Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pensioner needs help (and a zimmer frame)?.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pensioner needs help (and a zimmer frame)?.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edcamp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Pensioner needs help (and a zimmer frame)?. Reply with quote

Hi All. Have now spent over a week searching for the GPS that I would like.
My main criteria are; Good maps of Europe (Spain, France, Belgium & the u/k). Waypoints (Via's). Voice prompts (with street names?). Use in towns on foot (got lost in Valencia the other week). A good poi's database (with caravan sites?). A to B to C using secondary roads. Recalculate route (missed turns). Preferably pocket size ,similar to Nuvi 350. Route via waypoints reverse, not to important.
As I am retired I like to go out sight seeing when based at home so I think Via points would be handy. I also am going touring Europe for a couple of months but I like to keep off the main roads and visit interesting villages. Do you think the Nuvi 350 would be a good choice, or something else?. I would appreciate your replies as I am going round the bend searching. Thanks everyone. Ed. Sad
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No knowledge of the Nuvi 350 but it says
Quote:
The nuvi 350 automatically calculates the fastest route

Only the fastest route? Better check whether you can choose shortest, cycling, walking route.

For the money you are thinking of investing I'd suggest you have a browse on the globalpositioningsystems site, where you may see a 'bundle' which would suit your requirements.

Check the unit you decide on has Serf Star III Chipset.

There is speculation that the existing TomTom Navigator 5 software will be updated to 6 around May of this year. It may be worth hanging on, although if you purchased 5 now you could be offered an 'update' at a reduced price. It happened with previous updates but of course, there is no guarantee they will do it again.
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think from your post you have decided to get the 350, don't think you will be disappointed. Most other units are not nearly as neat as the 350.

The other option is a PDA but will involve swapping maps on to the memory card, not ideal.
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remembered, another option is the Garmin Quest 2, i guess the software maps etc are very similar to the 350 but may suit you better.

http://www.garmin.com/products/quest2/
Garmin: Quest 2

You may find it cheaper as probably less popular than 350.
highwayman212
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you might want to consider is if you want the unit to only be a navigation device. The Nuvi is predominatly a navigation device. A PDA with integrated GPS will give you more options e.g. if you are a walker OS mapping software is available. Just released is the mio A701 (see mitec clones forum) which adds the phone into the mix as well as integrated gps and therefore reduces the number of boxes to carry round (prob my next upgrade). A choice of navigation software is available supplied on SD card. It also means you are not tied to Garmin in the future (though this isnt nessesarily a bad thing). However they will likely require more setting up than a Nuvi or equivalent

What ever you choose good luck and in case you havent spotted comments elsewhere even the ring left by the sucker or the mount on your windscreen can be an invitation to lowlifes to break in to your car to try your glove box so a few simple precautions are prudent.
edcamp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Thans All Reply with quote

Hi Folks. Thanks for the trouble of replying to my request. Having gone back to the drawing board and done more research I have decided on the 350. None of them are perfect for all my needs but this one seems to be nearest.
Thanks a lot. Ed camp :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: