cheers
MrBitsy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gearjammer wrote:
Correct, voice navigation continues but it does not support graphical route guidence. It was not designed for this purpose, but I'm sure someone will find a 'hack' to superimpose the planned route on the map (on my Tomtom wishlist).

Well, I decided to go with TomTom 5 instead of Destinator 3. First two hour drive and I feel right at home after having a GO unit a year ago. However, the autozoom feature really is a pain! Confused

At 70 mph on a motorway all that can be seen is the road I am on and very little else. Towns and villages can wizz by and you wouldn't know they were there. What a contrast to the Garmin Mapsource and Co-Pilot screens. Embarassed

The Garmin unit allowed me to zoom to the level I wanted, yet if I selected autozoom it would zoom in to junctions and then zoom out to my setting after passing them. The Garmin autozoom could be switched off too. A third view had a really neat method of showing a static zoomed in view of the next junction a mile away.

CoPilot is even better. Autozoom if you wanted it. Also a rather nice "next turn" mode where it would zoom out to show the next turn, regardless how far away that was. Very nice this was as you got to see where you were in relation to the surrounding towns, yet it would gradually zoom in as the next junction approached. Too bad CoPilot is so full of bugs as I would have kept it. Crying or Very sad

TomTom may well be a solid bit of kit in its routing and options, but its display is WAY behind the others. TomTom need to not only give the option to turn autozoom off at a minimum, but they should take a look at the opposition and include some of the views available with them.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

were you using 2d or 3d

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
korndog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gearjammer wrote:
Hi,

after selecting "browse map", if you tap on the blue arrow, top left of the screen that will bring your current location into view.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: