Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom on Navman
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom on Navman
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodrell1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that mikealder! and Geoff_UK for the info!

It now works a treat and is running in real time now.

If I disable all the poi`s categories will it still alert me to the cameras if I have it set as you said warn when near etc?

Cheers! Cheers!

jodrell1
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jodrell1 wrote:
If I disable all the poi`s categories will it still alert me to the cameras if I have it set as you said warn when near etc?
Yes, you will still get the warning and the audio alert to go with it. Mike
steve_393
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am still no wiser on how to stop loosing the TomTom funtions when the batt goes flat or you do a cold start reset......any help would be nice please. getting fed up with keep installing the pda software. thanks in advance

Steve.
Geoff_UK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

There are two ways to unlock your Navman:

1. a reg hack that tells the Navman software to load up an "menu" application and an installer that loads .NET on the Navman.

This route allows full use of the Navman as a PDA and of course allows you to install TomTom.

The only drawback is that if the battery goes flat or you switch it off from the back, you lose the PDA functionality.

2. there is a way to modify the navman start up routine so that whenever it does a cold start, it loads the apps that you want off the storeage card. This method also gives full functionality, which is not lost after a cold restart.

I have gone with method 1 and it works fine.

I am completly unable to understand the instructions to do method 2 !!

I'm intersted when you say that you're "sick of reinstalling" ?? I've only had to do that once in 2 months, and that was only because I was stupid and didn't turn it off!! I now have all of the Navman maps on the SD card as well, so that if the worst happens when I'm away, at least I will have some sort of SatNav to get me home.
steve_393
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have done option 1 already and keep forgetting to turn it off thats why i need to try option 2. any help with this or any other way of being able to turn it off without loosing PDA stuff thats lets you run the tom tom software.

Steve
khizrs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can I install tomtom on a 530?
gabbygall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, TTN installed and running like a dream (navman 520). Using the `taskbar` method favoured by most people here. One question.. actually 2..

1. When using Tomtom and playing MP3 files, the MP3 get crackly after about 2 mins of listening, now I assume its a CPU time issue since when I bring the MP3 player to the foreground, it sorts itself out. However when it running behind TTN, then thats when I get the problems.. Is there a way to spread the load of both apps equally when they are competing for CPU cycles??

Secondly, how the hell do I save playlists? It just doesnt seem to let me save them..

Thirdly (ok 3 questions) I know I can rotate the screen within TTN for a portrait orientation, but is there a free app I can use to do it for the standard desktop? Or even change the resolution??

Thanks and cheers to all above whose postings I followed to get TTn working on my Navman520.
Geoff_UK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I think the crackling mp3 playback is a memory issue?? There is only a small amount of ram available on the device and you're running 2 applications at once?? Maybe wong, but that and a CPU utilisation issue could be your problem.

2. no idea about playlists, I don't use the mp3 feature that much - sorry.

3. I have seen a post either here on on gps passion about an app that allows resolution changes on the device. can't remember what it was called though??

Sorry I've not been much help, but I'm a very simple soul and I view my sat nav as a navigation aid, not a portable music system !!! Wink
gabbygall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I know, but I love to fiddle!!! Twisted Evil
Geoff_UK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good reponse !!! Laughing

Someone at work said to me "why on earth do you want to even attempt to change the satnav software??"

my response was "because I can" !!!
gabbygall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Amen to that!

OK, another one, is there anyway of making the screen update on SmartST (Navman 520) smoother.. Something more akin to the way the screen updates on Tomtom Navigator running on the same unit.. With Navman Maps but Tomtom smoothness (and true 7 digit postcodes), SmartST would really be a contender.. Happy to know of any hack to interpolate the updates from 1 per second to 2 or 3 per second. (ala TTN)...

Oh, and any way of disabling autozoom on Tomtom Nav?? I want to zoom out on longer journeys and not have it keep zooming back in, albeit smoothly
Laughing
Geoff_UK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen refresh rate is clearly a software issue within SmartST as TomTom is capable of "smooth scrolling" using the same hardware. I've not seen anything posted anywhere about hacking SmartST to force it to update quicker??

There are poi files available off eBay that purport to give you 7 digit postcode searches. I bought one (for a few quid) and some of the poi files work and some don't - typically, the one for my home area didn't work !!

I doubt Navman will give the 510/520 the 7 digit postcode search facility when the new 530 has it - they'll expect you to upgrade the unit Sad

I've not seen a menu option to disable auto zoom on the TomTom - maybe someone else can shed some light on that issue??
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff_UK wrote:
I've not seen a menu option to disable auto zoom on the TomTom - maybe someone else can shed some light on that issue??
Sadly this is not possible, there is no user configuration available for this within TomTom - Mike
mbriody
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this working last night Smile

So far it seems a lot faster than on my 520. The voice prompts (at least with John Cleese) are many times louder than the standard SmartST ones.

The cold boot restore process is only semi-automatic at the moment but I'm hoping to have that fixed later today.

I will post instructions here once that is done, if there's any interest?

khizrs wrote:
can I install tomtom on a 530?
gabbygall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the next version of SmartST is out Spet/Oct.. I sent an enquiry email a while back off to Navman then forgot about it, today I got what looks like a standard reply saying the new version is due Sept/Oct and will be able to be purchased at the Navman store site.. no mention of new features though.. If anyone is interested I can post the email here..

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: