Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cannot use my navman in Spain ??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cannot use my navman in Spain ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nalagnik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Cannot use my navman in Spain ?? Reply with quote

Tell me it isn't so. I have just come across this item in a 'Driving in Spain' article on the web.....
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Navigation aids and DVD´s etc.
The driver must not use any screen based aid to navigation (or entertainment) while on the road. You must pull completely off away from traffic. (It makes sense really; after all, you are not allowed to drive down the road with a map on the steering wheel). DVD players and screen based devices other than those directly needed to operate the car must be positioned so the driver cannot see them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do I have to put a black hankerchief over it or what Crying or Very sad
Geoff_UK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in peoples thoughts on this as I am off to Spain in a couple of months time and I am intending taking the Navman with me to use in a hire car.

I have just bought the European maps, so I will be very sad if I can't use them !!

I suppose one way around it would be to install it for the passenger to use?
Daytona
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been into Spain and had a satnav on the windscreen twice (last time was August last year) with no problem, even through the border.
Have heard this mentioned before but thought it was more directed at TV or DVD screens being used in the front of the car.
No mention on the RAC, AA or Foreign Office websites under travel requirements. Have you got a link to this info? Could be worth asking somewhere like the FO directly?
Daytona
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot use my navman in Spain ?? Reply with quote

nalagnik wrote:
screen based devices other than those directly needed to operate the car must be positioned so the driver cannot see them.

Just thinking, if the worst comes to the worst, angle it so the screen cannot be seen by the driver and use the voice instructions.
nalagnik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Here is the link Reply with quote

Here is the link you wanted. Its a few paragraphs down the page....

http://www.idealspain.com/pages/Information/DrivingSpain.htm

As I said already " cover it with a black hankerchief " or angle it away as you have suggested. Do you think this information in the page is genuine or tongue in cheek ? Confused
Daytona
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit, I did a quick bit of searching around last night and found that site but it was the only one which stated this. If it is correct I'm surprised that sites such as the AA and RAC do not mention it as satnavs are becoming more and more widespread and someone driving there would be extremely likely to be using one.
Daytona
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've emailed the RAC to specifically ask what the legal position is. I'll post up any reply.
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Yesterday I surfed all evening to see if any sites, specifically mentions GPS.
All I could find was a couple of sites that state that DVD or Imaging devices are illegal if in the view of the driver on Spanish roads. So Does GPS’s come under the “Imaging” banner, I hope not as I was planning to visit Spain when on holiday in the south of France this summer.
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: