Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Warning Distance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Warning Distance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mystery
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks WeeHappyPixie I have indeed been to that site but unfortunately as I use echoes and increase volume most of the voices end up sounding like a bad case of hiccups Laughing Out Loud.
I managed by using built in voice recorder and sounds from elsewhere that I cut and built to get my sounds . Thanks anyway and hope that the ones I have done suit the purpose.

I was considering using the wife to record but as I have to listen to her most of the time I did not want to add her to my GPS as well Wink

Billum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An advantage of POI Warner (it costs a little) is that you can set the warnings upto 30 secs before the camera, the distance is calculated for you from the speed. It also warns of cameras on bridges.

I have set my warnings at 30 secs and 12 secs. I have played with the WAV files so they also give the speed limit with the warning. Smile
kieronishere
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been following this for a while and sorry for the probably simple newbie question but I haven't been able to find the answer - will POI warner and/or CheckPOint work with a tomtom one as well as navigator running on a PDA?
Billum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kieronishere wrote:
Been following this for a while and sorry for the probably simple newbie question but I haven't been able to find the answer - will POI warner and/or CheckPOint work with a tomtom one as well as navigator running on a PDA?

Poi Warner is used when running Navigator. I don't use the Tomtom warning but use Poi Warner to give warnings for the particular POI one is approaching. For instance when approaching a mobile camera with a speed limit. I set it to warn 30 seconds before the camera and I get the warning "Mobile speed camera in area - speed limit 30 mph" . So you don't need to look away from the road.

Hope this helps
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too, but, I back that up with a TT alarm on at 750yards....(as my wife got caught and the clear photo shows the back of her car 330metres away....and I didn't realise that they can catch you going away from the camera as apposed to approaching it.) I have to say that when I stopped to enquire at my local 'regular' mobile site...(very pleasant they were too!)...the guy gave me a demonstration of a car travelling AWAY from the camera around 650 yards away...(that's near as damn it, half mile), and I have to say that the printed image was excellent. His suggestion ?, 'do not accelerate away until you are actually out of sight of the camera.'....pretty good advice, me thinks!
kieronishere
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but I still haven't had anyone confirm that POI warner or CheckPOInt will run successfully on a TOmtom one or go300 or any of the other standalone units. Sorry if I'm being thick here.
Also, does the above software allow you to set it up so that you only get the warning if you are actually exceeding the speed limit for that particular camera?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kieronishere wrote:
Thanks but I still haven't had anyone confirm that POI warner or CheckPOInt will run successfully on a TOmtom one or go300 or any of the other standalone units. Sorry if I'm being thick here.
Also, does the above software allow you to set it up so that you only get the warning if you are actually exceeding the speed limit for that particular camera?

No it doesn't work with the GO range, as they have a different Operating System.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystery wrote:
Thanks WeeHappyPixie I have indeed been to that site but unfortunately as I use echoes and increase volume most of the voices end up sounding like a bad case of hiccups Laughing Out Loud.
I managed by using built in voice recorder and sounds from elsewhere that I cut and built to get my sounds . Thanks anyway and hope that the ones I have done suit the purpose.

I was considering using the wife to record but as I have to listen to her most of the time I did not want to add her to my GPS as well Wink

If you are looking for quality voice files Ray Flanagan offers three sets of OGG files on his website. http://www.tomtomsatnav.info/realvoice.html
I added your siren to the front of Liz Whitackers warning prompts in Sound Forge. The siren grabs your attention then there is the clarity of the prompt.
GeneticCommandConsole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I also set a warning for the cameras I have recorded using POICapture so as not to multiple capture the same camera

I thought this was automatic Exclamation Question
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, you need to use the Warn when near POI function and set it up to issue a proximity warning for the "PocketGPScameras" POI, if you set this it is very handy to illustrate how accurate your previous capture was in terms of the real stored location - Mike
GeneticCommandConsole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Nope, you need to use the Warn when near POI function and set it up to issue a proximity warning for the "PocketGPScameras" POI

Thanks for this - I don't think its in the instructions Question Idea

mikealder wrote:
if you set this it is very handy to illustrate how accurate your previous capture was in terms of the real stored location

That's cool but once you have confirmed this how do you remove it from the "PocketGPScameras" POI Question

Be nice if you could issue a different .BMP too please because before you explained this I mistakenly thought it was SPECS cameras that were showing up onscreen but I was not being warned about Exclamation Exclamation Idea

Perhaps a totally different colour with "POIC" text below Question Idea
GeneticCommandConsole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
. . I saved my calculations for 30, 20, 15 and 10 secs. To save anyone having to do the whole thing, here are the figures.

Many thanks for these, however, as :-
mikealder wrote:
. . I also add to the resultant figure an extra 300 yards for the mobile cameras

and
Mikeact wrote:
. . a regular mobile speed van . . The operating lady told me that it is good for at least 1000 mtrs

. . what should I actually add to each of these calculations for mobile cameras (if 1094 yards =1000 meters) Question

Many thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To remove the files you need to e-mail them to the site (for inclusion into the next database release, if accepted), this also gives you the chance to obtain a free for life membership if you are the first to report a fixed camera location.

Once you have done this you can simply delete the PocketGPScameras.ov2 file from the memory card, or simply leave it in place it won't cause any harm to submit the same data again.

Don't just record "New" cameras though, record ALL of them, this data will then be used to improve the accuracy of the database.

You could edit the icon in Windows Paint if you want to, as to the distance you want a warning for I am afraid that is down to the individual, if its 1000 yards to the detection zone I would use this as a value - Mike
GeneticCommandConsole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
To remove the files you need to e-mail them to the site . . Once you have done this you can simply delete the PocketGPScameras.ov2 file from the memory card
Thanks for this - I don't think its in the instructions either Question Idea Mind you by doing this isn't the User setting themselves up again for problems with initiating the POIC software Sad Question Perhaps User instructions should be directly editable by Members like Wikipedia Question Idea

And doesn't it go against your earlier Question
mikealder wrote:
it is very handy to illustrate how accurate your previous capture was in terms of the real stored location
i.e. not all my captured cameras are guaranteed to be in the next release so it would be easier surely if either I could remove again via the POIC interface or be given instructions on how to edit the file myself Smile

mikealder wrote:
Don't just record "New" cameras though, record ALL of them, this data will then be used to improve the accuracy of the database.
I'd love to be able to do this but it just isn't practical. It's difficult enough recording new ones or removing old ones :o Exclamation Putting the POIC application on TomTom Screen 1 would help IMHO Idea

mikealder wrote:
You could edit the icon in Windows Paint if you want to
Any users out there better at this than me ? :D

mikealder wrote:
as to the distance you want a warning for I am afraid that is down to the individual
Sorry but this is pretty unhelpful Crying or Very sad I was looking for an update on Lost_Property's posting
pieandapint
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Slightly off topic... Reply with quote

Sorry this is slightly off topic but I've been using this thread to try and create a new data.chk file but with beep1-5 replaced with speed camera warnings but cannot get the remaining original ogg files for the data.chk file.

Does anybody know a way to extract or a doanload location for these files?

Thanks in advance
Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: